Convert c style text

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert c style text

Is there an api (like sprinf() or so) which let's me use c style text to be converted to actual text like:

T$ = printf( "hello\r\nworld\r\nconverted\t\x22text\x22" )

I just mentioned printf but i haven't a clue if this is related or so.

And if this api is available, doesn't it need to be installed on certain Windows versions?
    Afaik these kind of functions are in a ms dll which often is installed by some application but not nativly present.
    msvc7.dll or whatever its name was..

?
    hellobasic

Msvcrt.dll possibly?

See Fred Harris's posts here

However,
    Code:
    #compile exe
    #dim all

declare function printf cdecl lib "msvcrt.dll" alias "printf" _   'printf from stdio.h
    ( _
      szFmtStr as asciiz _
      [, _
         lpVar1 as any, _
         lpVar2 as any, _
         lpVar3 as any, _
         lpVar4 as any _
      ] _
    ) as long

function pbmain () as long
        local psz as asciz ptr
        local s as string

printf( "hello\r\nworld\r\nconverted\t\x22text\x22" )
        waitkey$

end function
    produces output like:

hello\r\nworld\r\nconverted\t\x22text\x22
    Last edited by Chris Holbrook; 11 Nov 2009, 05:35 PM. Reason: added link etc

Comment

Hi Edwin,

Windows provides wsprintf and wvsprintf. Both are in user32.dll and are available in all versions of Windows.
      Forum: http://www.jose.it-berater.org/smfforum/index.php

Comment

printf===> STDOUT USING$ (mask, variable [,variable..])

"hello\r\nworld\r\nconverted\t\x22text\x22"

The escaped characters ( \anything) may be handled by the c compiler , not the function; this would explain your output.

You might try
        Code:
        STDOUT   USING$ ("Hello & World & converted &&text&", $CR, $CRLF, $TAB, CHR$(&h22), CHR$(&h22))
        MCM
        Michael Mattias
        Tal Systems Inc. (retired)
        Racine WI USA
        [email protected]
        http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

I would like to provide my users an example how to use C syntax in their BASIC code.
          This means they will type it as they would in c and thus i am not looking for the workarounds here.

Thanks Jose, i'll check it out!
          hellobasic

Comment

FWIW wsprintf is declared in win32api.inc...

MSDN describes wsprintf as
            Code:
            int wsprintf(      
                LPTSTR lpOut,
                LPCTSTR lpFmt,
            );
            win32api.inc has

Code:
            #IF %DEF(%NOBYVALPTR)
                DECLARE FUNCTION wsprintf CDECL LIB "USER32.DLL" ALIAS "wsprintfA" (lpOutput AS ASCIIZ, lpFormat AS ASCIIZ, x AS ANY[, x1 AS ANY, x2 AS ANY, x3 AS ANY, x4 AS ANY, x5 AS ANY, x6 AS ANY, x7 AS ANY, x8 AS ANY, x9 AS ANY, _
                    x10 AS ANY, x11 AS ANY, x12 AS ANY]) AS LONG
            #ELSE
                DECLARE FUNCTION wsprintf CDECL LIB "USER32.DLL" ALIAS "wsprintfA" (lpOutput AS ASCIIZ, lpFormat AS ASCIIZ, x AS ANY, OPTIONAL x1 AS ANY, OPTIONAL x2 AS ANY, OPTIONAL x3 AS ANY, OPTIONAL x4 AS ANY, OPTIONAL x5 AS ANY, _
                    OPTIONAL x6 AS ANY, OPTIONAL x7 AS ANY, OPTIONAL x8 AS ANY, OPTIONAL x9 AS ANY, OPTIONAL x10 AS ANY, OPTIONAL x11 AS ANY, OPTIONAL x12 AS ANY) AS LONG
            #ENDIF
            ...so it insists on three arguments.

And still does not translate the embedded escaped characters.

Code:
            #compile exe
            #dim all
            #include "win32api.inc"

function pbmain () as long
                local l as long
                local s as string

s = space$(100)
                wsprintf( byval strptr(s), "hello\r\nworld\r\nconverted\t\x22text\x22", l)
                ? s
                waitkey$

end function
            Aha! wvsprintf does formatting, but is not in win32api.inc.
            Last edited by Chris Holbrook; 11 Nov 2009, 06:13 PM.

Comment

wsprintf does formatting, but you have to use he correct type characters, e.g.

Code:
              #COMPILE EXE
              #DIM ALL
              #INCLUDE "win32api.inc"

FUNCTION PBMAIN () AS LONG

LOCAL szBuffer AS ASCIIZ * 14
                 wsprintf szBuffer, "  %02X %02X %02X  ", BYVAL 120, BYVAL 25, BYVAL 33
                 ? szBuffer

END FUNCTION
              wvsprintf is the same that wsprintf, but accepting a variable argument list instead of optional parameters. As far as I know, it won't work with PB.
              Forum: http://www.jose.it-berater.org/smfforum/index.php

Comment

It's C that does that peculiar character translation. If you want to map that to PowerBASIC, the syntax will be a little different-- or you could create a translation function.

"hello\r\nworld\r\nconverted\t\x22text\x22"

Let's see, the \r is a Return, or $CR. x22 is &H22, or $DQ. Oh, the \t is a tab, $TAB. \n would be Newline, or $LF.

CHR$("hello", $CRLF, "world", $CRLF, "converted", $TAB, $DQ, text, $DQ)

...if I haven't missed anything. The backslash is an escape character in C strings. The argument here is either a letter representing a well-known control code, or a numeric value specifying an ASCII code, where "x" means it's in hex form.

I seem to recall that the escape code works for everything-- so, "\"foo" is actually another way to say CHR$($DQ, "foo") fer example.
                Last edited by Tom Hanlin; 11 Nov 2009, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by José Roca View Post
                  wsprintf does formatting
                  So it does. My brain is even worse after midnight!

Here is the MSDN link:

Comment

> CHR$("hello", $CRLF, "world", $CRLF, "converted", $TAB, $DQ, text, $DQ)

I keep forgetting this is not my father's CHR$().

I do OK picking up the "NEW!" functions, it's using the "IMPROVED!" functions which eludes me.
                    Michael Mattias
                    Racine WI USA
                    [email protected]

Comment

There are a lot of things that need to be dealt with when translating a printf to PowerBASIC. PB's USING$ is similar but uses totally different formatting characters. The slash escaped sequences of a printf format string are the easy part as all but the octal number to represent an ASCII character can simply be replaced with the REPLACE command (ie. REPLACE "\r" WITH CHR$(13) IN sFormat). Things get tough when dealing with the % escaped characters because there are multiple number formats including scientific notation, hexadecimal and octal that don't have corresponding codes in PB's USING$. Combine that with the fact that many of these % sequences can start with #-+`' or 0 to change the meaning, can have a field width specified and/or can have a precision specified before you get to that format character it can get pretty crazy.

Probably the easiest solution would be to create a DLL with C that just puts a wrapper around a printf call and declare that in your PB program and use it. You would have a limited number of parameters but if you really want them to have the ability to use the printf format then that is probably the way to go.
                      Jeff Blakeney

Comment

I have tried the little example from above but that didn't convert the text.
                        Frankly, i don't think any conversion is possible, i think the c-compilers do that for us.

I haven't tried wvsprintf yet since it isn't declared but now i doubt if it will help anyway.

Unless you fokes know otherwise?
                        hellobasic

Comment

I know I tried that old PB Version 8 printf example of mine sometime after PB 9 came out and found out it wouldn't compile because of this...

Code:
                          Declare Function printf CDecl Lib "msvcrt.dll" Alias "printf" _   'printf from stdio.h
                          ( _
                            szFmtStr As Asciiz _
                            [, _
                               Byval lpVar1 As Any, _
                               Byval lpVar2 As Any, _
                               Byval lpVar3 As Any, _
                               Byval lpVar4 As Any _
                            ] _
                          ) As Long
                          Byval ... As Any wasn't allowed anymore. But Jose's idea works with it if you change it to Byref and specify a Byval over ride in the printf call. This works in PB 9...

Code:
                          'Program demonstrates how to restore standard output handle in C Runtime Library
                          'which is zeroed out by initialization of GUI process.
                          #Compile Exe
                          #Include "Win32api.inc"           'Translation of Windows.h for PowerBASIC
                          %IDC_BUTTON1 = 1250               'ctrl id of button
                          %O_TEXT      = &H4000             'from Fcntl.h

Type FILE      'From stdio.h      'When a GUI application is started the three standard OS handles
                            pChar        As Asciiz Ptr      'STD_INPUT_HANDLE, STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE, and STD_ERROR_HANDLE are all
                            cnt          As Long            'zeroed out by the console initialization routines.  These three
                            pBase        As Asciiz Ptr      'handles are replaced by valid values when a GUI application calls
                            flag         As Long            'AllocConsole(). Therefore, once this is done, calling GetStdHandle()
                            fil          As Long            'will always return valid handle values. The problem is that the
                            charbuf      As Long            'CRT has already completed initialization before an application gets
                            bufsize      As Long            'a chance to call AllocConsole(); the three low I/O handles 0, 1,
                            TmpFileName  As Asciiz Ptr      'and 2 have already been set up to use the original zeroed out OS
                          End Type                          'handles, so all CRT I/O is sent to invalid OS handles and CRT output
                                                            'does not appear in the console.

Declare Function GetConsoleWindow Lib "Kernel32.dll" Alias "GetConsoleWindow" () As Dword

Declare Function printf CDecl Lib "msvcrt.dll" Alias "printf" _   'printf from stdio.h
                          ( _
                            szFmtStr As Asciiz _
                            [, _
                               lpVar1 As Any, _
                               lpVar2 As Any, _
                               lpVar3 As Any, _
                               lpVar4 As Any _
                            ] _
                          ) As Long

Declare Function Open_OSFileHandle CDecl Lib "msvcrt.dll" Alias "_open_osfhandle" _  'from IO.h
                          ( _
                            Byval hHandle As Long, _
                            Byval iType   As Long _
                          ) As Long

Declare Function FDOpen CDecl Lib "msvcrt.dll" Alias "_fdopen" _   'from stdio.h
                          ( _
                            Byval hHandle As Long, _
                            ByRef pszStr As Asciiz _
                          ) As Dword

Function WndProc(Byval hWnd As Long,Byval wMsg As Long,Byval wParam As Long,Byval lParam As Long) As Long
                            Select Case wMsg
                              Case %WM_CREATE
                                Local hButton As Dword
                                Local hIns As Dword
                                hIns=GetModuleHandle(Byval 0)
                                hButton=CreateWindow("button","Show Console!",%WS_CHILD Or %WS_VISIBLE,110,65,200,25,hWnd,%IDC_BUTTON1,hIns,Byval 0)
                                WndProc=0
                                Exit Function
                              Case %WM_COMMAND
                                If Lowrd(wParam)=%IDC_BUTTON1 And HiWrd(wParam)=%BN_CLICKED Then
                                   Local hStdOutput As Dword              'Standart Output Handle
                                   Local hf,ptrFile As FILE Ptr           'FILE *
                                   Local hDll,hCrt,dwWeight As Dword
                                   Local hSysMenu As Dword
                                   Register i As Long
                                   hDll=LoadLibrary("msvcrt.dll")         'Load/Increment Reference Count on msvcrt.dll
                                   If hDll Then                           'Get base address of exported symbol _iob from msvcrt.dll.  _iob is an
                                      ptrFile=GetProcAddress(hDll,"_iob") 'array of FILE structs that holds the stdin, stdout, and stderr handles.
                                      Call AllocConsole()                 'These handels are zeroed out at initialization of a GUI process, and
                                      hSysMenu=GetSystemMenu(GetConsoleWindow(),Byval 0)   'must be reset with valid operating system handles if
                                      Call DeleteMenu(hSysMenu,6,%MF_BYPOSITION)           'console output is desired in a GUI process.  With a
                                      hCrt=Open_OSFileHandle(GetStdHandle(%STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE),%O_TEXT)  'valid handel to stdout returned in hf, it
                                      hf=FDOpen(hCrt,"w")                 'is restored back in position 1 of the i/o buffer FILE array with
                                      @ptrFile[1][email protected]                     '@[email protected] printf output using CRT in PowerBASIC!
                                      dwWeight=210
                                      Local szBuffer As Asciiz*32
                                      szBuffer="My Name Is Fred."
                                      For i=1 To 200                     '
                                        printf("%d" + Chr$(9) + "My Name Is Fred And I Weigh %u Pounds!" + $Cr + $Lf, Byval i, Byval dwWeight)
                                      Next i
                                      Call FreeLibrary(hDll)              'Free/decrement reference count on msvcrt.dll
                                   End If
                                End If
                                WndProc=0
                                Exit Function
                              Case %WM_DESTROY
                                Call PostQuitMessage(0)
                                WndProc=0
                                Exit Function
                            End Select

WndProc=DefWindowProc(hWnd, wMsg, wParam, lParam)
                          End Function

Function WinMain(Byval hIns As Long, Byval hPrev As Long, Byval lpCL As Asciiz Ptr, Byval iShow As Long) As Long
                            Local szBuffer As Asciiz * 64
                            Local wc As WNDCLASSEX
                            Local Msg As tagMsg
                            Local hWnd As Dword

szBuffer="Console_Output"                           : wc.lpszClAssName=Varptr(szBuffer)
                            wc.lpfnWndProc=Codeptr(WndProc)                     : wc.cbSize=Sizeof(wc)
                            wc.style=%CS_HREDRAW Or %CS_VREDRAW                 : wc.hInstance=hIns
                            wc.cbClsExtra=0                                     : wc.cbWndExtra=0
                            wc.hIcon=LoadIcon(%NULL, Byval %IDI_APPLICATION)    : wc.hCursor=LoadCursor(%NULL, Byval %IDC_ARROW)
                            wc.hbrBackground=%COLOR_BTNFACE+1                   : wc.lpszMenuName=%NULL
                            Call RegisterClAssEx(wc)
                            szBuffer="GUI Console Output With C Runtime Library From PowerBASIC!"
                            hWnd=CreateWindow("Console_Output",szBuffer,%WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW,500,550,440,200,0,0,hIns,Byval 0)
                            Call ShowWindow(hWnd,iShow)
                            Call UpdateWindow(hWnd)
                            While GetMessage(Msg,%NULL,0,0)
                              TranslateMessage Msg
                              DispatchMessage Msg
                            Wend

Function=msg.wParam
                          End Function
                          Not sure if that's what you are getting at. But that printfs text & numbers, i.e., %d, etc.
                          Last edited by Fred Harris; 12 Nov 2009, 01:05 PM. Reason: fix typo
                          Fred
                          "fharris"+Chr$(64)+"evenlink"+Chr$(46)+"com"

Comment

wsprintf

...and I got this to work with wsprintf which is as mentioned in Win32Api.inc...

Code:
                            'Program demonstrates how to restore standard output handle in C Runtime Library
                            'which is zeroed out by initialization of GUI process.
                            #Compile Exe
                            #Include "Win32api.inc"           'Translation of Windows.h for PowerBASIC
                            %IDC_BUTTON1 = 1250               'ctrl id of button
                            %O_TEXT      = &H4000             'from Fcntl.h

Type FILE      'From stdio.h      'When a GUI application is started the three standard OS handles
                              pChar        As Asciiz Ptr      'STD_INPUT_HANDLE, STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE, and STD_ERROR_HANDLE are all
                              cnt          As Long            'zeroed out by the console initialization routines.  These three
                              pBase        As Asciiz Ptr      'handles are replaced by valid values when a GUI application calls
                              flag         As Long            'AllocConsole(). Therefore, once this is done, calling GetStdHandle()
                              fil          As Long            'will always return valid handle values. The problem is that the
                              charbuf      As Long            'CRT has already completed initialization before an application gets
                              bufsize      As Long            'a chance to call AllocConsole(); the three low I/O handles 0, 1,
                              TmpFileName  As Asciiz Ptr      'and 2 have already been set up to use the original zeroed out OS
                            End Type                          'handles, so all CRT I/O is sent to invalid OS handles and CRT output
                                                              'does not appear in the console.

Declare Function GetConsoleWindow Lib "Kernel32.dll" Alias "GetConsoleWindow" () As Dword

( _
                              szFmtStr As Asciiz _
                              [, _
                                 lpVar1 As Any, _
                                 lpVar2 As Any, _
                                 lpVar3 As Any, _
                                 lpVar4 As Any _
                              ] _
                            ) As Long

Declare Function Open_OSFileHandle CDecl Lib "msvcrt.dll" Alias "_open_osfhandle" _  'from IO.h
                            ( _
                              Byval hHandle As Long, _
                              Byval iType   As Long _
                            ) As Long

Declare Function FDOpen CDecl Lib "msvcrt.dll" Alias "_fdopen" _   'from stdio.h
                            ( _
                              Byval hHandle As Long, _
                              ByRef pszStr As Asciiz _
                            ) As Dword

Function WndProc(Byval hWnd As Long,Byval wMsg As Long,Byval wParam As Long,Byval lParam As Long) As Long
                              Select Case wMsg
                                Case %WM_CREATE
                                  Local hButton As Dword
                                  Local hIns As Dword
                                  hIns=GetModuleHandle(Byval 0)
                                  hButton=CreateWindow("button","Show Console!",%WS_CHILD Or %WS_VISIBLE,110,65,200,25,hWnd,%IDC_BUTTON1,hIns,Byval 0)
                                  WndProc=0
                                  Exit Function
                                Case %WM_COMMAND
                                  If Lowrd(wParam)=%IDC_BUTTON1 And HiWrd(wParam)=%BN_CLICKED Then
                                     Local hStdOutput As Dword              'Standart Output Handle
                                     Local hf,ptrFile As FILE Ptr           'FILE *
                                     Local hDll,hCrt,dwWeight As Dword
                                     Local hSysMenu As Dword
                                     Register i As Long
                                     hDll=LoadLibrary("msvcrt.dll")         'Load/Increment Reference Count on msvcrt.dll
                                     If hDll Then                           'Get base address of exported symbol _iob from msvcrt.dll.  _iob is an
                                        ptrFile=GetProcAddress(hDll,"_iob") 'array of FILE structs that holds the stdin, stdout, and stderr handles.
                                        Call AllocConsole()                 'These handels are zeroed out at initialization of a GUI process, and
                                        hSysMenu=GetSystemMenu(GetConsoleWindow(),Byval 0)   'must be reset with valid operating system handles if
                                        Call DeleteMenu(hSysMenu,6,%MF_BYPOSITION)           'console output is desired in a GUI process.  With a
                                        hCrt=Open_OSFileHandle(GetStdHandle(%STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE),%O_TEXT)  'valid handel to stdout returned in hf, it
                                        hf=FDOpen(hCrt,"w")                 'is restored back in position 1 of the i/o buffer FILE array with
                                        @ptrFile[1][email protected]                     '@[email protected] printf output using CRT in PowerBASIC!
                                        dwWeight=210
                                        Local szOutput As Asciiz*64
                                        For i=1 To 200     
                                          'printf("%d" + Chr$(9) + "My Name Is Fred And I Weigh %u Pounds!" + $Cr + $Lf, Byval i, Byval dwWeight)
                                          wsprintf(szOutput, "%d" + Chr$(9) + "My Name Is Fred And I Weigh %u Pounds!" + $Cr + $Lf, Byval i, Byval dwWeight)
                                          printf("%s", szOutput)
                                        Next i
                                        Call FreeLibrary(hDll)              'Free/decrement reference count on msvcrt.dll
                                     End If
                                  End If
                                  WndProc=0
                                  Exit Function
                                Case %WM_DESTROY
                                  Call PostQuitMessage(0)
                                  WndProc=0
                                  Exit Function
                              End Select

WndProc=DefWindowProc(hWnd, wMsg, wParam, lParam)
                            End Function

Function WinMain(Byval hIns As Long, Byval hPrev As Long, Byval lpCL As Asciiz Ptr, Byval iShow As Long) As Long
                              Local szBuffer As Asciiz * 64
                              Local wc As WNDCLASSEX
                              Local Msg As tagMsg
                              Local hWnd As Dword

szBuffer="Console_Output"                           : wc.lpszClAssName=Varptr(szBuffer)
                              wc.lpfnWndProc=Codeptr(WndProc)                     : wc.cbSize=Sizeof(wc)
                              wc.style=%CS_HREDRAW Or %CS_VREDRAW                 : wc.hInstance=hIns
                              wc.cbClsExtra=0                                     : wc.cbWndExtra=0
                              wc.hIcon=LoadIcon(%NULL, Byval %IDI_APPLICATION)    : wc.hCursor=LoadCursor(%NULL, Byval %IDC_ARROW)
                              wc.hbrBackground=%COLOR_BTNFACE+1                   : wc.lpszMenuName=%NULL
                              Call RegisterClAssEx(wc)
                              szBuffer="GUI Console Output With C Runtime Library From PowerBASIC!"
                              hWnd=CreateWindow("Console_Output",szBuffer,%WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW,500,550,440,200,0,0,hIns,Byval 0)
                              Call ShowWindow(hWnd,iShow)
                              Call UpdateWindow(hWnd)
                                TranslateMessage Msg
                                DispatchMessage Msg
                              Wend

Function=msg.wParam
                            End Function
                            Fred

Comment

But if you don't need a console window wsprintf gets realy easy like Jose showed. Here is output to a text box where I output an integer (%u)...

Code:
                              #Compile       Exe
                              #Include       "Win32api.inc"
                              %IDC_BUTTON    =2000
                              %IDC_TEXT      =2002

Type WndEventArgs
                                wParam As Long
                                lParam As Long
                                hWnd   As Dword
                                hInst  As Dword
                              End Type

Declare Function FnPtr(wea As WndEventArgs) As Long

Type MessageHandler
                                wMessage As Long
                                dwFnPtr As Dword
                              End Type
                              Global MsgHdlr() As MessageHandler

Sub Command1_OnClick(Wea As WndEventArgs)
                                Local szOutput As Asciiz*64
                                Local iWt As Long
                                iWt=210
                                wsprintf(szOutput, "My Name Is Fred And I Weigh %u Pounds!", Byval iWt)
                                Call SetWindowText(GetDlgItem(Wea.hWnd,%IDC_TEXT),szOutput)
                              End Sub

Function fnWndProc_OnCreate(wea As WndEventArgs) As Long
                                Local pCreateStruct As CREATESTRUCT Ptr
                                Local hCtl As Dword

pCreateStruct=wea.lParam
                                [email protected]
                                hCtl=CreateWindow("button","Do Some wsprintf!",%WS_CHILD Or %WS_VISIBLE,110,15,140,30,wea.hWnd,%IDC_BUTTON,wea.hInst,Byval 0)
                                hCtl=CreateWindowEx(%WS_EX_CLIENTEDGE,"Edit","",%WS_CHILD Or %WS_VISIBLE,20,60,320,25,wea.hWnd,%IDC_TEXT,wea.hInst,Byval 0)

fnWndProc_OnCreate=0
                              End Function

Function fnWndProc_OnCommand(wea As WndEventArgs) As Long
                                Select Case As Long Lowrd(wea.wParam)
                                  Case %IDC_BUTTON
                                    Call Command1_OnClick(wea)
                                End Select

fnWndProc_OnCommand=0
                              End Function

Function fnWndProc_OnClose(wea As WndEventArgs) As Long
                                Call PostQuitMessage(0)
                                fnWndProc_OnClose=0
                              End Function

Function fnWndProc(ByVal hWnd As Long,ByVal wMsg As Long,ByVal wParam As Long,ByVal lParam As Long) As Long
                                Local wea As WndEventArgs
                                Register iReturn As Long
                                Register i As Long

For i=0 To 2
                                  If wMsg=MsgHdlr(i).wMessage Then
                                     wea.hWnd=hWnd: wea.wParam=wParam: wea.lParam=lParam
                                     Call Dword MsgHdlr(i).dwFnPtr Using FnPtr(wea) To iReturn
                                     fnWndProc=iReturn
                                     Exit Function
                                  End If
                                Next i

fnWndProc=DefWindowProc(hWnd,wMsg,wParam,lParam)
                              End Function

Sub AttachMessageHandlers()
                                ReDim MsgHdlr(2) As MessageHandler   'Associate Windows Message With Message Handlers
                                MsgHdlr(0).wMessage=%WM_CREATE   :   MsgHdlr(0).dwFnPtr=CodePtr(fnWndProc_OnCreate)
                                MsgHdlr(1).wMessage=%WM_COMMAND  :   MsgHdlr(1).dwFnPtr=CodePtr(fnWndProc_OnCommand)
                                MsgHdlr(2).wMessage=%WM_CLOSE    :   MsgHdlr(2).dwFnPtr=CodePtr(fnWndProc_OnClose)
                              End Sub

Function WinMain(ByVal hIns As Long, ByVal hPrevIns As Long, ByVal lpCmdLn As Asciiz Ptr, ByVal iShowWnd As Long) As Long
                                Local szAppName As Asciiz*16
                                Local wc As WndClassEx
                                Local hWnd As Dword
                                Local Msg As tagMsg

Call AttachMessageHandlers()                       : szAppName="wsprintf"
                                wc.lpszClassName=VarPtr(szAppName)                 : wc.lpfnWndProc=CodePtr(fnWndProc)
                                wc.cbSize=SizeOf(wc)                               : wc.style=%CS_HREDRAW Or %CS_VREDRAW
                                wc.cbClsExtra=0                                    : wc.cbWndExtra=0
                                wc.hInstance=hIns                                  : wc.hIcon=LoadIcon(%NULL, ByVal %IDI_APPLICATION)
                                wc.hCursor=LoadCursor(%NULL, ByVal %IDC_ARROW)     : wc.hbrBackground=%COLOR_BTNFACE+1
                                wc.lpszMenuName=%NULL
                                Call RegisterClassEx(wc)
                                hWnd=CreateWindowEx(0,szAppName,"wsprintf",%WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW Xor %WS_MAXIMIZEBOX,400,300,375,150,0,0,hIns,ByVal 0)
                                Call ShowWindow(hWnd,iShowWnd)
                                  TranslateMessage Msg
                                  DispatchMessage Msg
                                Wend

Function=msg.wParam
                              End Function
                              Fred

Comment

REGREPL could be be a really easy way to convert from a "c-style formatting string" to a Pb-Style 'mask' for use with USING$() and a variable list, or to a CHR$() string.
                                Michael Mattias
                                Racine WI USA
                                [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Mattias View Post
                                  REGREPL could be be a really easy way to convert from a "c-style formatting string" to a Pb-Style 'mask' for use with USING$() and a variable list, or to a CHR$() string.
                                  In my mind, the word "easy" is never associated with REGREPL or REGEXPR. Also, the REGxxxx commands aren't very fast so if you need to do a lot of them your code would slow down a lot.

Also, like I mentioned in my previous post in this thread, there is also still the problem of being able to specify that a number be displayed in octal, hexadecimal or scientific notation or to restrict the precision of the displayed number and those options don't exist with USING$.

It would be possible, but again I wouldn't say it is easy, to write your own printf routine that worked just like the C command.
                                  Jeff Blakeney

Comment

You have three 'real' problems creating your own "printf"

First, printf accepts a variable number of parameters, and the c compiler sorts that out at compile time. You could come really close by making a function like.....
                                    Code:
                                    FUNCTION printf( szFormatString AS ASCIIZ, v1 AS ANY, OPT v2 as AnY, v3 as ANY... v31 AS ANY) AS LONG
                                    ... where the 32 params total (string + 31 variables) is the limit of the PB compilers.

But that bring us to problem two... The PB compiler will not create a function with "AS ANY" in the procedure header. You could get around that by putting the function into a DLL with "BYVAL AS DWORD" (an address) params for the optional params, and in the calling program it is now perfectly permissible to DECLARE the function with "AS ANY" parameters.

But that brings us to problem number three, which is, the PB compiler requires the datatype of the passed parameters to use FORMAT$() or USING$() or any other "formatting function." .. and given only an address, you have no idea what kind of data is at that address, so you might be SOL......

Except... even that you could work around .... by making all your parameter variables type VARIANT and querying the type of data with the VARIANTVT function.

Your "slow" complaint is a red herring. Sheesh, you are writing to STDOUT, so that I-O is probably the limiting factor anyway.

What, you think the guys at PB can't format strings just as fast as the guys from Microsoft who created the 'printf' statement for their c compilers? I sure think they can.

Have some faith in the Floridians!

MCM
                                    (Or ask for a 'printf' equivalent as a 'New Feature Suggestion' )
                                    Michael Mattias
                                    Racine WI USA
                                    [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Mattias View Post
                                      You have three 'real' problems creating your own "printf"

First, printf accepts a variable number of parameters, and the c compiler sorts that out at compile time. You could come really close by making a function like.....
                                      Code:
                                      FUNCTION printf( szFormatString AS ASCIIZ, v1 AS ANY, OPT v2 as AnY, v3 as ANY... v31 AS ANY) AS LONG
                                      ... where the 32 params total (string + 31 variables) is the limit of the PB compilers.
                                      Yes, you could limit the number of parameters or you could change it to only two parameters, the format string and either a pointer to the start of a linked list or an array of pointers. Creating the linked list or array before calling a new printf wouldn't be as nice as the C version of printf but it would get around the limited parameters situation.

But that bring us to problem two... The PB compiler will not create a function with "AS ANY" in the procedure header. You could get around that by putting the function into a DLL with "BYVAL AS DWORD" (an address) params for the optional params, and in the calling program it is now perfectly permissible to DECLARE the function with "AS ANY" parameters.
                                      If you use a linked list or an array of pointers you will, in effect, be passing a pointer to a DWORD so you don't need to use the ANY keyword.

But that brings us to problem number three, which is, the PB compiler requires the datatype of the passed parameters to use FORMAT$() or USING$() or any other "formatting function." .. and given only an address, you have no idea what kind of data is at that address, so you might be SOL......
                                      The data type is specified in the format string. If you use printf("%d = %s", StringAddr, StringAddr) you will get a decimal representation of the StringAddr followed by " = " followed by the string. Also, if you go with the linked list then that could also keep the data type with it and using an array you could make it two dimenional so that you can have both the data type and value but I think using the type implied by the format string would be more straight forward.

Except... even that you could work around .... by making all your parameter variables type VARIANT and querying the type of data with the VARIANTVT function.
                                      Variants would work too. The array I suggested about could be an array of variants instead of an array of pointers but I don't think needing to know the variable type is all that important in this particular case because commands like FORMAT$ work with any numeric data type.

Your "slow" complaint is a red herring. Sheesh, you are writing to STDOUT, so that I-O is probably the limiting factor anyway.
                                      I did qualify by saying that it would only be a problem if you were doing a lot of printing. I've tested REGEXPR before and for the applications I've tried it, I've always found it faster to write my own code to find the data I want.

What, you think the guys at PB can't format strings just as fast as the guys from Microsoft who created the 'printf' statement for their c compilers? I sure think they can.
                                      I never said that PB's string formatting was slow, I said REGEXPR and REGREPL were slow. One of the reasons I love PB so much is the string handling capabilities.

Have some faith in the Floridians!
                                      I do. Otherwise, I wouldn't be using their products.

MCM
                                      (Or ask for a 'printf' equivalent as a 'New Feature Suggestion' )
                                      The original poster was looking for this functionality, not me. I never much liked printf as I find it overly complicated. I'd rather just use string concatenation and/or USING$.
                                      Jeff Blakeney

Comment

>The data type is specified in the format string

Ooh, ooh, I did not notice that. That eliminates most of the problems....
                                        Code:
                                        UNION pfvar 
                                           S  AS SINGLE PTR 
                                           D  AS DOUBLE PTR 
                                           W  AS WORD PTR 
                                           sz  AS ASCIIZ PTR 
                                           bStr AS STRING PTR 
                                        END UNION  
                                        FUNCTION Printf( szformat AS ASCIIZ, v1 AS PFVar, OPT v2 AS PFVar, v3 AS pvVar..

END FUNCTiON
                                        Now everything is reduced to a simple exercise in string parsing!

(You might still want to put in a DLL so you can DECLARE it with all the "AS ANY")

MCM
                                        Michael Mattias
                                        Racine WI USA
                                        [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                                        X