PBWin 90 PBMAIL.BAS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PBWin 90 PBMAIL.BAS

I have been using PBWin 90 for a few weeks now and creating an application. Thus far, the code is working well and pretty fast as it is intended.
    Since the application will require the users to send emails out to others, I am testing the PBMail.BAS which was included in the installation package.
    My current server is www.comcast.net, but when I try to send an email using the smtp.comcast.net server, the PBMAIL.BAS application tells me that it cannot get a server connection.
    My question to all is this: Is this problem only to those connected to www.comcast.net or it is a problem related to the PBMAIL.BAS application? If this is the case, does anyone can suggest a way to send emails from PBWin 90 through www.comcast.net or similar provider?
    Thank you.
    -wil rodriguez

clsEmail code moved to Source Code forum.

Follow this link to get the code:
    http://www.powerbasic.com/support/pb...d.php?p=327884
    Last edited by Paul Squires; 14 Nov 2009, 11:39 AM. Reason: Move code per MCM's suggestion
    Paul Squires
    FireFly Visual Designer (for PowerBASIC Windows 10+)
    Version 3 now available.
    http://www.planetsquires.com

Comment

>does anyone can suggest a way to send emails from PBWin 90 through

There have GOT to be at least a dozen "send email" code examples here in the source code forum.

OK, so some of the programs are NOT in the "source code" forum... eg the post above (HINT HINT. If you are going to post the source code, put it where we all LOOK for Source Code).
      Michael Mattias
      Tal Systems (retired)
      Port Washington WI USA
      [email protected]
      http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

this is the command i use with TCP LINE on such communications with a email server.
        if not, your program will progress faster than the response from the email server and you will get a response, but the response will be picked up by the second, third, or any other latter TCP LINE statment after the one in which you wanted to pick up the response.

Code:
        DO WHILE NOT EOF(hTCP&)
           TCP LINE hTCP&, A$
           I& = VAL(LEFT$(A$, 3&))
        LOOP
        p purvis

Comment

Comcast blocks port 25 for anti-spamming purposes. Try using port 587 which uses authentication.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald MacNeil View Post
            Comcast blocks port 25 for anti-spamming purposes. Try using port 587 which uses authentication.
            Actually, most ISPs do this for residential accounts and some (e.g.: Verizon) even do it for business accounts unless you buy a package that assigns you a static IP address (in other words, you have an account with a service agreement that would permit you to run your own mail server).

Overall, it's a good thing. There are still too many open relays out there that will accept mail from anyone on port 25 and just forward it, which is fantastic for the spammers, not so much for the rest of us. Forcing users to port 587 makes things a bit more complicated for email software because it requires authentication, but it's really not that big of a hurdle. In truth, these days the only type of programs that should be trying to talk on port 25 are mail servers; user applications should always use port 587 by default and support authentication (of course, giving end-users configuration options is also essential).
            Mike Stefanik
            sockettools.com

Comment

Working...
            X