No announcement yet.

Searching with mismatches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ... found 86 matches...Then ....it found less matches..... And Then .... It finds NO matches.
    You may call me old fashioned for saying so, but Correct Slowly beats the snot out of Wrong Quickly.

(Did anyone bother to PREDICT the correct answer before embarking on coding it? I thought not.)
    Michael Mattias
    Tal Systems Inc. (retired)
    Racine WI USA
    [email protected]
    http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

• When it was established that we weren't worrying about the unknowns, accuracy became an unknown as well.
      Since the code developed doesn't consider unknowns, what happens when the process discovers an unknown? Does it bog down while it tries to sort itself out or is there a hitherto unmentioned second algorithm that handles the unknown?
      How much is this issue going to slow down the process?

Michael's assessment is valid even though we were given a very good example on how to speed things up.
      Rod
      I want not 'not', not Knot, not Knott, not Nott, not knot, not naught, not nought, but aught.

Comment

• Michael,
        Did anyone bother to PREDICT the correct answer before embarking on coding it? I thought not.)
        The original poster gave a list of expected results in post 110:
        http://www.powerbasic.com/support/pb...&postcount=110

The fastest code so far, in post 118, produces results which match exactly the figures given in post 110.

Paul.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul Dixon View Post
          Michael,

The original poster gave a list of expected results in post 110:
          http://www.powerbasic.com/support/pb...&postcount=110

The fastest code so far, in post 118, produces results which match exactly the figures given in post 110.

Paul.
          What was given in 110 was a comparison between two methods, not expected results or even if either was giving accurate results. For all we know one was just taking longer to give the same wrong answer. It's the same for ALL the code used here. We don't have real life data to test on.

============================================
          "To put the world in order,
          we must first put the nation in order;
          To put the nation in order,
          we must first put the family in order;
          To put the family in order,
          we must first cultivate our personal lives;
          and set our hearts right."
          Confucius
          It's a pretty day. I hope you enjoy it.

Gösta

JWAM: (Quit Smoking): http://www.SwedesDock.com/smoking
          LDN - A Miracle Drug: http://www.SwedesDock.com/LDN/

Comment

• Gösta,
            maybe I assumed too much but when Peter posted "The original BASIC version produces.." I assumed that was his original version which he was happy with and worked but which he needed speeding up. Since the post in 118 now produces identical results to the original I'd take it that the problem is solved. Only Peter could say for sure.

Paul.

Comment

• Hi

Sorry just saw that the thread had re-activated again!

Because the search strings are long and generated from random sequences of bases or numbers, then it is obviously hard to know a priori whether counts are correct or not. On the other hand, the observation of identical results using a variety of search window widths, numbers of tolerated mismatches and search and query string lengths between the original program and the final, corrected machine code version posted by Paul (post 114) suggests that they represent the correct answer. They are based on quite different methods for matching and counting mismatches, while the outer loops that generate the search windos in the query$ and search$ are pretty standard and straightforward.

Peter

Comment

• Really not trying to be a pita here but ...
                ... Only Peter could say for sure.
                And Peter says
                ... then it is obviously hard to know a priori whether counts are correct or not ...
                ... suggests that they represent the correct answer.
                That doesn't souind very "sure" to me. I spent a pretty fair amount of time trying (nearly) every code posted using identical strings and search parameters and there were varying results. Now if I made an error in doing that which caused the variance in results, fair enough. But if I didn't, it "suggests" at least one of the routines is not reliable.

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight,
                it's the size of the fight in the dog."
                Mark Twain (1835-1910)
                It's a pretty day. I hope you enjoy it.

Gösta

JWAM: (Quit Smoking): http://www.SwedesDock.com/smoking
                LDN - A Miracle Drug: http://www.SwedesDock.com/LDN/

Comment

• FWIW or
                  In the code in post #120 several thousand comparisons are not made because of these two expressions in the FOR/NEXT loops:
                  Code:
                  search_length - match_length
                  query_length - match_length
                  The final 28 (match_length) characters of the search string never get compared to the thousands of match segments and the final 28 characters of the match string never get compared to the thousands of search segments.
                  That error has been in several posts previous to that.
                  Rod
                  I want not 'not', not Knot, not Knott, not Nott, not knot, not naught, not nought, but aught.

Comment

• Hi

Yes, should be:

search_length - match_length + 1
                    query_length - match_length + 1

I suppose. Sorry!

Comment

• No, should be
                      (search_length - match_length) + 1
                      (query_length - match_length) + 1
                      or
                      search_length - (match_length -1)
                      query_length - (match_length -1)
                      Rod

Comment

• sorry to contradict you but both:

Code:
                        (search_length - match_length) + 1
                        (query_length - match_length) + 1

and

search_length - (match_length -1)
                        query_length - (match_length -1)
                        are arithmetically equivalent to what I originally posted:

Code:
                        search_length - match_length + 1
                        query_length - match_length + 1
                        Evaluation proceeds from left to right (for operators of equal precedence, as + and - are), so the first two numbers are subtracted, before the third term is added. And of course you can modify that with parentheses, but it's not necessary here.

This is from the helpfile:
                        To handle operations of the same priority, PowerBASIC proceeds from left to right. For example, in the expression 4 - 3 + 6, the subtraction (4 - 3) is performed before the addition (3 + 6), producing the intermediate expression 1 + 6.
                        Try it!

Code:
                        #COMPILE EXE
                        #DIM ALL 

FUNCTION PBMAIN () AS LONG

PRINT 50 - 10 + 1
                            PRINT (50 - 10) + 1
                            PRINT 50 - (10 - 1)
                            WAITKEY$

END FUNCTION
                        Peter

Comment

• You're right Peter!
                          I was forgetting about that particular feature. I follow the old BEDMAS order because it's a standard in other programs that I use and I never think to alter it.
                          Rod

Comment

• Rodney, I wouldn't call that a "feature". It is the way math works even when doing it on paper. Addition and subtraction can appear in any order just like multiplication and division can appear in any order. When you start mixing addition/subtraction with multiplication/division is when you need to start worry about order because multiplication/division is done first.

1 + 2 - 3 = (1 + 2) - 3
                            1 * 2 / 3 = (1 * 2) / 3
                            1 + 2 * 3 <> (1 + 2) * 3

I think PB's only variance from the standard order of precedence is with its additional operators such as integer division operator (\} and modulo. This means that 4 / 2 * 2 <> 4 \ 2 * 2 as the former gives a result of 4 and the latter a result of 1. I haven't actually tried this in PB but the order of precedence is listed as this:

Code:
                            B   parentheses ( )
                            E   exponentiation (^)
                                negation (-)
                            DM  multiplication (*),  floating point division (/)
                                integer division (\)
                                modulo (MOD)
                            AS  addition (+), subtraction (-)
                                et al
                            I added the BEDMAS characters so that you can see PB is following it with some addtions. I see that another problem may lie in the negation being higher than multiplication/division. After all, negation is simply a short form for "-1 *" but I don't think it will ever be a problem as 2 * -5 should still give the same result as 2 * -1 * 5, -5 * 2 and -1 * 5 * 2.

By the way, just as a note of trivia brackets are the square ones "[]", parentheses are the round ones "()" and braces are the squiggly ones "{}". Many people use the wrong terms for these symbols.
                            Jeff Blakeney

Comment

• Well, I was referring to the ages before I used computers where I was taught to do them in the BEDMAS order, and there are still many of us around that think that way.

Specifically, in the case we are discussing what I was defining was the length of the string minus one less than the segment length. Thus having to add something kind of doesn't make sense. Yet, it is right!! All is good.
                              Rod

Comment

• Thread change

For anyone coming to this thread late (like me), this should serve as notice that the discussion has been moved to:

http://www.powerbasic.com/support/pb...ad.php?t=42020

This should be the last post in this thread...

Comment

• I just acquired a new PC and needed something to test it on so I quickly dabbled with this problem again.

Earlier in this thread I said I tried XMM registers but they weren't too successful and that multicore CPUs should save time.

I now have a PC with a multicore CPU and which runs SSE instructions so I reworked the code in post 118 of this thread to take advantage of both.
                                  The code in post 118 ran on an Athlon XP 2600+ in 205ms for each mismatch target, so for all mismatch targets from 0 to 10 it takes about 2.255 seconds.
                                  The reworked code below runs on a Phenom II quad core 3GHz CPU in about 210ms but does all mismatch targets from 0 to 10 simultaneously allowing all available CPU cores to be used. That's over 10 times as fast again as "the fastest so far".

The code is posted below.
                                  It uses XMM registers for parallel comparisons.
                                  It does 2 blocks of comparisons at a time because that saves a little on loop overhead.
                                  It threads the tests so each mismatch target is run in its own thread allowing it to take advantage of multi core CPUs.

Paul.
                                  Code:
                                  'PBCC5 program
                                  #COMPILE EXE
                                  #REGISTER NONE
                                  DEFLNG a-z

#INCLUDE "win32api.inc"

TYPE ThreadToken
                                      search_length   AS LONG
                                      query_length    AS LONG
                                      match_length    AS LONG
                                      mismatch_target AS LONG
                                      querystring     AS STRING PTR
                                      searchstring    AS STRING PTR
                                      TotalMatches    AS LONG
                                  END TYPE

TYPE dquad
                                      l AS QUAD
                                      h AS QUAD
                                  END TYPE

FUNCTION PBMAIN () AS LONG

LOCAL Token() AS ThreadToken
                                  LOCAL hThreads() AS LONG

DIM hThreads(0 TO 20)
                                  DIM Token(0 TO 20)
                                  LOCAL t1,t2 AS EXT
                                  LOCAL freq, count0, count1 AS QUAD

QueryPerformanceFrequency freq   'Get timer frequency.

REM User defined run parameters
                                  '   -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                      search_length = 6000: query_length = 5000: match_length = 22: mismatch_target =5
                                  '   -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REM Set up sequences and variables, create random search and query sequences

LOCAL searchPtr, queryPtr, a_Ptr, b_Ptr AS BYTE PTR

matches_needed = match_length - mismatch_target

RANDOMIZE 1

query$ = SPACE$(query_length)
                                      FOR a = 1 TO query_length: MID$(query$, a, 1) = MID$("1248", RND(1, 4), 1): NEXT a
                                      queryPtr = STRPTR(query$)

FOR a = 1 TO query_length: @queryPtr[a] = @queryPtr[a] -48:NEXT

query$ = query$ +  STRING$(32,CHR$(16))   'add a 32 byte tail to stop overrun when 32 bytes are taken and less bytes are valid
                                      queryPtr = STRPTR(query$)  'update string pointer because it changed on the above line

search$ = SPACE$(search_length)
                                      FOR a = 1 TO search_length: MID$(search$, a, 1) = MID$("1248", RND(1, 4), 1): NEXT a
                                      searchPtr = STRPTR(search$)
                                      FOR a = 1 TO search_length: @searchPtr[a] = @searchPtr[a] - 48: NEXT

search$ = search$ +  STRING$(32,CHR$(16)) 'add a 32 byte tail to stop overrun when 32 bytes are taken and less bytes are valid
                                      searchPtr = STRPTR(search$)  'update string pointer because it changed on the above line

'now do the searches using threads to take advantage of multiple cores/CPUs
                                      QueryPerformanceCounter count0   'read the timer at the start of the test

NoofThreads = 0
                                      FOR mismatch_target = 0 TO 10

INCR NoofThreads
                                          'for each mismatch target set uop a new thread.
                                          'The following are the parameters that need to be passed to/from that thread
                                          Token(mismatch_target).search_length = search_length
                                          Token(mismatch_target).query_length = query_length
                                          Token(mismatch_target).match_length = match_length
                                          Token(mismatch_target).mismatch_target = mismatch_target
                                          Token(mismatch_target).querystring = VARPTR(query$)
                                          Token(mismatch_target).searchstring = VARPTR(search$)

'create the thread
                                          THREAD CREATE ProcessingThread(VARPTR(Token(mismatch_target))), TO hThreads(mismatch_target)
                                      NEXT

'wait for all threads to finish
                                      WaitForMultipleObjects(BYVAL NoofThreads, BYVAL VARPTR(hThreads(0)),BYVAL %true, %INFINITE)

QueryPerformanceCounter count1   'read the timer at the end of the test

'print out the results
                                      FOR r = 0 TO NoofThreads -1
                                          PRINT "Mismatch target ="r;" Total matches =";Token(r).TotalMatches
                                      NEXT

PRINT "Total time taken =";FORMAT$(1000*(count1-count0)/freq,"######0.000");"msec"

WAITKEY$

END FUNCTION

THREAD FUNCTION ProcessingThread(BYVAL TokenPointer AS LONG) AS LONG
                                  LOCAL InputData AS ThreadToken  PTR
                                  LOCAL r,t AS LONG
                                  LOCAL xmask1, xmask2 AS dquad
                                  LOCAL count0, count1 AS QUAD

InputData=TokenPointer

total_matches = 0

REM start timer and begin the search
                                          TIX k&&
                                          'generate the masks used for non-multiples of 8 sequence lengths
                                          Mask0&& = &hffffffffffffffff
                                          Mask1&& = &hffffffffffffffff
                                          Mask2&& = &hffffffffffffffff
                                          Mask3&& = &hffffffffffffffff

SELECT CASE @InputData.match_length
                                              CASE 1 TO 8
                                                  SHIFT LEFT mask0&&, 8 * @InputData.match_length

CASE 9 TO 16
                                                  Mask0&& = &h0
                                                  SHIFT LEFT mask1&&,8 * (@InputData.match_length -8)

CASE 17 TO 24
                                                  Mask0&& = &h0
                                                  Mask1&& = &h0
                                                  SHIFT LEFT mask2&&,8 * (@InputData.match_length -16)

CASE 25 TO 32
                                                  Mask0&& = &h0
                                                  Mask1&& = &h0
                                                  Mask2&& = &h0
                                                  SHIFT LEFT mask3&&,8 * (@InputData.match_length -24)

END SELECT

xmask1.l=0
                                  xmask1.h=&h0
                                  xmask2.l=&hffff000000000000
                                  xmask2.h=&hffffffffffffffff

query$ =  @[email protected]
                                  search$ = @[email protected]
                                  queryPtr = STRPTR(query$)
                                  searchPtr = STRPTR(search$)

mismatch_target = @InputData.mismatch_target

alimit = LEN(query$) - @InputData.match_length -32   'take off 32 as there's 32 bytes of padding at the end

FOR b = 1 TO LEN(search$) - @InputData.match_length -32 'take off 32 as there's 32 bytes of padding at the end

b_Ptr =searchPtr + b

!mov esi,b_ptr    'get pointer into register ready for the loop
                                              !movdqu xmm0,[esi]         'get 32 bytes to compare for this attempt
                                              !movdqu xmm1,[esi+16]

'   !por xmm0,mask0&&        'mask off the bytes that aren't to be included
                                              !por xmm1,xmask2

!mov edi,queryPtr       'get pointer to other string
                                              !mov edx,mismatch_target

' FOR a = LEN(query$) - match_length to 1 step -1
                                              !mov ecx, alimit

!pxor xmm6,xmm6                 'zero xmm6 for later

#ALIGN 16
                                              'it's sligtly quicker to do the data 2 sets at a time, one shifted by 1 byte compared to the other
                                              aloop:

!movdqu xmm4,[edi+ecx]        'get 32 bytes to check
                                              !movdqu xmm5,[edi+ecx+16]

!movdqu xmm2,[edi+ecx-1]      'get next 32 bytes to check
                                              !movdqu xmm3,[edi+ecx+15]

!pand xmm4,xmm0               'do the 32 byte ANDs
                                              !pand xmm5,xmm1

!pand xmm2,xmm0               'do the next 32 byte ANDs
                                              !pand xmm3,xmm1

!pcmpeqb xmm4,xmm6            'do the 32 bytes worth of compare with zero
                                              !pcmpeqb xmm5,xmm6

!pcmpeqb xmm2,xmm6            'do the next 32 bytes worth of compare with zero
                                              !pcmpeqb xmm3,xmm6

!paddb xmm4,xmm5              'add up how many mis-matched
                                              !psadbw xmm4,xmm6

!paddb xmm2,xmm3              'add up how many mis-matched in next 32 bytes
                                              !psadbw xmm2,xmm6

!movdqa xmm7,xmm4             'Sum the 1st 32 byte matches
                                              !psrldq xmm7,8
                                              !paddw xmm4,xmm7

'!pextrw eax,xmm4,0           'get the answer into a CPU register, it's negative so -4 means 4 mismatches
                                              !movd eax,xmm4               'faster than pextrw

!add al,dl 'mismatch_target   'if this overflows, condition is met and carry is set
                                              !adc total_matches,0          'add carry into total to count matches

!movdqa xmm7,xmm2             'sum the 2nd 32 byte matches
                                              !psrldq xmm7,8
                                              !paddw xmm2,xmm7

'!pextrw eax,xmm4,0           'get the answer into a CPU register, it's negative so -4 means 4 mismatches
                                              !movd eax,xmm2               'faster than pextrw

!add al,dl 'mismatch_target  'if this overflows, condition is met and carry is set
                                              !adc total_matches,0         'add carry into total to count matches

' NEXT a
                                              !sub ecx,2                   '2 because we're ding 2 sets at a time for speed
                                                                           'this does mean the searc string MUST be a multple of 2 in length!
                                              !jnz short aloop

NEXT b

@InputData.TotalMatches = total_matches    'return the result

END FUNCTION

Comment

Working...
                                  X