X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manuel Valdes
    replied
    Peter:

If your customers can put the data in their FTP server, then you could read it with your programm. A couple years ago I had a similar problem, and solved it easily using FCE4PB (FTP Client Engine Library for PB) from MarshallSoft Computing (www.Marshallsoft.com). At that time it was US$104.

Regards,

Leave a comment:

• Michael Mattias
    replied
    I was looking for something else, found this in my "favroties" links and remembered this question...
    http://www.filetransferplanet.com/ft...an-ftp-server/

I have no idea if whatever it says there actually works, but "Turn a PC into an FTP Server" sure sounds like a promising line of inquiry.....

MCM

Leave a comment:

• Hans-Dieter Veit
    replied
    The simpliest solution - no change in any software needed - would be to use RS232 to ethernet(LAN) converters and if on different location, for security a VPN-tunnel provieded by the (DSL)router. This way the two machines each can be locatied anywhere where an LAN or internet connection is avalible.

Hans

Leave a comment:

• Mark Strickland
    replied
    Two More Options

You might explore some work by Don Dickinson about a "file server".

http://www.powerbasic.com/support/pb...hlight=rserver

If you want a nice solution and can afford a few $$$ buy SocketTools from Catalyst.com. They can do just about any secure connection you can dream up. They work VERY well and are very simple to use.

There are some other FTP implementations kicking around the PB Forums but remember plain FTP is clear text including the password.

Leave a comment:

• Manuel Valdes
    replied
    Sometimes modem connection is the best choise, using dedicated, conmuted or cellphone services. If your application was written in PB, adding the code to handle the connection is very easy.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Mattias
    replied
    In this case, the other side (not our system) creates the connection and drops the files
    Do you actually have TWO things you are trying to do at once?

1. Change connection from RS232 to something else.

2. Deal with "a file has been deposited in named folder, do something with it."

The connection stuff is not my area of expertise; the 'network gurus' here can probably tell you the best way make a folder available to another party. FTP in this case is just one "how" of many possible "hows." (So is RS232).

As far as 'doing something' with the file, yes you can check periodically...
    Waitable Timer Object Demo June 2005
    .. or you can react when new files actually appear:
    Win32(SDK): Internet Cookie Monitor April 25, 2001

MCM

Leave a comment:

• Peter Lameijn
    replied
    >> Are the serial ports actual serial ports? or USB adapters to RS232?

Yes, actual serial ports...

>> Are the ports using a modem to connect to a modem? or are they to some hardware device?

No, PC-to-PC connection through null-modem cable...

>> I am a bit confused cause the systems are already separate. But maybe your answer to my 1st question will clear this up

Physically separated means they are on different locations

I think that FTB box means: A secured directory where they can drop the file(s). I suppose they call it a box, because it resembles an email box...

>> did you mean IF you create a FTP connection?

In this case, the other side (not our system) creates the connection and drops the files.

Leave a comment:

• Dave Biggs
    replied
    Does physically separated mean connected via LAN or Internet?
    If LAN there are Serial / TCP converters available which could plugin to your existing serial connection setup to extend the range.

How much security is required? If a Username / Password is enough perhaps something like this would suffice?
    ("FTP Box" == folder for ftp 'mail' drop??).
    Code:
    FUNCTION PbMain()
      Shell Environ$("Comspec") + " /k " + " FTP -s:" + """FTP Script.txt"""    ' /c  ...  , 0
      ' Double quote filenames w/spaces
      ' Change /k to /c to close cmd window when done.
      ' add ' , 0 ' to end of line to hide cmd window.
      ' SHELL "FTP -s:FTPScript.txt"
      ' -s:filename - Specifies a text file containing ftp commands; the commands will automatically run 
      ' after ftp starts.

END FUNCTION
    '------------------/

' Sample FTP Script (save as "FTP Script.txt"):

'open [URL="ftp://ftp.host.com"]ftp.host.com[/URL]
    'username
    'password
    'get /ftpfolder/file1.txt c:\myfiles\file1.txt
    'put c:\myfiles\file2.txt /ftpfolder/file2.txt
    'disconnect
    'quit
    '------------------/

Leave a comment:

• Cliff Nichols
    replied
    Peter,
    I am confused so I thought I would break-down your post the way I read it.

At the moment we have some programs running, which get periodically data updates through a serial RS232 connection.
    Are the serial ports actual serial ports? or USB adapters to RS232?
    Are the ports using a modem to connect to a modem? or are they to some hardware device?

Because the systems will be physically separated in the future, another way must be found.
    I am a bit confused cause the systems are already separate. But maybe your answer to my 1st question will clear this up

Now the client wants to do this by one of the following options:

First is they create an 'FTP-Box' on their server, where I can collect the data.
    I don't really know what an FTP -Box is...
    I do not either...so I am guessing an internet update type of thing?

Second is we create an FTP-Box on our system, which must be accessable for the server to place the files in. (through rcp, ftp or sftp demon )
    did you mean IF you create a FTP connection?

Please do not take this as a "smite" of sorts, I am just interested in just "what is the process you are doing???" (sometimes language and intent can be misconstrued between languages) so since you mentioned RS232 (Serial Port) and being one of my strong points I thought I would ask what the core process is and why?

Leave a comment:

• Peter Lameijn
    replied
    Email is not secure, and it wouldn't be any easier. (I would have to implement email boxes on the system)

Leave a comment:

• John Strasser
    replied
    why not just email the data?

JS

oops! - double post
    Last edited by John Strasser; 18 May 2009, 01:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Mattias
    replied
    Wait a minute...
    which get periodically data updates through a serial RS232 connection. Because the systems will be physically separated in the future, another way must be found.
    RS232 communication works just fine when systems are physically separate. Come to think of it, I think that's why someone invented serial communications. on me!

MCM

Leave a comment:

• John Strasser
    replied
    Why not just have them email the data?

JS

Leave a comment:

• Peter Lameijn
    replied
    So I suppose I need something like this: http://www.freesshd.com/?ctt=overview
    to implement sftp? I only need a (secured with username/password) directory where a file can be dropped every 10 minutes with updated data.
    Hoped it could be done without external programs... (Never used sftp)

Leave a comment:

• Michael Mattias
    replied
    I've never heard of an "FTP Box." I have heard of an "FTP Server", which is what I think you are looking for.

You turn a "box" into a "server" by installing server software. There are no special hardware requirements, assuming your "box" has adequate internet connectivity.

But FTP is only one way to move data using the Internet as the communications carrier. TCP or UDP may be used, or you can use the Internet helper functions in WinInet.DLL (or use the "not helper" socket functions). (Me, I'm a wimp and use WinInet).

You might want to just browse the "Programming the Internet" forum here... you'll probably get even more ideas there.

MCM

Leave a comment:

• Peter Lameijn
    started a topic FTP Box.

FTP Box.

At the moment we have some programs running, which get periodically data updates through a serial RS232 connection. Because the systems will be physically separated in the future, another way must be found.
    Now the client wants to do this by one of the following options:

First is they create an 'FTP-Box' on their server, where I can collect the data.
    I don't really know what an FTP -Box is...

Second is we create an FTP-Box on our system, which must be accessable for the server to place the files in. (through rcp, ftp or sftp demon )

Would both be do-able /what's the easiest?
Working...
X