disassembler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• disassembler

I'm looking for a very simple disassembler in PB source code to handle small chunks of code. The simpler the better, file handling not required. A few things on the forums, but either inconclusive or buggy (or I missed it!)

Any ideas please?

This come to mind: Have a look at what the compiler output

But it's possible that's to be included in your above list, since so much time passed!

Bye!
    -- The universe tends toward maximum irony. Don't push it.

File Extension Seeker - Metasearch engine for file extensions / file types
    Online TrID file identifier | TrIDLib - Identify thousands of file formats

Comment

Originally posted by Marco Pontello View Post
      But it's possible that's to be included in your above list...
      no, it was not in my list beacuse the entire thread somehow manages to avoid the word "disassembler". !^@~#* amazing!

But it has promise, tho' I would prefer not to use a 3rd party dll...

Comment

I'm looking for a very simple disassembler in PB source code to handle small chunks of code. The simpler the better, file handling not required.
        Hmm, a "simple x86 disassembler" ... *scratches head*
        Sorry, I don't think anybody can help you there
        There's always going to be a fair bit of code to get the job done properly, or it's going to be a very ordinary disassembler that does a mediocre and often inaccurate job.

If you search the subjects of the Source Code forum in POFFS for "disas" you'll find two examples by Tony Burcham, the second in particular sounds what you're after ...

Line-by-Line PB Disassembly Generator (Dec 2003)
        "This program creates a file of line-by-line disassembly of PowerBASIC code (PBDLL, PBWin7 or PBCC). That is, it takes a line of PB source code and follows it with the disassembly of that line from the compiled exe."

DisAsm: a free, open source disassembler for PBWin7 (May 2004)
        "It currently disassembles all general-purpose, FPU and the &H0F-escaped instructions of the Pentium4 CPU. The code for all the remaining instructions is already "roughed in", and mainly needs operand decoders written for them. 99% or more of the output seems to be accurate at this time."

--

Also, TheirWare Corporation released DisAsm and DisProc in 2004, complete with Powerbasic source code. See http://home.midsouth.rr.com/theirware/
        [edit - Tony Burcham is TheirWare Corp, so im guessing the code on his website is more up-to-date]

--

I also ported the LDE32 Length Disassembly Engine to Powerbasic a few years ago, I'll post it to the source code forum now but I don't think it will be useful for your current needs as it just breaks down a chunk of binary code into its instructions but doesn't add mnemonics. For example, 1BC0F7D8C3 would become:
        1BC0
        F7D8
        C3
        Last edited by Wayne Diamond; 2 Jul 2008, 07:24 AM.
        -

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Diamond View Post
          Tony Burcham... TheirWare Corporation
          It may well be that Mr Burcham is just more honest about his work than others, but I got the impression that it is more of a work in progress than I was looking for. I could be wrong and if anyone has positive experience of this code I would be very interested in their experience. The current resting place of the code is explained on the Theirware site:
          The DisAsm project has moved to SourceForge.net under the new name BinEditPlus. It has already had many bugs-fixed and improvements added. Only the source code has been published at SourceForge (in the CVS).
          Originally posted by Wayne Diamond View Post
          ...LDE32 Length Disassembly Engine ... source code forum
          Thanks! I'll take a look.

Comment

Working...
          X