1 connection per client

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 connection per client

I have been told by a major provider of communication software that client/server only accepts one connection from each other machine. Is this normal in client/server software?

That can't be right, since "client-server" does not even imply there must be some kind of "connection" in the first place.

As much caution as I use with "wiki-anything" I think probably Wikipedia would have a quite usable definition of "client-server".

Generally you'd think in terms of a single 'transaction' : "Here server, do this/get me the answer to that/stop yourself" and the client would wait for the answer or a confirmation, but there's no reason you'd need any kind of "connection" to do that.

I mean, look at this forum: I will click "save" and the server will edit this message, but I could end Internet Explorer before I get the refreshed page back but the change will still have been made.

I know someone here did a "named pipe" client-server thing, in which the client and the server each had two handles to the pipe, one to send and one to receive; that's still client-server.

Maybe the "major communications software provider" has Ye Olde Hammer and Nailes Problem: if all you have is a hammer, every opportunity looks like a nail.
    Last edited by Michael Mattias; 3 Nov 2008, 03:06 PM.
    Michael Mattias
    Tal Systems (retired)
    Port Washington WI USA
    [email protected]
    http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

You are correct, thank you.
      The vendor has an option to limit the number of connections. I'm quilty of running demos before reading the docs.
      I will also suggest this to SQLitening to limit some attacks.
      Last edited by Mike Doty; 3 Nov 2008, 03:35 PM.

Comment

> I'm guilty of running demos before reading the docs

Somehow I don't think you are the first person who has ever done that.....
        Michael Mattias
        Tal Systems (retired)
        Port Washington WI USA
        [email protected]
        http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

Working...
        X