New to Web Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well, I REALLY hate to agree w/ Joe!!

but in this case I do! his tut's are very good, hit them first! http://www.basicrocks.com/

Comment

(Edit: a response to #20)

A typical nonsense reply, first you turn my advise down without reason then you start rambling like a teacher about static files.
      Good advise may also make one skip the full learning cycle you know?
      (As if one must know the whole SDK to create a window or so)

I don't care what technique one choose but i have some experiance with CGI executables and it wasn't the best thing to have.
      There will soon be a reason to step over to another technique.

Btw, it's also a bit harsh to claim ISAPI is CGI (see above).
      ASP.NET for example is basically ISAPI calling a framework.
      I suspect that many other languages are ISAPI libraries as well.
      Shielded for the programmer of course.

I don't think they base themselves on CGI executables
      hellobasic

Comment

Originally posted by Edwin Knoppert View Post

A typical nonsense reply, first you turn my advise down without reason then you start rambling like a teacher about static files.
        Good advise may also make one skip the full learning cycle you know?
        (As if one must know the whole SDK to create a window or so)
        Edwin,
        I meant no disrespect, but clearly Andy is just getting his feet wet in the world of the web. IMO, ISAPI is a bit to advanced at this stage for what Andy needs to learn. I think this was pretty clear from his response to your post.

When one is just getting started in new territory, you don't want to confuse the issues with "better" or "faster" concepts. You want to make the process as clear as possible.

Andy has a background in creating PB executables so IMO, that is where he should start. My first tutorial does exactly that. Once he can take what he already knows, and apply it to new territory, then he can start asking the questions of how to make it better or faster. But it you get to far ahead of him, discounting what he already has mastered, then your advice only goes to make this more complicated than they are, and need to be.

All of the replies here have been accurate and worthwhile information, but only valuable at the proper time. Andy needs to crawl first, just as you and I did, and then he can worry about sprinting.

And for the record, if I sounded like a teacher, that's probably because I do teach and write books. Its my nature, sorry.
        Software makes Hardware Happen

Comment

Ok
          hellobasic

Comment

Andy have you installed a server software program on a local machine?
            If you do, you can run the PB cgi program DBG.EXE to get started.
            At least by doing this you can see what a cgi program returns to you.
            In my opinion getting your server running is step 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Edwin Knoppert View Post
              Btw, it's also a bit harsh to claim ISAPI is CGI (see above).
              ASP.NET for example is basically ISAPI calling a framework.
              I suspect that many other languages are ISAPI libraries as well.
              Shielded for the programmer of course.

I don't think they base themselves on CGI executables
              yeah, I agree, that was a bit sloppy, should have said "ISAPI is simalar to CGI"

Comment

Andy --

Have you seen this thread about PowerBASIC and PHP?

http://powerbasic.com/support/pbforu...d.php?t=36413&

-- Eric
                "Not my circus, not my monkeys."

Comment

PHP is the standard now. I use both PHP to generate web pages and PB CGI executables to manage the back-end data. The two compliment each other perfectly.

To move to Php/JavaScript means leaving PB behind, and learning a new way of developing applications.
                  Andy, That's not the case, you wouldn't be solely moving to PHP (for example) as PHP is only a web language, and I would think it'd be pretty hard to "unlearn" PB

Grab any "beginners" book on PHP and you will see how easy it is to learn, not forgetting the many many PHP sites (with sample code) to help you along.

Here's one manual for it: http://www.php.net/manual/en/
                  kgpsoftware.com | Slam DBMS | PrpT Control | Other Downloads | Contact Me

Comment

PS. If you do decide on the PB-CGI route (on a Windows server), I would be very careful on what your CGI executable does. One of my customers had a problem with a CGI that crashed* as it was uploading data to the client and the ISP sent us a stark warning to fix or remove the CGI immediately. Let's just say they were not happy

*To be fair, the problem wasn't entirely our fault - the "Dr. Watson" debugger was enabled on the server and promptly crashed when it found it couldn't debug the CGI. So the problem was bad server config that got triggered by our crashes. It pretty much locked up the server.
                    Last edited by Kev Peel; 4 Feb 2009, 06:07 PM.
                    kgpsoftware.com | Slam DBMS | PrpT Control | Other Downloads | Contact Me

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Byrne View Post
                      You need to understand what a web application is, and then whether you can adapt those restrictions to what you want to do. The limiting factor is not going to be a "language" as much as it will be the way the web works and how far you want to go to over come its process.
                      This!

I would go even one step further: First, you need to understand what "the web" is and how it works. That means: start by learning (X)HTML. Because whatever technique or programming language you choose later on, it all boils down to sending (X)HTML down to the client (oversimplified).

Comment

Working...
                      X