No announcement yet.

WinInet FTP problem, help wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any chance of sharing the lftp binaries needed to run under Windows?

John

Update:

I have installed the full version of Cygwin on my XP Pro system so I'm good.
    Last edited by John Spikowski; 18 Apr 2008, 11:27 PM.

Comment

John,

years a ago, before internet, my cousin and i worked on a program to run the mls out of business and hopefully make us rich.
      he even became a real estate agent to better learn the needs of the market.

i was like microsoft, but without their money, i made a mistake of not seeing the internet coming, we were going to dump everything (pictures/data) on a cdrom, with only brand new pictures/data being accessed in the back ground by dial up modem, we had a lot of everything worked out that would work.

i quit on it when the internet became about because i had no knowledge on how to use it and no large money to invest, just skills and time, and figured some others had a big jump on us with the internet.
      so a year of hard work on the side went straight out the window, not to mention learning the marketplace, but after seeing your post, humm.

you are far to right about mls, at least in those days, the product was never as good as it should of been, and protected like something sacred.

paul
      p purvis

Comment

With all their rules, forms and playing favorites, I have to wonder sometimes if selling real estate is still the goal.

John

Comment

Wait a minute... we have another current thead here which may be of some interest and might use the same solution....let me find that.

Yes, here it is..http://.http://www.powerbasic.com/su...ad.php?t=37152

Perhaps you could query the files' timestamps INDEPENDENT of the FTP function? If you have a file name, you should be able to InternetOpenUrl it. What I don't know is if you'll be able to get the timestamp if your permissions do not include directory "read" access.. then again, I don't know how you could possibly download a file via FTP without such "read" access.

For that matter, you might be able to "dir" (windows' server) or "ls" (unix server) the file and get back the output of that command, which could include a timestamp you could parse out.

Worth a try?
          MCM
          Last edited by Michael Mattias; 19 Apr 2008, 09:45 AM.
          Michael Mattias
          Tal Systems (retired)
          Port Washington WI USA
          [email protected]
          http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

Originally posted by John Spikowski View Post
            Update:

I have installed the full version of Cygwin on my XP Pro system so I'm good.
            Great! Cygwin gives you a bash shell and access to hundreds of 'nix command line apps, many of which are far better than the Windows-only equivalents.

You might want to check out wget, as well (it should be part of the Cygwin base install, IIRC).
            --pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Franks View Post
              Great! Cygwin gives you a bash shell and access to hundreds of 'nix command line apps, many of which are far better than the Windows-only equivalents.

You might want to check out wget, as well (it should be part of the Cygwin base install, IIRC).
              If I were to install this again, I would be much more selective. The ALL options installs things like GTK and other X based libraries that are useless.

3.08 GB (3,315,990,528 bytes)

167,487 files and 9,323 directories

The *nix utilities are nice to have. I want to try Bash shell scripting to see how that works under Windows. Cygwin is using the Windows API under the covers so I don't know if this is just Windows in *nix clothing.

John
              Last edited by John Spikowski; 19 Apr 2008, 03:55 PM.

Comment

to MCM
                did you try that program that was timing out on a win 98 machine.
                just food for thought.
                paul
                p purvis

Comment

>did you try that program that was timing out on a win 98 machine.

Nope. Actually I'm not testing anything new on Win/9x anymore. #OPTION VERSION 5 is now de rigeur for me.
                  Michael Mattias
                  Tal Systems (retired)
                  Port Washington WI USA
                  [email protected]
                  http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

Just saw the thread and what I'm adding to the discussion may have already have been touched on. I have an application where a 126 megabit file needs to be uploaded to a backup site everynight. I use active and set the number of retries on the ftp server to at least 20 or so. I use FileZilla ftp server and client. I used to get the server reset thing when I used passive and not enough possible retries. I also create a unique name each time I send the file.

Bob Mechler

Comment

Michael,

i have had different problems with tcp connections over the years. one of the biggest things i have done lately that has solved many connection problems is changing the Tcp receive window.

i figure the majority of sites being accessed are not using a MTU of 1500, that is just a guess. we use a lot of dsl connections at our locations and it is best not to set the MTU over 1492 on most DSL connections.

i started setting the MTU on all equipment to 1492, and after doing many hours of test, i have come to conclusion a TCP receive window of 63888 is best for a MTU of 1492.

now everything is much smoother, transferring files with inhouse programs(my speed doubled and transfer time was cut in half) and my remote control programs(pcanywhere) now run very smooth with only a few disconnects.

even web site browsing is much faster, i am using w2kpro.
                      on winxp machines i also set those to the mtu of 1492 and tcp receive windows of 63888.

one location is on a cable modem where 1500 is best used but i left the modem router set to a MTU of 1500 and set all machines with a MTU of 1492 to match my locations elsewhere.

if you want to set the tcp receive window with a mtu of 1500 try 64240.

even though setting a tcp receive window higher than 63888 or 64240 will increase download speeds of large items such as files being downloaded or playing of video over the internet, it may not be best for other purposes.

hope this helps you out and others while using highspeed broadband internet connections.

paul
                      Last edited by Paul Purvis; 19 May 2008, 01:09 PM.
                      p purvis

Comment

Working...
                      X