OleDB "BEGIN TRANSACTION"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OleDB "BEGIN TRANSACTION"

Is it possible to use Execute with the "BEGIN TRANSACTION" statement?
    I know there is a connection setting for this, i would like to use it this way.

If it exists, how is the exact syntax?

Using MDAC 2.8 JET40 creating an xls file and inserting records.
    hellobasic

BEGIN TRANSACTION is generally a syntax used with ESQL (Embedded SQL), used by a precompiler.

I do not know about the ADO or COM interface, but just the past couple of weeks I've been working thru ODBC on a transaction-based processing application.

Thru ODBC, if you turn off the (default) autocommit mode, the Jet engine or maybe it's the ODBC driver automatically 'knows' when a transaction begins, and does not COMMIT until you issue a call to SqlEndTran. (it will rollback if you don't do this and otherwise end the processing of statements).

I do know that using ODBC you never 'execute' a "BEGIN TRANSACTION" or a "COMMIT" or "ROLLBACK" as you would in a 'command mode' or a PL/SQL script.

I don't know that this behavior applies to non-ODBC, but maybe it will give you an idea where to look if accessing your database via some other means.

MCM
    Michael Mattias
    Tal Systems (retired)
    Port Washington WI USA
    [email protected]
    http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

In theory, you can pass multiple SQL statements separated by a semicolon. So something like ...

Code:
      sSQL = "BEGIN TRANSACTION;UPDATE/INSERT/DELETE ....;COMMIT TRANSACTION;GO"

ADODB.Connection.Execute sSQL, , adExecuteNoRecords Or adCmdText
      ... should work.

Comment

Working...
      X