See enclosed interface list for Acrobat for example

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• See enclosed interface list for Acrobat for example

Hi, all. I have been working on a COM-based way to extract a rectangle of text from a generated PDF (so it's all textualized to begin with). What I'm trying to do is copy this rectangled text to the clipboard so I can use it in my program for faster file management over a SAN (storage area network).

I have been STRUGGLING with the concept of COM for a long time, getting it piece by piece but I don't think I understand what I'm doing, really.

I don't understand how to use the "unasterisk'd" objects. Please see attached PDF for reference. I hope you guys won't get on me too much for my n00bishness... just trying to help things out at work.

Are the unasterisk'd interfaces something like variables?

Anyway, thanks for helping!
    Attached Files

So which library is this?

Comment

I don't understand how to use the "unasterisk'd" objects. Please see attached PDF for reference.
      Which type library browser did you use?

Everything on that list that does not begin with "C" is a coclass. Those that begin with "C"
      are the default interfaces of the coclasses. Some the coclasses can be created using NewCom etc.,
      and some cannot. I know this because I am comparing your list to the output of another type
      library browser.
      Unfortunately, you need to provide more info, because unless someone recognizes the format of
      the output as that of a browser they have used, that list tells out nothing.

You might want to start by posting code showing what it is you are trying to do.
      Dominic Mitchell
      Phoenix Visual Designer
      http://www.phnxthunder.com

Comment

So which library is this?
        Adobe Acrobat N.N? Type Library (Ver n.n?)
        Dominic Mitchell
        Phoenix Visual Designer
        http://www.phnxthunder.com

Comment

>extract a rectangle of text from a generated PDF

If your application is opening a PDF file, there no "rectangle" until the page is rendered.

I assume there is a way to render to your own device context, after which you can cut and paste.

I do not have the Acrobat SDK installed.. although I think you have all the SDK objects, properties and methods available if you have Acrobat (full version, not just the reader) installed.

Doesn't the SDK contain some example code? Maybe if you start here:
          http://www.adobe.com/devnet/acrobat.html and follow some links you can find some examples.
          Michael Mattias
          Tal Systems Inc.
          Racine WI USA
          mmattias@talsystems.com
          http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

I can't believe it! I apologize to everyone for not seeing this sooner! Like 5 years late!

In the time since I've written this post, I was able to figure out my problem, and a WHOLE bunch more. Programming Acrobat is fun, and easy, now that I know how to program objects. With programming PDF I have been able to:

I have been able to extract multiple pages that belong in separate facilities and send them to their home.
            count the number of pages in a document without physically opening it.
            I've been able to manipulate the metadata fields
            I can grab the dates and times of Creation, Modification, and other details.

I successfully created an application that I used for a while for my file management needs here at work, and it works beautifully...

Load a list of generic files that a document scanner creates, and name each one, sending them to their doom! I mean resting place.
            All without having to drag and drop these files using Windows Explorer.

Now, I'm stuck at trying to find a PB solution for Acrobat Bookmarks. If anyone has a resource (I have been unable to find any), I would love to know about it!

Thanks again, everyone, and I apologize for never getting back to anyone!

Comment

Working...
            X