No announcement yet.

5,000 PowerBASIC Classes - Free

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This topic describes you can use ASP.NET files (or other) without using a webserver(!)

If you write a comwrapper, you can reach for this object and interact from within any app to this object.
    For example a PB app having a web control or so.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/is...e/default.aspx

This could also mean you could prepare aspx files and never show these files but might simply return desired data.
    in fact anything is possible.

------------------
    http://www.hellobasic.com
    hellobasic

Comment

>Plus, I only have 500MB ram.

Well, if you have at least 1.5 Gb free disk, your application still has 2 Gb virtual memory available to it....and that doesn't include what you can 'borrow' from Windows by using memory-mapped file objects. ( I think you can use that in addition to your own regular 2 Gb... I'll have to devise some kind of test for that).

Michael Mattias
      Tal Systems (retired)
      Port Washington WI USA
      [email protected]
      http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

Is there a replacement link for this:

''can i interest you in 5000 classes?'' http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbrun/vbfu...s/default.aspx

It no worky no more....

Comment

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...05(VS.71).aspx
          Forum: http://www.jose.it-berater.org/smfforum/index.php

Comment

My 1.5 cents worth

And compared to the rest of the world 1.5 cents is probably inflated ...

I would have expected the results of the little example of the CR to CR/LF replacement but I am still amazed. Not that DOT NET would have those results but that so many people believe DOT NET is "The Only Way".

For me PB, FireFly, and a few simple add on DLL's is all I need. I simply don't want or need 5,000 new classes. That is not to say I won't use one or two of them someday via PB when I find a specific need.

Microsoft has built an empire out of "Bigger is Better". Every product just keeps evolving to the point of being a huge monolith that, for me, becomes too big and bulky to use. At that point I just say "Never Mind" and go find a simpler solution.

With all of that said here is something to think about ---

"Once there were dinosaurs. They grew to huge proportions and many could crush just about anything in their environment by just walking around. Then there were none and the smaller, quicker, and more adaptable creatures prevailed. It's a natural law ... just like gravity."
            Mark Strickland, CISSP, CEH
            SimplyBASICsecurity.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Strickland View Post
              "Once there were dinosaurs. ...Then there were none ... and more adaptable creatures prevailed."
              Good one, Mark ! Nice comparison ..

Kind regards
              Eddy

Comment

I believe here is some misunderstanding.
                We compare apple and oranges ((c) MCM).
                Advantage of .NET application - it is ability to create MULTI-platform programs.
                That's mean if tomorrow new type of computer appear on a market, then not necessary to rewrite the whole application, just change framework. By employ .NET you able write application for huge market right now, not only for Win32/64 but for WinCE(mobile) too, which works on different hardware.
                -=Alex=-

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Strickland View Post
                  "Once there were dinosaurs..."
                  One may also want to note tho, just how much it took to cause their extinction: A hundred million megatons of TNT blast off the coast of the Yucatan peninsula . It made a tsunami so big it left a ten foot thick layer of sand 200 miles inland from the Texas coast.

Makes me wonder what it'll take to trim that latter day bulk.

Comment

By employ .NET you able write application ...not only for Win32/64 but for WinCE(mobile) too, which works on different hardware
                    BBx Business BASIC offers that, too. It's not just source-code compatible across platforms, it's 'tokenized' - compatible, too. (You do need to have the correct runtime installed in the using system).

And I'm sure there are other development languages which offer this, too ... most ubiquitous today is probably Java.

MCM
                    Michael Mattias
                    Tal Systems (retired)
                    Port Washington WI USA
                    [email protected]
                    http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Mattias View Post
                      It's not just source-code compatible across platforms, it's 'tokenized' - compatible, too. (You do need to have the correct runtime installed in the using system).
                      Well, yes and no, image of .NET application is 'tokenized'(bytecode (akin to the JVM)), but it's translated to native machine's opcode on load(JIT or just-in-time compilation). Thats why, C# applications start very slow, but after that run at the same speed as C++
                      And I'm sure there are other development languages which offer this, too ... most ubiquitous today is probably Java.
                      MCM
                      Yepp, ubiquitous that's true, and credit to Java - it can run on *nix too.

[offtop]
                      MCM, thanks for the new word "ubiquitous", still continue learn english...
                      [/offtop]
                      -=Alex=-

Comment

Everything (maybe) has it's place

I do agree that DOT NET has some advantages, such as multi-platform, and Web based code, etc but for me the price is too high in terms of complexity (not to mention $$).

I normally don't need any more than what PB and a few other tools offer. It is not that I don't write complex applications. My most recent work literally has dozens of tabs and hundreds of controls. It does lots of cool things like remote off site backup of the DB, cool field highlighting for the active field, a little e-mail client functionality, and much more (300k lines of code built with FireFly). Yep --- Won't run on CE or Linux or anything but Windows but the target market does not care or need those features. It will run regardless of the current version of DOT NET and is a "zero configuration" install. Tech support is fairly easy even with a group of “not so tech savvy” users because it just works.

I have spent literally decades in the industry and there have been a parade of tools and technologies that offered to be "the best ever" and each promised to obsolete all other tools and technologies. Each was “bigger” than the previous one. So far nobody has done it. Now SOA is the "rage" and things like DOT NET will help bring this closer together but my bet is it will never reach it's potential. One of the great "features" of SOA is integration of applications and apparent sharing of data ... I did that in the 1980's and thought that was the way it should be not an exception.

My bottom line --- simpler is better --- both for programming and for using an application. If you are fluent in DOT NET then use it but for me I like tools like PB because I don't get "tangled up" with the tool. I can use my creativity in delivering an application that meets a business need. A simple plan implemented well beats the ultimate plan never implemented effectively.

Feature bloat is an issue in the Microsoft world. A friend of mine just moved across country to start a new career. She needed a new computer so she bought Vista and Office 2007. It took her nearly a week to figure how to do things without menus in Office 2007 and she was a daily user of older versions of Office. Her comment --- “I just wanted to type a resume and make a few simple format changes”. Most of the time simpler is better and that is all the user wants.

It is not about the tools and technology any way ... it is about getting an end result done with the product of those tools ... DOT NET, PB, or whatever.

Time for me to "shut up" but thanks for listening.

PS -- Watch out for the dinosaurs and keep "scampering around" under their feet, then one day you will notice, hummmm "where did they go?".
                        Mark Strickland, CISSP, CEH
                        SimplyBASICsecurity.com

Comment

Forgive me, but can someone make this really simple for me and list 5 of these classes that are unobtainable from PB in any way at present, and might be usefull in a real world application?
                          Last edited by Mike Trader; 22 Oct 2007, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Using the mail class would be nice.
                            hellobasic

Comment

Working...
                            X