Bin2DB conversion tool.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bin2DB conversion tool.

I wrote the original in 1998 in PBDLL 5.0 and with a few tweaks it built OK in PBWIN90. I will not post the source because I don't consider it up to scratch any more, its been very reliable and does what it is supposed to do but its probably a bit off the pace speed wise for very large files.

When I get in front I will rewrite it using a lookup table and post the source as well.

This version takes any file, binary or otherwise, converts it to DB format and places it in a working string function so all you need to do to use the function is call it and place the result in a normal basic dynamic string.

Regards,

hutch
    Attached Files
    hutch at movsd dot com
    The MASM Forum

www.masm32.com

Bin2DB Tool

Hallo Hutch,
    I used your excellent and fast Bin2DB tool often and like it a lot.

Lately I needed something that would also work from the Commandline, so i had to do something myself.

This one was inspired by your old tool:

http://www.jose.it-berater.org/smffo...p?topic=3167.0

and is another alternative, for tasks which need to be done often in the same way.

Comment

Hi Theo,

A command line version makes sense if you have to deal with a lot of files.

I had a look at the link to the forum but could not find a link to your app, always enjoy pinching other peoples tools.

At the risk of being a pain, could you post the link to your tool as it would be useful to have around.

Regards,

utch at movsd dot com
      hutch at movsd dot com
      The MASM Forum

www.masm32.com

Comment

The attached file is the test piece for the next GUI version I have to write. It is a fully functional console app that will convert any file of any type to a PowerBASIC string function that can be written to disk with normal basic file IO functions.

It has two algorithms written in assembler, the BYTE to DB conversion and a following compaction algo to reduce the output size and the pair are far faster than the old version I wrote about 9 or 10 years ago as it is a lookup table type based on the byte being processed.

The output basic string function is named "Rename_Me_xxxxx" where xxxxx is a more or less unique number to encourage the renaming of the output function to something more intuitive.

If you have nightmares about assembler code, just put the assembler algos in a seperate file and don't look at them, just call the required functions ad get the output result.

Regards,

hutch
        Attached Files
        hutch at movsd dot com
        The MASM Forum

www.masm32.com

Comment

Great Job Hutch

Your new tool is again a speed improvement over all existing tools .

The Downloads in Joses's Forum are only available to registered users, therefore i have sent you a mail on that topic.

Comment

I tried downloading this file three times. Each time I get a messgage from winrar that the file is corrupted.

thanks.
            A man thinks that by mouthing hard words he understands hard things.

Comment

Paul,

I just tested the download again and it arrives intact and unpacks with my version of Winrar. Exe run normally.

I have a new version but I would like to do some more testing on it yet before releasing it.
              hutch at movsd dot com
              The MASM Forum

www.masm32.com

Comment

Hutch:
                They have 'trend micro' office scan running here at school, says that the bin2db.exe is a virus, or malware, and unable to isolate it. I am not worried about it, just thought I would let you know. Despite the message, I got the file OK.
                A man thinks that by mouthing hard words he understands hard things.

Comment

Thanks Paul,

The source is very old > 10 years and even though I built it in PBWIN90 it has no manifest built into the resources or version information which the new one has so when I get it tested a bit more I will post the binary.

The standard of AV heuristic scanning is so poor these days that you cannot always get a file past them, no matter what you do with it.
                  hutch at movsd dot com
                  The MASM Forum

www.masm32.com

Comment

Hello Steve

I am waiting for the new binary,too. Great little tool Steve.
                    • J. Buckel
                      Amicus certus in re incerta cernitur.
                      Marcus Tullius Cicero

Comment

Working...
                    X