Smtps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smtps

has anyone done work with pb and an SMTPS server (tls encrypted conversion usually on port 465)? this is encrypted smtp. smtp i've done, but never the encrypted counterpart.

thanks
    don
    Don Dickinson
    www.greatwebdivide.com

SMTPS uses SSL/TLS to encrypt the session, the same security protocols used with web servers. There's two types of secure connections, explicit and implict SSL. Typically a connection on port 465 uses implicit SSL, which means that the secure session starts as soon as the connection is made (similar to how HTTPS works). Explicit SSL is commonly used on either port 25 or 587, and is done by establishing a standard (non-secure) connection and then negotiating a secure connection using the ESMTP command STARTTLS.

Our SocketTools SMTP API handles both types of secure connections, but it's something you could also implement using an SSL tunnel, as long as you only needed support for implicit SSL connections.
    Mike Stefanik
    sockettools.com

Comment

thanks mike! i'll check it out.
      -don
      Don Dickinson
      www.greatwebdivide.com

Comment

Don,

I have played around with using the ssl tunnel software for testing purposes.
        I cannot see where it is for the average user. I seems ok if you need it for special needs and the software is left running on a computer and is not tampered with by somebody.

I have purchased Mike's software and have not used it yet. Being that our email servers are on all local networks, the pop3 does great for our purposes on our local lans where we are not needing encryption. But Mikes software seems to be a more no fuss way to go when creating software for the common user and to the programmer keeping his sanity.

Don, as soon as i can i will write about what i did and the parameters i used to set up my testing. I did have some road blocks that seem to come from using certain versions of the tunnel software.

I do not have that information with me now, but like i said i will post about it when i get it back at the office.
        p purvis

Comment

thanks. i've used stunnel before for other things. perhaps i'll give it a try for this. if you're using different ssl tunneling software, i'd be interested in hearing which one you're using.

thanks
          don
          Don Dickinson
          www.greatwebdivide.com

Comment

i am using stunnel too for testing, i was only testing for smtps transfers.
            i am sure this old hat to you but it might help there others wanting to give it a shot.

maybe this will help
            files and their sizes for stunnel i used
            Code:
              1,528,135 libeay32.dll
                611,705 libssl32.dll
                 78,336 stunnel-4.07.exe
                    252 stunnel.cnf
                 78,336 stunnel.exe
                  1,661 stunnel.pem
            the only two files i changed was stunnel.cnf and stunnel.exe
            i do not like working with files names that are not the 8.3 format.
            i copied stunnel-4.07.exe to stunnel.exe, then i patched stunnel.exe to make it read the parameter file stunnel.cnf instead of stunnel.conf, which is the default configuration file name.
            i use a 16-bit dos editor that also does not like anything other than the 8.3 filename format.
            all files where placed and ran in a single directory off of the root

smtps was my only interest here

stunnel.cnf file
            Code:
            client = yes
            ;debug = debug

[pop3s]
            accept = 127.0.0.1:1109
            connect = pop3s.myisp.com:995

[imaps]
            accept = 127.0.0.1:1439
            delay = yes
            connect = imaps.myisp.com:993

[smtps]
            accept = 127.0.0.1:2525
            connect = dondickersonremotesmtpsemailserveracom:465
            NOW FOR WORKING WITH STUNNEL
            i found some confusing instructions on using stunnel but that is what worked for me

i started stunnel with
            stunnel -install

for testing out different configurations, the stunnel.cnf file, i had a batch file to start and stop the stunnel service so i could edit the configuration file stunnel.cnf
            you cannot make changes will the stunnel service is running.
            upon net start stunnel, the stunnel.cnf will be read or in case of the original executuable, stunnel.conf file will be read.
            batch file listing to test with.
            [code]
            NET STOP STUNNEL
            SLEEP 3
            notepad "stunnel.cnf"
            NET START STUNNEL
            SLEEP 3
            [code]
            SLEEP 3 is a pause for 3 seconds

after the batch file making changes to my stunnel.cnf and restarting the stunnel service, i would then run my written program.

There was a newer version of stunnel but for some reason i could never get it working on my windows 2000 machine, and it could have been me, but the above worked. Once again pop3 and imaps where never even tried.
            Last edited by Paul Purvis; 16 Nov 2009, 05:34 PM.
            p purvis

Comment

I can send an email from my workstation email client to my gmail account, but when I try to do the same with SMEEMAIL, I get:

server returned 530 Relayed mail to [email protected] not allowed

error
              smtp program error code 23

I can send an email back to myself:

server returned 250 [email protected]... Recipient ok

error
              smtp program error code 23

In both instances, the app returns error code 23.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
              "Were it not for women, I could have been a great man, but were it not for women I wouldn't have wanted to be a great man.
              It's a conundrum, but I wouldn't have it any other way." - Jim Moss

Comment

Is gmail a smtp server?
                Smemail was designed to work with a smtp server only.
                Smemail only sends text now.
                I am still educating myself on email extras.
                Last edited by Paul Purvis; 25 Nov 2009, 02:24 PM.
                p purvis

Comment

Originally posted by paul d purvis View Post
                  Is gmail a smtp server?
                  Smemail was designed to work with a smtp server only.
                  Smemail only sends text now.
                  I am still educating myself on email extras.
                  Google has an SMTP server that you can use, it's smtp.gmail.com and you can connect on port 465 or 587. It requires that you use SSL/TLS, and you have to authenticate using your GMail account.

A help article they have on how to configure your mail client:
                  http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...n&answer=13287
                  Mike Stefanik
                  sockettools.com

Comment

Originally posted by James Moss View Post
                    I can send an email from my workstation email client to my gmail account, but when I try to do the same with SMEEMAIL, I get:

server returned 530 Relayed mail to [email protected] not allowed
                    I have no idea what that service is, but it's not allowing you to relay (presumably without authentication), and that's a good thing. Open mail relays are the bane of the Internet.

Try connecting on port 587, and provide whatever credentials they've given you. If you've written your own email program, then you need to use ESMTP and learn about the authentication methods for the protocol.
                    Mike Stefanik
                    sockettools.com

Comment

Thanks Mike. You are always on top
                      of these issues and your responses are much informative and welcomed.
                      p purvis

Comment

Working...
                      X