No announcement yet.

PBWin 10.04 Crash During Debug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rodney: Never knew that, you learn something every day.

Comment

Richard, what happens is you shut down your AV altogether?

George, perhaps we need a Trivia forum for things that PB does that we don't encounter too often, or don't see often because it works so seamlessly.
      Rod
      In some future era, dark matter and dark energy will only be found in Astronomy's Dark Ages.

Comment

Originally posted by richard robinson1 View Post
        George,

Not sure, I don't have another PC with PB installed on it at the moment, but can give it a go.
        I susspect that it is more likely to be a file/DLL corruption somewhere, but i would have hoped that the reinstall would have fixed it, unless PB is using other system DLL's (which may) have been corrupted?
        Did you delete the previous copy entirely before re-installing?

Comment

Stuart,
          Did you delete the previous copy entirely before re-installing?
          No, not tried that yet, will have to give it a go later
          Richard

Comment

OK This is interesting, have just fully uninstalled PB using the uninstaller which should hopefully have removed eveything. Reinstalled PB and ran it, the fonts were different since i also removed the original INI file. I went into 'Options' and on the debugger tab, checked the 'Show Exceptions' for 'Information' and 'Warning' which by default are not checked and i never had them checked originally.

Loaded the previous For/Next test program and again the debugger crahed, so full reinstall did not fix the issue, but with the additional exceptions checked, i got the following error message:-
            onecore\com\combase\objact\dllcache.cxx(2070)\combase.dll!76945CDC: (caller: 768AB620) ReturnHr(1) tid(2904) 800401F9 Error in the DLL
            onecore\com\combase\objact\dllcache.cxx(2070)\combase.dll!76945CDC: (caller: 768AB620) ReturnHr(2) tid(2904) 800401F9 Error in the DLL
            onecore\com\combase\objact\dllcache.cxx(2070)\combase.dll!76945CDC: (caller: 768AB620) ReturnHr(3) tid(2904) 800401F9 Error in the DLL
            I have no idea what 'combase.dll' is, but i would guess it is the cause of the problem, any ideas would be appreciated!
            Richard

Comment

What is onecore ?

In File Explorer, C: selected I put onecore in Search Quick access and hit enter.

Things on desktop blinked, icons disappeared from task bar, Windows Explorer closed, icons back one-by-one, Windows Explorer didn't come back.

It is not PB. PB just "tripped over" something else going on.

Did you the type error lines? Or was "\objact" (with an "a") really in there?
              Dale

Comment

combase.dll shows up in several places C:\Windows\System32 and C:\Windows\SysWOW64 are two locations on my machine but several more are listed. The versions I have were last updated on 2021/11/09, and in System32 the size is 3.34 MB while SysWOW64 is 2.51 MB. There is also a C:\Windows\WinSxS with paths to the same dll.
                Perhaps a Windows update is in order.
                Search for onecore\com\combase\objact\dllcache.cxx found nothing.
                Rod
                In some future era, dark matter and dark energy will only be found in Astronomy's Dark Ages.

Comment

I did not search for combase.dll, just "onecore".

Not surprised you found nothing. "objact" is not a word.
                  Dale

Comment

Hi Dale,
                    The quoted error message was a copy and paste, so "objact" is exactly as displayed!

I had a search for the combase.dll on my machine, not sure why but i have multiple copies of it, all different sizes? I found it in:-
                    'C:\Windows\SysWOW64' 2.46MB
                    'C:\Windows\System32' 3.21MB
                    along with copies in various sub folders of Windows\System32, all of which are different sizes.

I did a WEB search for 'onecore' to see if i could find out what it was, looks like it may be the start of a new universal Microsoft Kernal see https://www.windowscentral.com/windo...linkedin-pages

Richard

Comment

"objact" being displayed may mean that there is a language issue, that is, that the error is being reported with some input from some other locale, whether you have been switching between locales or some ghost program has misfired,
                      Richard,
                      There is a "sapi_onecore.dll" listed in the COM Browser which is where I first saw 'onecore', so there may be some basis for your last statement.
                      A search for "objact" in DuckDuckGo results in several hits in languages that are all Greek to me.
                      There is no date modified with your sizes for combase.dll which are smaller than the ones on my machine so an update may be in order?
                      Rod

Comment

Might have to try updating Windows to see if that helps the issue at all, i've been putting off because my C: drive is an SSD with not a lot of storage left on it, and Windows insists on making a backup copy as well as downloading the new image before installing, all of which is taking more space than i currently have available.
                        Richard

Comment

Quite a few hits taking about this type of error in various development environments, but only when debugging, in a search for "onecore\com\combase"

Some info about onecore: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...ectedfrom=MSDN

FWIW I've never really used Compile and Debug, I've never seen a need tor it
                          So I tried Compile and Debug on the code I just posted in the Coloured Tooltps thread.

It didn't work. I just got a compile error:
                          Incompatible symbol table version in file
                          C:\DevSystems\PBMIsc\ToolTipDemo.exe.PBD

I'm running PB WIn10.04 or Win10 21H1.

It looks like there may be a problem with Debug tools in all sorts of development environments withrecent Windows versions - so it's more likely a WIndows Bug that anything PB can fix.

Comment

It looks like there may be a problem with Debug tools in all sorts of development environments withrecent Windows versions - so it's more likely a WIndows Bug that anything PB can fix.
                            In a couple of places it is suggested that clearing out the windows temp folder can help..?
                            Rgds, Dave

Comment

Working...
                            X