Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does XCOPY /C suppress Abort,Retry, Fail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

>It sounds like you didn't take the time to use XCOPY.

Given this application - or as much of it I could infer - I obviously considered using an XCOPY-like solution... since it made my list of "possible hows."

However, I decided that for the level of control I would like, XCOPY just does not offer all the features I'd need.

Sure, I've used XCOPY (haven't we all?), but just because XCOPY works for some things does not make it the universal cure.

How does that go? "To the man who knows only the hammer, every problem looks like a nail?"

MCM
    Michael Mattias
    Tal Systems (retired)
    Port Washington WI USA
    [email protected]
    http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

XXCopy generates a log file just showing errors (or everything if you want). I forget the switch but I use XXCopy (several years now) to backup everything (about 75 gig, 10,000's of files) to USB drive. Took several hours the first time, Only 5-10 minutes after that (only copies changed files).

=====================================================
      To disagree with three-fourths of the British public
      is one of the first requisites of sanity.
      Oscar Wilde
      =====================================================
      It's a pretty day. I hope you enjoy it.

Gösta

JWAM: (Quit Smoking): http://www.SwedesDock.com/smoking
      LDN - A Miracle Drug: http://www.SwedesDock.com/LDN/

Comment

XXCOPY or XXCLONE? XXCLONE allows creating bootable media.

XXCLONE is also good as a defrag program if the destination is formatted before beginning.
        Of course, it isnt' fast at this because it has to copy sector by sector.
        Last edited by Mike Doty; 26 Jan 2009, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Doty View Post
          XXCOPY or XXCLONE? XXCLONE allows creating bootable media.

XXCopy. (XXCopy.com) It copies files. It has a large library of switches, so it can just about anythging. I have it set up in a batch file with a link to it. Whenever I leave the computer for a few minutes (lunch, break, bed, nooner, ...) and think of it, I just click on the link. It's "comfy".

Also it's actively supported by the author through a Yahoo group.
          It's a pretty day. I hope you enjoy it.

Gösta

JWAM: (Quit Smoking): http://www.SwedesDock.com/smoking
          LDN - A Miracle Drug: http://www.SwedesDock.com/LDN/

Comment

Mike.

About RoboCopy:
            I have never seen the need for XCOPY's "/C" parameter with RoboCopy. Provided you activate the proper switches, it will - upon failure - retry a specified number of times, and then give up - continuing with the next file in queue after logging the incident to a file of your choice. If all files fail, there's going to be a lot of retries, though.

The newer-than-XP versions of RoboCopy look interesting and do offer some features that the XP one doesn't.

FWIW, here are the two BATCH-file sets I keep on using (as you see I do a lot of typos when typing , whence all the /purge and /quit checks):

The everyday thing for smaller jobs (I call it RCOPY.BAT):
            Code:
            :: BATCH file for simplified ROBOCOPY usage.
            ::
            :: Will copy full directories (including subdirectories) only!
            :: The PURGE option will activate RoboCopy's /MIR option (/e/purge = /mir)
            :: The QUIT option will quit RoboCopy after processing command line and just display parametres used.

set Purge=
            if .%3==. goto -error
            if .%3==.purge set Purge=purge
            if .%3==.Purge set Purge=purge
            if .%3==.pURGE set Purge=purge
            if .%3==.PURGE set Purge=purge

if .%3==.nopurge set Purge=
            if .%3==.Nopurge set Purge=
            if .%3==.NoPurge set Purge=
            if .%3==.nOpURGE set Purge=
            if .%3==.nOPURGE set Purge=
            if .%3==.NOPURGE set Purge=

set quit=
            if .%4==.Quit set quit=/quit
            if .%4==.quit set quit=/quit
            if .%4==.QUIT set quit=/quit
            if .%4==.qUIT set quit=/quit

if not .%Purge%==.purge goto -nopurge
              c:\x\tool\robocopy %1 %2 *.* /s /e /zb /purge /r:3 /w:3 /v /eta %quit%
              goto -finish

:-nopurge
              c:\x\tool\robocopy %1 %2 *.* /s /e /zb /r:3 /w:3 /v /eta %quit%
              goto -finish

:-error
              @echo Usage:  RCOPY (sourcedir) (targetdir) {(purge) or (nopurge)} [quit]
              @echo.
              @echo
            :-finish
              set Purge=
              set quit=
            For the larger one, I use one file per task - but all are made from the same scheleton. My simplest file is shown, as the others are just more complex without any logical gain. You'll find all the 'goodies' here. It will keep 20 generations of log files and circulate them - the original one is always kept (This is perhaps stretching a discussion forum space a bit, but I can't see a BATCH file being located in the Source forum either - I hope you all and the PB staff as well will bear over with me). It is an old file that backs up and old Novell 4.11 server and is shown as-is unmodified from production since several years (actually - since W2K and its Resource Kit hit the streets):

One note: The %bdrv% variable isn't reset at exit. It will use the previous run's value. This is not an error - it is by design. Consider it, and add "set bdrv=" on the exit (following the ":-end" - label) if you do not want/need that "memory".
            Code:
            :: Backup routine for server DM02N

:: If parametres are specified:
            ::     %1 = The target (backup) drive
            ::     %2 = The first drive to copy
            ::     %3 = The second drive to copy
            :: Here, there are always two drives copied to one target
              if not .%1==. set bdrv=%1
              if not .%2==. set sdrv=%2
              if not .%3==. set s2drv=%3

:: Without parametres, these are the default drives to use
              if .%bdrv%==. set bdrv=h:
              if .%sdrv%==. set sdrv=w:
              if .%s2drv%==. set s2drv=x:

:: ROBOCOPY's general parametres ...
              set rcp=/s /e /z /r:3 /w:5 /np /log+:%bdrv%\data\backup\BackupWS.log

:: WXP allows for more advanced ROBOCOPY!
              set rcp=/s /e /zb /r:3 /w:5 /fp /np /tee /log+:%bdrv%\data\backup\BackupWS.log

%bdrv%
              cd \
              md \data\backup\DM02N\sys
              md \data\backup\DM02N\data1
              cd \data\backup
              if not exist BackupSrv.log goto -start
              set n=
              set o=
              for %%g in (1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20) do if exist BackupSrv%%g.log Set n=%%g

if not .%n%==.20 goto -continue
              :: We'll keep 20 generations of the log files - the first generation will always be the original one ...
              del BackupSrv2.log

:-ren_loop
              set n=
              for %%g in (2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19) do if not exist BackupSrv%%g.log Set n=%%g
              for %%g in (20 19 18 17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3) do if %%g gtr %n% Set o=%%g
              ren BackupSrv%o%.log BackupSrv%n%.log
              if not .%n%==.19 goto -ren_loop

set n=
              set o=
              for %%g in (1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20) do if exist BackupSrv%%g.log Set n=%%g

:-continue
              for %%g in (20 19 18 17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1) do if %%g gtr %n% set o=%%g
              if not .%n%==. if not .%o%==. rename BackupSrv.log BackupSrv%o%.log
              if .%n%==. rename BackupSrv.log BackupSrv1.log

:-start
              c:\x\tool\robocopy %sdrv%\ %bdrv%.\DM02N\sys /purge /XD %sdrv%\deleted.sav %sdrv%\v %sdrv%\queues /XF %sdrv%\BACKOUT.TTS %sdrv%\BackupSrv.bat %rcp%
              c:\x\tool\robocopy %s2drv%\ %bdrv%.\DM02N\data1 /purge /XD %s2drv%\deleted.sav %s2drv%\2 %rcp%
              echo Server FINITO!!!

:-end
              set rcp=
              set sdrv=
              set s2drv=
              set n=
              set o=
            BTW: Formatting a flash-drive before copying will approx. halve its life expectancy (as in number of writes per memory cell). Using e.g. the /MIR option of RoboCopy makes shure you only copy what's changed since your last backup, and gets rid of superfluous files as well. Defragmentation shouldn't be much of an issue with flash drives, as defragmenting it doesn't get you much speed increase.

ViH

Comment

Working...
            X