Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oop

Hi everybody,

After doing some extensive work using the object oriented features in PowerBasic I can only say one thing !!! I never go back to procedural programming with PB.

I have some experience with Java and since objects are the only way to go, procedural programming was not a thing to consider.

Now with PB 9.0, objects are for me the only way to go. It gives so much more flexibility in coding.

I just wanted to spread the word, if people haven't used objects in PB or in other language. Please, don't neglect this feature in the new compiler. Once you get the hang of it, you will never go back (unless the application is just too small and you need a quick and dirty approach).

True, OOP requires more thought but this allows for better programming with less errors.

Thanks for reading
    Cheers

Steven
    So here we are, this is the end.
    But all that dies, is born again.
    - From The Ashes (In This Moment)

Steven,
    Can you post some beginners examples?

I am looking at the same concept, but do not have the idea in my head totally yet.

Coming from a "Must USE such and such language" idea, I am under constant requests to support multiple languages (VB, C++, Labview, MatLab, .NET, etc...etc...etc (and hopefully Java one day if a user requests it)) and I will be the 1st to admit that even though I can make a PB dll (procedural only) work with all these languages, does NOT mean I understand how each language works intimately.

The one thing that holds true is that if you look at it like a translator that understands intimately the 2 languages that are attempting to communicate....things go a whole LOT smoother. (of course never a 1 to 1 translation, but 99% of the time there is)

Currently I am looking to use a PB Dll (version 9 with COM capability) and how to use it in another language.

Just the basics though (because too much input at once can overload a brain)... I have posted in the source code forums as far as I have gotten with Pb Dll in VB - Early/Late Binding, or PB "Classic" but have yet to deal with events (and whatever else I have missed)

Anyways, if you could post some, I am sure I and others can pick up on the general concepts, and maybe together we can all learn and show others how much the new PB9 can benefit a programmer in multiple languages
    Engineer's Motto: If it aint broke take it apart and fix it

"If at 1st you don't succeed... call it version 1.0"

"Half of Programming is coding"....."The other 90% is DEBUGGING"

"Document my code????" .... "WHYYY??? do you think they call it CODE? "

Comment

>(unless the application is just too small and you need a quick and dirty approach).

I've seen lots of 'quick and dirty' programs with 10K+ lines.

These are often the result of a user request for a 'temporary' program. To which he wants a 'temporary' change... followed by another 'temporary' change..... and another... and another....
      Michael Mattias
      Tal Systems (retired)
      Port Washington WI USA
      [email protected]
      http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

Cliff,

I'll see what I can come up with. My OOP is very speicific to my needs so a more generic example is probably something you're looking for.

Steven

Comment

Cliff,

see the following example

http://www.powerbasic.com/support/pb...st298159<br />

Comment