Phone calls logging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phone calls logging

I was just asked by my partner in the bussiness to create a phone calls log program to see wheter our secretary is doing calls to make apointments, he
    suspects she is not doing them.

Anyway the thing is that i have never tried to do so, or anything related to
    this. anyone has some pointers for me? Otherwise i would have to start from 0.

Thanx in advance.

Need more information

I would need to know what sort of a phone system you have. I have done this with a Vodavi starplus STS system. Does your phone system have serial port(s)? Do you have a programming manual for it?

Comment

No... only a simple normal phone, one of those you can find in any house.

Comment

Elias, I *think* there are progams that monitor the phone and pop a calling number up on the screen (via caller id), and do even more, like look up on a local database.

Maybe one of those would be a good place to start looking. Of course it's different. What you want to do is record outgoing dialing (tones?). Just a (useless?) thought.

========================================
        None are more hopelessly enslaved than
        those who falsely believe they are free.
        ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
        ========================================
        It's a pretty day. I hope you enjoy it.

Gösta

JWAM: (Quit Smoking): http://www.SwedesDock.com/smoking
        LDN - A Miracle Drug: http://www.SwedesDock.com/LDN/

Comment

Look up the Rochelle business entity in Austin, Texas. Investigate their Model 2045 Caller ID Multi-Line Adapter. It is a complete highly technical line monitor device which uses a level state special dedicated small comuputer that delivers all the available parameters for the telephone lines including all the call progress tones, all dialing data, all the data pulse operations, everything you need.

The model cited handles six phone lines and can handle the entire process for the six lines in real time all at once. It can deliver the entire data snoop operations over a serial port line or via a LAN cable output from this unit. The built in computer that is in it preserves the entire data line for line in real time for you for your program interface.

I've used their products for many years now. At present my call ID database for everything, but nothing to do with voice recording of whatever is said, covers over 500,000 phone calls in the largest database I have here. In my case the total phone line operation is melded in real-time logging into the entire professional management template that I have for ZIPLOG here in PBasic. It auto traces every line operation into every receivable database, every data database, every professional's log files for the whole facility, all the vendors, all the case files, in real-time. The data is all handled totally in the professional template for the entire professional case log for the entire facility in real-time as well, all part of the Btrieve mission critical file and key index system we use.

You'll have to write very specific serial port code to merge this into PBasic, as well as have real thread orchestrated CPU sharing and time slice management to handle all this with a server based utility like this. The ONLY solution I have ever found to date that will even handle this is OS/2, unless you set up a single computer to do only this job at the same time you are doing the required log file work for this kind of thing. I've tested all this on WIndows whatever. It is a useless operation as far as I have found if you need simultaneous TCPIP, satellite coverage, complete point of sale hardware, printing operations and so on in real-time at the same time you do all this with the CNID tracing.

However .. your mileage may vary depending on how complex and how complete your total program overview is for handling the data merged with all the other work you want.
          Mike Luther
          [email protected]

Comment

@ Gösta: A program would be fine, we have no problems paying for an already working app.

@ Mike: That sounds good, but sounds like overkill... we only have 1 line, one secretary and the only need we have is to know what number was dialed and length of the call.

Ill be checking both suggestions anyway.

Comment

if it is just one line
              maybe some sort of a phone dialer program hooked up to a database for dialing.
              it could be installed to provide for convince, productivity, and maybe some kind of automation of who to call when and key in results of the phone call into a database.
              it might also make the job easier for the person to do, thereby making everybody more happy.

if not just put a security camera in.
              p purvis

Comment

I've used the Whozz Calling box in the past with some projects. (They had a one line box then, but at the moment two lines seems to be the least). It worked fine to receive inbound and outbound call data. Haven't used it for a while because we mainly use 30 line cards for primary rate (T1/E1) ISDN lines at the moment...
                Regards,
                Peter

Comment

Zero hardware/software solution

Switch to a VoIP service like Vonage. It has a call log of every inbound, outbound, and voice mail including the duration of the call.

Not sure about your location but in the USA you can even port your number over to their service and not loose your phone number.

It also includes lots of other cool features like inbound ring on multiple phone lines (main phone and mobile phone), Voice Mail that is transcribed to text (for an extra cost) and sent as an email or text message to your mobile phone, etc.

Per minute rates for international calls are pretty cheap.

Downside -- must have a broadband Internet connection but it only uses about 20k bps for a call so it can work just fine with your regular connection.
                  Mark Strickland, CISSP, CEH
                  SimplyBASICsecurity.com

Comment

Conceal a voice activated digital recorder in the office. Replay instead of watching TV.

Comment

I wrote a similar program to this using Rochelles's Ani-232.
                      This may give you ideas or solve the problem.
                      http://www.talkingcallerid.com
                      The world is full of apathy, but who cares?

Comment

This is not a software problem.

This is not a hardware problem.

This is a people problem.
                        Michael Mattias
                        Tal Systems (retired)
                        Port Washington WI USA
                        [email protected]
                        http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Mattias View Post
                          This is not a software problem.

This is not a hardware problem.

This is a people problem.
                          How do you know it's a people problem?
                          I was just asked by my partner in the bussiness to create a phone calls log program to see wheter our secretary is doing calls to make apointments, he suspects she is not doing them.
                          Unless there is clear evidence (which can be best, or most easily confirmed or determined by hardware/software), one can't know that.

Gösta

Comment

You will note I did not say "person (singular)" problem; I said "people (plural)" problem.

Elias' partner should just discuss expectations and performance with the secretary; Elias himself should have realized that technology is a pretty crummy way to deal with this situation.

Partner + Elias = two persons = people.
                            Michael Mattias
                            Tal Systems (retired)
                            Port Washington WI USA
                            [email protected]
                            http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

Its pretty hard for us to keep track of everything, and we cannot simply do a call ourselves to check if the secretary actually called. We cannot check her all the time. Besides, most of the time i work at home. I thought of a survilleance camera, but that wouldnt be... nice, to her. We dont have the time to do that either. We have already talked to her, she said she is doing the calls, but we get very little appointments. When my partner or myself do the calls, we get double or triple appointments. We dont think is lack of expertise in her, because when we see her doing the calls, she is pretty good. So, we dont see any other solution... Im checking all the suggestions, thanx guys. Most of the comments confirms that our thoughts were not so off track.

Comment

Originally posted by Elias Montoya View Post
                                When my partner or myself do the calls, we get double or triple appointments.
                                Motivation, sincerity, maybe personality?

Comment

(which can be best, or most easily confirmed or determined by hardware/software), one can't know that.
                                  maybe not best, but most reliable when "SPYING" to see if just "Tone of Voice" is enough to put off a customer (or even being rude), which could only be done by not only logging calls, but monitoring the conversations that went on during the call

Since I hear if I am ever asked for a reference for the employee I have in mind, that I can not legally say "Potential Employee is worthless, not worth a...., or anything "NON-Flattering" to their future employment (god knows why cause, if I am asked to be a "Reference" am I not supposed to give an honest answer?)

In one business (to protect the innocent) I had the "Enjoyment" of a sales-personnel, that presented themselves as an "Outsourcing" expert (Outsourcing is RIGHT because he/she could NOT answer a simple question without such a snowjob, you wonder if used car salesmen are selling freezers in Hawaii in the middle of a July Blizzard???? )

I will not go into details...but eventually his/her mouth was their undoing....(thank god)...and got fired.

Unfortunately, when it comes to personnel issues, its always a matter of appearances, vs what is actually happening. And sometimes you have to take steps you do not want to take.

Best of the worst...If not a conflictive aspect, and not a lack of desire, and just a fact that the personnel not getting the job done....then that person needs to go.

If a lack of desire, or other reasons, its up to management to either "Fix it" or let that person go.

No matter personal feelings for that person.

may be harsh, but business, is business....and to say anything less, and you are "OUT" of business.
                                  Engineer's Motto: If it aint broke take it apart and fix it

"If at 1st you don't succeed... call it version 1.0"

"Half of Programming is coding"....."The other 90% is DEBUGGING"

"Document my code????" .... "WHYYY??? do you think they call it CODE? "

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Mattias View Post
                                    You will note I did not say "person (singular)" problem; I said "people (plural)" problem.
                                    I'm caught with it hanging out again. Sheesh, I should know better by now. (imagine an emoticon with me hitting myself in the head with a hammer}

Elias' partner should just discuss expectations and performance with the secretary; Elias himself should have realized that technology is a pretty crummy way to deal with this situation.

Partner + Elias = two persons = people.
                                    And I agree wholeheartedly.

Gösta

Comment

Working...
                                    X