Slow Closing Apps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow Closing Apps

In Windows 10, apps I close using the X often take a couple of seconds to close. The application window fades to gray/black, stays there a second or wo, then the window disappears. Windows is non-responsive during that "gray" time.

Has anyone seen this?

I can't say I've seen that, but I have occasionally seen an extended delay between the main form being closed and the executable task actually going out of memory.
    Real programmers use a magnetized needle and a steady hand

Comment

I removed Dragon Naturally Speaking and the problem seems to have disappeared. That's annoying!

Comment

This reminds me of something I struggled with when struggling with OLE in old 16-bit Windows (3.x), where apps sometimes would crash badly on exit because the ole engine for some reason didn't want to let go in time when the program was closing. Never found a good solution except for adding my own short delay at exit - sort of synchronize the two processes to avoid a nasty crash that could take down the whole system. Those where interesting times. Maybe can kill Dragon Naturally Speaking process before exiting your program, in some way?

Comment

Threads?
          WaitForSingleObject?

Comment

Sorry guys, when I said applications, I should have clarified it happened all apps - like Chrome, FileZilla, Skype ... apps I did not write as well as my own PBWin apps.

I''ll have to try Dragon again when I have some time to play with it, to see if it can repeat. It's such a big install - about 2GB,

Comment

Not a problem Gary. What is your OS version? It may be time to Reset your system. I had problems like that with 1803 and 1809. Ah, from your diagnostics it appears Dragon has issues. Sorry about that.

Likely there is an underlying OS issue that does not show itself until you add an extra load to the system. That is what I found out.
              Could someone be getting a present for Christmas? Ha Ha

I cannot emphasize this enough. Windows Reset is your friend...
              Just make sure you back up all your important files first. That includes your desktop and public shares.
              Last edited by Jim Fritts; 10 Nov 2019, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Not the same but similar Windows anomaly, as number of apps increases, time for setup programs to launch increases rapidly (seems out of proportion to increase in registry size).

Comment

Gary, maybe your system performance needs a check

use the Windows built-in diagnostics tool called Performance Monitor to test Computer Performance

type at the command prompt and wait for two minutes to see the report

> perfmon /report

The report would have :

Warning: This section comes up if there are any warnings of issues
                  the computer is facing. It provides related links to more information
                  about the situation and how to solve it.
                  for example : hardware that are disabled such as audio, wireless are shown

Basic System Checks:
                  This section contains the CHECKS of the OS,
                  Disks, Security Center
                  related information, System Services, Hardware
                  and Drivers.
                  It will show any Failure in the checks

Resource Overview: This section shows you the major parts of your system
                  including the CPU, Disk, Memory and Network.
                  There are different
                  colors of lights to indicate the severity of the issues, namely red,
                  amber or green lights. It provides details on the current status of
                  the system.

will review and comments on loads and utilization of
                  CPU
                  Disk I/O
                  Memory

If there are problems these are listed. Major common hardware problems are failing hard drive and RAM

Comment

Gary, what happens if you click outside the programs windows to possibly another GUI or the desktop top then click on the X button.
                    More than likely, Dragon knows your focus is on the program your trying to close.
                    What also happens if you disable Dragon's functions before the X button while your program has focus from Dragon.
                    p purvis

Comment

Working...
                    X