Start program on another machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start program on another machine

On a peer to peer network is there a way for a terminal to start a program running on the server? I'm trying to avoid writing a polling program on the server. If not I'm trying to figure out how to send a signal to a USB port on another machine to open a cash drawer (there is no driver.)
    How long is an idea? Write it down.

rcmd by William Burns might be what youre after - "a program that is very similar to the PSEXEC.EXE found at www.sysinternals.com. It uses the same methods to remotely connect, login, and run a program on the remote PC."
    http://www.powerbasic.com/support/pb...ad.php?t=24849

Its also pretty easy to write a simple server and client combination that talk to each other over TCP or UDP to get remote functionality
    -

Comment

Thanks, but trying to do by taking advantage of a program/service already running on the server. The clients only need to call a program that
      sends a byte to USB port on the other machine. The client might also be running Windows 98. I could easily check for a change on the server,
      and execute a little program to send a byte to one of it's USB ports, but not having to add another running program or service to the server is the goal.
      How long is an idea? Write it down.

Comment

Some Windows versions have a built-in telnet server which is disabled by default. If you enable it, the clients can use a Win32 port of expect.

You could also set up a CGI (or .aspx) on the server's httpd. The client calls the server with IE, Firefox, Lynx, whatever with a special URL and the server could even report back.
        Erich Schulman (KT4VOL/KTN4CA)
        Go Big Orange

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Doty View Post
          ..., but not having to add another running program or service to the server is the goal.
          I don't think this is possible. Even if you use some of the internal Services, you have to start something running wich isn't running before.

I believe that a custom written PB solution could be the tiniest possible solution.

Hans

Comment

Working...
          X