An American Cares

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    I use an older WYSIWYG web editor that seems to work fine with IE, so it doesn't bother me directly. But I do get tired of visiting sites and having to switch browsers to actually display the site properly.

Unfortunately, all browsers have their pros and cons. So far, I am really liking Maxthon. Although it is IE based, I am very impressed. Best IE based browser I have ever used.

Leave a comment:

• Brad D Byrne
    replied
    personally, while I prefer w3 standards I think IE has some good stuff with it,

too bad all the browser developers can't work 100% together, for we miss out on some powerful things

http://www.quirksmode.com/ pretty much explains it all

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    and ignore IE, is total foolishness.
    One could say the same about MS's refusal (or inability) to support industry standards.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Byrne
    replied
    Originally posted by Brice Manuel View Post
    True, but the percentages have shifted over the past five years. There are a lot more people using third-party browsers than there used to be. Support industry standards or Microsoft's bastardization of those standards? MS would appear to be learning a lesson as IE8 is supposed to be standards compliant.
    Ah, ok. Point?

The idea that one can write a program that requires a browser, and ignore IE, is total foolishness. Even if the percentages have "shifted" (which doesn't really seem to be the case according to my source, but no matter), you still have a lot of people on IE. I for example, never use it, BUT the browser I do use is based on (ie. makes use of) IE so in effect, I am still using IE.

And *if* MS decides to follow the standards closer in the future only makes the case to support IE even stronger, doesn't it?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Joe Byrne View Post
    Other than the fact that, good or bad, IE still has the largest number of users
    True, but the percentages have shifted over the past five years. There are a lot more people using third-party browsers than there used to be. Support industry standards or Microsoft's bastardization of those standards? MS would appear to be learning a lesson as IE8 is supposed to be standards compliant.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Byrne
    replied
    it is probably not a good idea to use it as your testing browser anyway
    Other than the fact that, good or bad, IE still has the largest number of users

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Ack, should have mentioned that if you are on a home network, you might have to fiddle with the "intranet" settings, too. Oh well, since IE is not even close to being standards compliant, it is probably not a good idea to use it as your testing browser anyway.

Anyway, thank you for the mention of Maxthon. It is now my browser of choice. Buhbye Opera :wavey:

Leave a comment:

• Gösta H. Lovgren-2
    replied
    Thanks Brice. Just tried your suggestion and changed several "scripting" options Under Tools>Internet Options>Security>Custom Level (there's quite a few differebnt options), but none I tried seemed to work. I changd them all back.

Having to run Maxthon to test is not a big deal. Just a minor pita really. More trouble/work remembering to use it than anything else. {grin}

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Gösta H. Lovgren-2 View Post
    What I do know is JS scripts run on Maxthon on my computer but not on IE (or clones).
    IE settings for the web are separate from IE settings for your computer.

Under Internet Options, click security settings, scroll to find and click on "your computer" and then click on "custom level". Scripting is likely disabled by default (not necessarily a bad idea) and you should be able to enable it.
    Last edited by Brice Manuel; 18 Jan 2008, 08:26 AM. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

• Gösta H. Lovgren-2
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul Franks View Post
    You are confusing Java and JavaScript. They have nothing to do with each other.
    I don't doubt that. My knowledge of either is less than scant (obviously). What I do know is JS scripts run on Maxthon on my computer but not on IE (or clones). However the scripts run fine on the website(s) regardless of browser.

======================================
    "I've just learned about his illness.
    Let's hope it's nothing trivial."
    Irvin S. Cobb
    ======================================

Leave a comment:

• Paul Franks
    replied
    Checked Tool/Internet Options/Advanced and Java(Sun) is enabled. Maybe I need a different version of Java Script (not Sun). Just checked the Control Panel/Add Remove Programs and there is Java Runtime Environment 6 installed.

Any suggestion on other JavaScripts? Other JS routines run. I have various snippets in a lot of programs and all others seem to be fine.

My guess is that I got all the Java applets up and running last year on a different computer and when I got the new one a different version of Java was installed, a pecularity of which doesn't allow IE to use Java from the hard drive. Strange that Maxthon and Firefox does though.

You are confusing Java and JavaScript. They have nothing to do with each other. The Sun Java runtime can run Java (not JavaScript) applets in your browser, but nobody uses applets anymore, because they load far too slowly.

JavaScript is an implementation of the ECMAScript ISO standard, known as JScript in IE (which deviates enough from the standard to be the source of considerable additional coding).

Leave a comment:

• Gösta H. Lovgren-2
    replied
    Just an Update

Shawn,

I played around with your JavaScript example today. (honestly first chance I've had since earlier posts). Think I have a handle on it and will try more tomorrow.

As for the AAC project itself, as anyone could have predicted, politics seems to have injected itself {oh well, what else is new?} However all is not Doom & Gloom. See http://www.AnAmericanCares.com/History.html for details.

====================================
    A successful marriage is an edifice
    that must be rebuilt every day.
    André Maurois
    ====================================

Leave a comment:

• Gösta H. Lovgren-2
    replied
    Final(?) Demo page up

I spent the morning putting up a page that in principle demos what I think the Choice page should look like (http://www.anamericancares.com/Choose_Destination.html).

I won't have any more time (leaving on Sat for a couple weeks for a long planned vacation) to work on it until I get back (Jan 1 or 2).

Any suggestions you guys may have (on this page or any other aspect of the AAC project) are really really really really appreciated though. It's difficult to get thoughtful candid feedback anywhere else.

Leave a comment:

• Gösta H. Lovgren-2
    replied
    Originally posted by Brad D Byrne View Post
    Gösta,

now that you got a start on this, maybe you want reread the posts,

as mentioned you need to decide on a database, (and btw javascript can handle 1000's of records with no problem) yet you need to think about what's down the road, what features will you want to support later? ie, allowing users to add organizations, and then added a means to qualify or validate the legitimacy of that data, etc.
    I was just thinking of how many lines (10,000's?) would be in the html page if/when I generated one with all the options using Shawn's JS example.

you can build your database/s with PB, but not on a linux server, which I believe you are running, correct? if so, then you will likely want to use MySQL & PhP to handle the updating.

anyway, http://w3schools.com has some good MySQL/PhP tutorials you might want to look thru, MySQL allows you to filter the files on keys, so you can say create an Organization db, that holds all the Org's sorted a-z, with keys for "world area"/"country"/.../"rating" etc,

I havn't really ever tested speed comparisons for MySQL structure layouts so I don't know best db structure yet, but over the holidays I'll take a look, hopefully someone else here will pipe in
    Not to be a noodge but I honestly don't have the mental capacity or time to be leaning a new language right now. Up to my ears as it is updating http://www.AnAmericanCares.com. Things are REALLY starting to pop. See http://www.AnAmericanCares.com/History.html) and click on 2007-12-12. Lots more going on behind the scenes too.

Note there is a real chance, if AAC gets adopted, the government won't host a website manned by volunteers. It will insist on either doing it "in house" (in whatever agency it gets assigned to) or, more likely, a contract will be let to a private sector programming firm.

In the meantime a functioning demo is important, maybe even critical, to getting AAC passed. Thanks your efforts Brad (and Shawn) so far. Even Joe because he caused me to think about http://www.AnAmericanCares.com/Security.html issues. Later I plan to add a "Pro & Con" page.

Leave a comment:

• Brad D Byrne
    replied
    225 countries in the world. I'm pretty sure that rules out using JavaScript for a real project, maybe as a demo (all I want really at this point). 225 countries with dozens (hundreds possible) of possible charities in each makes a pretty long Select list {grin}.
    Gösta,

now that you got a start on this, maybe you want reread the posts,

as mentioned you need to decide on a database, (and btw javascript can handle 1000's of records with no problem) yet you need to think about what's down the road, what features will you want to support later? ie, allowing users to add organizations, and then added a means to qualify or validate the legitimacy of that data, etc.

you can build your database/s with PB, but not on a linux server, which I believe you are running, correct? if so, then you will likely want to use MySQL & PhP to handle the updating.

anyway, http://w3schools.com has some good MySQL/PhP tutorials you might want to look thru, MySQL allows you to filter the files on keys, so you can say create an Organization db, that holds all the Org's sorted a-z, with keys for "world area"/"country"/.../"rating" etc,

I havn't really ever tested speed comparisons for MySQL structure layouts so I don't know best db structure yet, but over the holidays I'll take a look, hopefully someone else here will pipe in

Leave a comment:

• Gösta H. Lovgren-2
    replied
    225 Countries

Just finished parsing out the Area Codes and Countries from a file of international Telephone codes I found on Wiki.

225 countries in the world. I'm pretty sure that rules out using JavaScript for a real project, maybe as a demo (all I want really at this point). 225 countries with dozens (hundreds possible) of possible charities in each makes a pretty long Select list {grin}.

At any rate tomorrow I'll write a code generator incorporating the countries just to see how it would work. Will have to remember to use Maxthon to test though. {grin}

Wi' a wee doch-an-dorris ............................Gösta

Leave a comment:

• Gösta H. Lovgren-2
    replied
    Originally posted by Brad D Byrne View Post
    put this in the <head> area,

<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="./JS/Header_Code.js"> </script>
    Thx Brad. Will give it a try. (We must have been cross posting {grin})

Leave a comment:

• Gösta H. Lovgren-2
    replied
    Okay, been studying the JS code, Shawn but am unable to follow the logic. I understand it (I think) but to convert it to what I want to do I don't understand. What would help greatly would be if each line was commented (not the obvious ones like Option values) but something like how the logic flows.

Oh, now I'm getting into it deeper (and see how the JS selection is going, I'm betting now there will only be two Selection boxes (Country & Organization -depending on country chosen). Gonna be WAY too involved code wise otherwise I think I see now.

Thanks

PS, If this help could be posted in the <b>An American Cares</b> forum (http://www.SwedesDock.com/Forum) it wouldn't tie up PB's resources. Plus it goves my Forum some activity {grin}.

Leave a comment:

• Brad D Byrne
    replied
    put this in the <head> area,

<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="./JS/Header_Code.js"> </script>

Leave a comment:

• Gösta H. Lovgren-2
    replied
    On the road

Shawn,

Got your example code up just now:

http://www.anamericancares.com/Testi...stination.html

Now to go to work on the PB Code generator (I have the skeleton dialog built so hopefully it won't take too long. Maybe even be done today {fingers crossed}. Figuring out the JS logic and applying it may not be so easy though {frowning thoughtfully here}.

What woiuld really help though is if someone could show me a way to "include" the JS code like the linked CSS sheets

Code:
    <link href="./CSS/CSS_Links_Box.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" /> 

// would like to be able to (for example)
    <link href="./JS/Header_Code.js" type="text/javascript" />
    It would make things much less cluttered when working on html appearance (for example). And make for easier code generation I think.

Any way, I feel I'm heading the right direction, if not the right road yet.

Thanks all.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X