Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retrieve Sales Tax Rates Programmatically From Web?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul Franks
    replied
    Originally posted by Anthony Watson View Post
    From what I understand, the change to a destination based tax in Washington is only the start of what will eventually become a nationwide tax system. So, I hope this interface will be expanded to cover other states if and when it becomes a reality.
    FWIW, there are commercial web services that provide this already for a price. Here's one example:

http://www.strikeiron.com/ProductDet...px?p=350&tab=1

Leave a comment:

• Paul Franks
    replied
    Hmmm... Maybe it doesn't like the fact that I'm not in WA, but I can't even bring up the main DOR site right now.

Be sure to send it some bogus data to see what errors look like (the error results should be documented somewhere on their site), and check for and handle them in your code.

Leave a comment:

• Anthony Watson
    replied
    I notice the web service is down again.
    I haven't noticed any outages during my tests. It has been working perfectly for me.

In any case, I have the tax lookup merged into my main application now and it seems to work very well with every address I tried. Even if there is an occasional outage, this will make my life MUCH easier for calculating sales taxes.

From what I understand, the change to a destination based tax in Washington is only the start of what will eventually become a nationwide tax system. So, I hope this interface will be expanded to cover other states if and when it becomes a reality.

Anyway, thanks again. This has been a huge help!

Now, I just need to get my act together and finish the rest of my database update.

Anthony

Leave a comment:

• Paul Franks
    replied
    Originally posted by Anthony Watson View Post
    Paul,

Excellent, that works perfectly. Thanks so much!
    No problem.

I notice the web service is down again. Web services are great, but only if they stay in service 7/24

Leave a comment:

• Anthony Watson
    replied
    Paul,

Excellent, that works perfectly. Thanks so much!

Anthony

Leave a comment:

• Paul Franks
    replied
    Your URL doesn't appear to be working at the moment, but here's a basic example for retrieving data from a REST web service:

http://www.powerbasic.com/support/pb...91&postcount=6

You can then do some basic XPATH queries on the returned XML object to get your individual data items.

Later...

OK, the site is up, I've attached a basic example with XPATH queries to retrieve the attributes from the XML result. Simple stuff...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Paul Franks; 8 Jul 2008, 11:54 PM. Reason: Add Example

Leave a comment:

• Joe Byrne
    replied
    Search for 'webget'. There are lots of examples.

Leave a comment:

• Retrieve Sales Tax Rates Programmatically From Web?

Washington state recently switched to "destination based" sales tax, and I would like to update my database program to access the current rate for a location using their web service. For example, if I enter the following link in my browser:

http://dor.wa.gov/AddressRates.aspx?...ity=&zip=98607

It returns the rate for that location as well as a variety of additional stats.

Is there a way to retrieve this information programmatically with PowerBASIC, preferably saving it to a string variable I can parse easily?

Thanks,

Anthony
Working...
X