No announcement yet.

Time to Check New Emails - Slow!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You should take a look at IMAP. I use IMAP to synchronize my laptop, desktop, and iPhone. It works fine. But, I don't keep messages on the server forever. At some point, I archive them onto a single machine (laptop - my primary work device) in local email client folders. After archiving, the messages "disappear" from the desktop and iPhone - which, for me, is fine. I use three email client apps: iPhone mail, Outlook and Thunderbird.

Comment

Hi Jerry,
      I only use Outlook at home and whatever is the default on my android phone. I can't say as I've ever seen either not have the latest emails. Do folks experience that problem in general, that IMAP is needed? Perhaps something is going on between the two that I've just not paid attention to.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Beene View Post
        Hi Jerry,
        I only use Outlook at home and whatever is the default on my android phone. I can't say as I've ever seen either not have the latest emails. Do folks experience that problem in general, that IMAP is needed? Perhaps something is going on between the two that I've just not paid attention to.
        I think you will find that your Android phone app is using IMAP, not POP3. That's the standard configuration. If you check the "incoming mail" settings, you will probably see reference to "IMAP Server" and Port 143.

Comment

Android phone app is using IMAP... That's the standard configuration.
          That's not correct.
          First, not all Android devices have the same OS version and mail app version.
          most of them will attempt to make an automatic connection based on email address and password, and choose IMAP or POP3 or Exchange based on server response.
          if it fails to find appropriate response from server, it will ask the user to choose which to configure.

So Standard configuration will vary from user to user.
          Last edited by Rod Macia; 13 Jun 2018, 09:45 PM.

Comment

I just checked and my Android is using getting email via a pop3 server.

Comment

... which doesn't mean that can't be changed, depending on your mailserver providing IMAP, ofc.

Comment

Working...
              X