An American Cares

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gösta H. Lovgren-2 View Post
    What I do know is JS scripts run on Maxthon on my computer but not on IE (or clones).
    IE settings for the web are separate from IE settings for your computer.

Under Internet Options, click security settings, scroll to find and click on "your computer" and then click on "custom level". Scripting is likely disabled by default (not necessarily a bad idea) and you should be able to enable it.
    Last edited by Brice Manuel; 18 Jan 2008, 08:26 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Thanks Brice. Just tried your suggestion and changed several "scripting" options Under Tools>Internet Options>Security>Custom Level (there's quite a few differebnt options), but none I tried seemed to work. I changd them all back.

Having to run Maxthon to test is not a big deal. Just a minor pita really. More trouble/work remembering to use it than anything else. {grin}
      It's a pretty day. I hope you enjoy it.

Gösta

JWAM: (Quit Smoking): http://www.SwedesDock.com/smoking
      LDN - A Miracle Drug: http://www.SwedesDock.com/LDN/

Comment

Ack, should have mentioned that if you are on a home network, you might have to fiddle with the "intranet" settings, too. Oh well, since IE is not even close to being standards compliant, it is probably not a good idea to use it as your testing browser anyway.

Anyway, thank you for the mention of Maxthon. It is now my browser of choice. Buhbye Opera :wavey:

Comment

it is probably not a good idea to use it as your testing browser anyway
          Other than the fact that, good or bad, IE still has the largest number of users
          Software makes Hardware Happen

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Byrne View Post
            Other than the fact that, good or bad, IE still has the largest number of users
            True, but the percentages have shifted over the past five years. There are a lot more people using third-party browsers than there used to be. Support industry standards or Microsoft's bastardization of those standards? MS would appear to be learning a lesson as IE8 is supposed to be standards compliant.

Comment

Originally posted by Brice Manuel View Post
              True, but the percentages have shifted over the past five years. There are a lot more people using third-party browsers than there used to be. Support industry standards or Microsoft's bastardization of those standards? MS would appear to be learning a lesson as IE8 is supposed to be standards compliant.
              Ah, ok. Point?

The idea that one can write a program that requires a browser, and ignore IE, is total foolishness. Even if the percentages have "shifted" (which doesn't really seem to be the case according to my source, but no matter), you still have a lot of people on IE. I for example, never use it, BUT the browser I do use is based on (ie. makes use of) IE so in effect, I am still using IE.

And *if* MS decides to follow the standards closer in the future only makes the case to support IE even stronger, doesn't it?
              Software makes Hardware Happen

Comment

and ignore IE, is total foolishness.
                One could say the same about MS's refusal (or inability) to support industry standards.

Comment

personally, while I prefer w3 standards I think IE has some good stuff with it,

too bad all the browser developers can't work 100% together, for we miss out on some powerful things

http://www.quirksmode.com/ pretty much explains it all

Comment

I use an older WYSIWYG web editor that seems to work fine with IE, so it doesn't bother me directly. But I do get tired of visiting sites and having to switch browsers to actually display the site properly.

Unfortunately, all browsers have their pros and cons. So far, I am really liking Maxthon. Although it is IE based, I am very impressed. Best IE based browser I have ever used.

Comment

Working...
                    X