Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternatives to PowerBasic for Windows ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dean goodman
    replied
    Time for an update from Drake.... Where are you in the development of PB64... Vaporware ideology is bs.... Tell us now whether it is happening or not... The corpse needs to be buried already ....... or ...... are there stem cells to revive him? Update please!!!! .... beaching whale

Leave a comment:

• Patrice Terrier
    replied
    Hutch is right,

the nVIDIA latest libraries i am using are only available in 64-bit, and they are written in C++.

Also a good knowledge of C is a MANDATORY if you want to write GPU shaders.

Leave a comment:

• George Bleck
    replied
    sarcasm missed

Leave a comment:

• Steve Hutchesson
    replied
    I think the point that Patrice is making is that 32 development has long ago stopped in graphics cards and 64 bit is the norm for new and upcoming stuff. Most GPU code is run from libraries and they are almost exclusively modern 64 bit.

Leave a comment:

• George Bleck
    replied
    Curious how people used GPUs on 32bit OS's in the past. In fact we have quite the number of Win7 devices with GPUs in my office.

Leave a comment:

• Patrice Terrier
    replied
    From my perspective, a SSD, a nVIDIA graphic card, and a gamming computer are also a mandatory

Leave a comment:

• Stuart McLachlan
    replied
    Originally posted by Patrice Terrier View Post
    And when dealing with the GPU, 64-bit is a mandatory
    VLC makes limited use of the GPU.
    One of these two statements is obviously incorrect.

Leave a comment:

• Patrice Terrier
    replied
    VLC makes limited use of the GPU.
    Try to run a 3D engine on 32-bit and do the same on 64-bit, and you will see the difference especially with nVIdia drivers.

Leave a comment:

• Stuart McLachlan
    replied
    Originally posted by Patrice Terrier View Post
    And when dealing with the GPU, 64-bit is a mandatory..
    Strange, Task manager tells me that my 32bit VLC is using the GPU.

Click image for larger version  Name:	vlc.jpg Views:	7 Size:	41.9 KB ID:	809427

Leave a comment:

• Patrice Terrier
    replied
    Using 64-bit you bypass wow64.
    For graphic intensive application there is a speed gain of at least 30%.
    And when dealing with the GPU, 64-bit is a mandatory..

Leave a comment:

• Michael Mattias
    replied
    I got five bucks says both Mr. Hutchesson and Mr. Terrier are doing "something" different from what they do on Win/32.

Leave a comment:

• Patrice Terrier
    replied
    I would never go back to 32-bit,

Leave a comment:

• Steve Hutchesson
    replied
    > Using 64-bit versus 32-bit offers no - none, zero, nada, zip, squat - advantages unless you change your program to take advantage of the 64-bit bus.

Now here is a man displaying his extensive experience in writing 64 bit software.

Leave a comment:

• Eddy Van Esch
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Hutchesson View Post

... some nerd from Microsoft who said you will never need more than 640k of memory, I wonder who that was.
    Didn't he get divorced recently...?

Leave a comment:

• Stuart McLachlan
    replied
    Originally posted by Bud Durland View Post
    In any case, my outlook is that it's not yet time to sweat about it too much. I'm keeping my eye on the development landscape, to stay apprised of the options, as well as making myself smarter about using the tool I have -- PowerBASIC.
    My sentiments exactly

Leave a comment:

• Bud Durland
    replied
    Originally posted by Fim Wästberg View Post
    If PB does not come in any new form, for example 64 bit, within five years I consider converting the the PB code to some other environment/language.
    If so, what should I choose to convert as much as possible with a conversion program (which I have to write myself)?
    Fim W.
    For the past 20 years, I've used PB to supplement (and in some instances replace) functionality of the ERP system we use at work, so perhaps you and I are kindred spirits. I have about 25 major PB projects built with FireFly (I do wish Paul would open source that), plus other little one-offs. I have no idea how many lines of code, but lots. We may soon be looking to change ERP system, which means re-writing some code, and perhaps scrapping other pieces as obsolete.

Everything is working now, and PB continues to compile programs that run fine in Win/10 and are blindingly fast. I'm not feeling rushed, but I am planning for the future. As tempting as a conversion program is because of the saved time, I believe in my heart that the real best answer is to just bring up a blank editor window in the new environment and start over. Of course, the algorithms survive, but the best translation is probably done by a human. This would be true even if (maybe especially if) a PB/64 appeared tomorrow.

For my needs any new environment has to have a visual designer; this is non-negotiable. ODBC connectivity is a must, as is the ability to continue to use LibXL and Virtual Print Engine (VPE). I'm not worried too much about the 32/64 bit question. None of the programs I've written will really take advantage of 64 bit (well, maybe one, but only because it creates a huge temporary disk file). If in a few years my hand is forced away from PB, the obvious contenders are Visual Studio (C++, C#, VB) or Embarcadero, but some others could work, like PowerBuilder.

In any case, my outlook is that it's not yet time to sweat about it too much. I'm keeping my eye on the development landscape, to stay apprised of the options, as well as making myself smarter about using the tool I have -- PowerBASIC.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Mattias
    replied
    I gave this same response in another place here in the forums, but it's relevant to this thread, too.

Using 64-bit versus 32-bit offers no - none, zero, nada, zip, squat - advantages unless you change your program to take advantage of the 64-bit bus.

I am guessing here, but 195 programs with a lot of GOTO in MS-DOS could sure as hell be converted to Windows using fewer programs and a lot less GOTO statements. No way can you be taking advantage of the Windows O/S here, except to be able to say "it runs on Win/64 now."

I take it back; I am not guessing. I have done this kind of thing enough to know porting to a new O/S is "a lot more than matching the previous code verb-for-verb, function-for-function and statement-for-statement."

MCM

Leave a comment:

• Mike Doty
    replied
    If you have been working on the system for years it is possible to reduce all those programs using a common runtime.
    When I did this with a huge system and used SQLite the code was reduced by about 75%.

Leave a comment:

• Fim Wästberg
    replied
    Thanks for all the advice, tips and comments.
    I'm not doing anything for the time being.
    /Fim W

Leave a comment:

• Mike Stefanik
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike Doty View Post
    August 2, Windows 365 comes out.
    It is definitely another environment.
    It's still Windows 10 (or Windows 11 when it releases) and Windows 365 looks like it's essentially Azure VDI with Microsoft 365-like pricing and built to integrate better into that ecosystem. The advantages are more for the IT guys and the bean counters: easier to deploy, and easier to estimate and manage costs. The weaknesses of Azure VDI was its complexity and lackluster analytics. It sounds like they've made provisioning and onboarding for end users a lot simpler.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X