Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cache question

hey All,

I have an html file that never changes, how do I insure that it is always read from the browser cache?

is it automatic?

is there a technical paper that explains it?

THANKS!!!!

found a pretty good tutorial (it's for php, but should apply to any server language)

http://www.sitepoint.com/article/cac...p-performance/

Comment

also, interesting, http://www.ircache.net/cgi-bin/cacheability.py?

and, http://www.mnot.net/cache_docs/
      Last edited by Brad D Byrne; 22 Feb 2009, 12:57 PM.

Comment

you can use the following meta tags (you need to use both):

<META HTTP-EQUIV="CACHE-CONTROL" CONTENT="NO-CACHE">
        <META HTTP-EQUIV="PRAGMA" CONTENT="NO-CACHE">

probably this too:
        <META HTTP-EQUIV="EXPIRES" CONTENT="0">

you can also use this javascript to force a unique reload
        Code:
        <html>
        <head>

<script type="text/javascript">
        // force a unique page
        function uPage(){
           // get the current url
        	 var temp=location.href;	

// look for the string 'ver=' in the url
        	 if (temp.indexOf('ver=')==-1 ){
        	 	 	// no version numberin url so append a number
        	 	 	// having a unique number will force the browser to re-cache
        	 		window.location = temp+"?ver="+genNumber();	 
        	 }else{
        	 	 	// has a version number so do nothing
        	 }		
        }

// Generate and return a random number between 1-1000 for uniqueness
        function genNumber() {
            var i, rannum;
            // This will generate a random number 0-1000.
            rannum = Math.random()*1000;
        		// rannum is now a decimal value
        		// so round to nearest integer
            rannum = Math.round(rannum);
            return rannum;
        }	

</script>
        </head>

<body onLoad="uPage();">

</body>
        </html>

Comment

Shawn, I was just reading this, (from http://www.mnot.net/cache_docs/)

I like your javascript code btw, Thanks!!

Pragma HTTP Headers (and why they don’t work)

Many people believe that assigning a Pragma: no-cache HTTP header to a representation will make it uncacheable. This is not necessarily true; the HTTP specification does not set any guidelines for Pragma response headers; instead, Pragma request headers (the headers that a browser sends to a server) are discussed. Although a few caches may honor this header, the majority won’t, and it won’t have any effect. Use the headers below instead.

HTML Meta Tags and HTTP Headers

....... Meta tags are easy to use, but aren’t very effective. That’s because they’re only honored by a few browser caches (which actually read the HTML), not proxy caches (which almost never read the HTML in the document). While it may be tempting to put a Pragma: no-cache meta tag into a Web page, it won’t necessarily cause it to be kept fresh.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad D Byrne View Post
            hey All,

I have an html file that never changes, how do I insure that it is always read from the browser cache?

is it automatic?

is there a technical paper that explains it?

THANKS!!!!
            Always read from the cache? Actually you can't control that, as it's on the user end. For example - I clear my cache frequently and have to re-load things. Just before I run a virus check or defrag all caches are emptied and temporary files cleaned out.

There are a number of options for going the other way (not caching), and for that the best method is to use some simple php code to alter the html headers - basically by ensuring that the file date is always in the future. This will cause the browser to re-load the file every time.

To maximize your odds of keeping something cached on the user's hard drive, set the file date far enough in the past that when the browser checks it sees that the server version is always older or the same as the local version. They'll still reload it after they have cleared the cache though (since then it won't be there).

Just curious - why do you want the page always cached on the viewer's hard drive? Is the page that large that you're worried about bandwidth?

JS
            John,
            --------------------------------
            John Strasser
            Phone: 480 - 273 - 8798

Comment

Hi John, thanks!

yea I'm concerned about the size, even though it's only about 30kb, but It will hardly ever change, just a js file,

???

Comment

i'd use the expires http header i think. i'm actually in the process of doing this with a large web app at the company for which i work. here's what i'm doing:

1. setting up a custom http header for the files that sets the expiration far into the future (a few years). this is done in the web server configuration and is different from version to version of iis and apache.

2. if one of the files changes, i'll have to change the calling URL to ensure that it gets the fresh copy.
                for example:
                if this is the reference to the version that expires far into the future ...
                < img src="http://whatever.com/myimg.gif" >

i'll change the reference to:
                < img src="http://whatever.com/myimg.gif?ver1.0" >

when the image changes.

this is technically retrieving the same image as the web server will ignore the stuff after the question mark BUT the web browser doesn't. the web browser considers this a new URL.

best regards,
                don
                Don Dickinson
                www.greatwebdivide.com

Comment

hey Don! how you doing?

yea, that's pretty much what the two papers I read (links in earlier posts) said was best way! I think I understand now, except maybe whether or not includes are cached?? havn't tested it yet.

Comment

hi brad, i'm doing just fine. hope all's well with you!
                    per your question about the cascading effect of the caching ... here's what my testing shows:

suppose i have index.htm which loads script1.js and that, in turn, loads script2.js ...
                    if i change index.htm to load script1.js?something, it *will* reload script1.js from the server, but *not* script2.js. if you need to script2.js to reload, you'll have to change the reference to it in script1.js by adding something changed to the end of the url that references script2.js.

best regards,
                    don
                    Don Dickinson
                    www.greatwebdivide.com

Comment

COOL!! Don! that saved me an hour!!!

THANKS!!

Comment

Sorry I misread what you wanted....
                        You wanted to ALWAYS read from cache. I was thinking NEVER read from cache.
                        Anyway, I hope you got it figured out.

Comment

no problem Shawn, that probably would have been my next question anyway!!

Comment

Originally posted by Brad D Byrne View Post
                            hey Don! how you doing?

yea, that's pretty much what the two papers I read (links in earlier posts) said was best way! I think I understand now, except maybe whether or not includes are cached?? havn't tested it yet.
                            Brad & Don,

"Includes" by definition can't be cached as it is the server that "includes" them. Your browser actually only sees the resulting html to put the page on the screen. That's why they call them "Server-Side-Includes" or SSI <grin>. Same thing for php or other server based scripting languages. The server does the including.

For files like javascript or css files, so long as each file is separate then it will be cached in the browser. Even an "included" css file will be. Why? Because it is the browser that (meaning the user end) that does the including. So long as you don't use a server script to build the file you'll be fine.

As for using the "expires" header, you're better off setting the "expired date" to be only 24 hours in the future, rather than a few years. Same effect and easier to keep track of. Also, it's easy enough to add that as a SSI or have php or asp generate the date header before it goes to the browser. The added bonus is that it's easier to change if you *do* update the page.

Another option to "changing" the url is to use 301 and 302 redirects. You can use these either in an .htaccess file or in any server scripting file (php or asp)

examples:

first the php
                            Code:
                            <?php
                            $url="http://www.powerbasic.com/wizbang.html";
                            header( "HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently" );
                            header( "Location: $url" );
                            ?>
                            now in the .htaccess file
                            Code:
                            # handle change link for some page
                            Redirect 301 /somepage.html http://www.somedomain.com/services/page2.html
                            Hope this helps.

JS
                            John,
                            --------------------------------
                            John Strasser
                            Phone: 480 - 273 - 8798

Comment

Thanks! John!

I read briefly about the htaccess redirects, your example helps!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X