C function translation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C function translation

I need to convert this C declaration in a VB dll so that I can use it with PB. The declaration is:-
    EXPORT_DLL_FUNCTION(void) GetErrorString(char *errorString, int error);

My translation is:-
    DECLARE FUNCTION GetErrorString LIB "myvb.dll" ALIAS "GetErrorString" (ErrorString AS STRING, errorflag AS INTEGER) AS ????????

The problem is that the DLL does not return an exit value - it just fills ErrorString depending on the value of errorflag. I cannot recompile this DLL (though I have all the required code) so I do not know where to go from here (except here, of course). What can I use instead of the 'void' statement? Have I overlooked something simple?

Iain Johnstone
    “None but those who have experienced them can conceive of the enticements of science” - Mary Shelley

What can I use instead of the 'void' statement?
    Declare it as a SUB instead of a function.
    Forum: http://www.jose.it-berater.org/smfforum/index.php

Comment

Yes, plus int is typically LONG in 32-bit world and ErrorString should probably be ASCIIZ, I think..

Oh sorry, it's VB world. Then forget about ASCIIZ, but LONG should still be most correct.
      Last edited by Borje Hagsten; 12 Mar 2011, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Tried the SUB route - it told me to go away in no uncertain terms!

I have chickened out and taken the error header file data into my own routine and disabled the call to the DLL. Having now got this function in PB-speak, I might try to convert the calls that I am using into a PB DLL.

Many thanks for your interest
        Iain Johnstone
        “None but those who have experienced them can conceive of the enticements of science” - Mary Shelley

Comment

Tried the SUB route - it told me to go away in no uncertain terms!
          I'm not surprised, since errorflag AS INTEGER should be BYVAL errorflag AS LONG.

I need to convert this C declaration in a VB dll so that I can use it with PB. The declaration is:
          I certainly don't understand what you want to do. Convert a C declaration in a VB dll so that I can use it with PB? PB can use C functions without having to use a VB dll as a middleman.

EXPORT_DLL_FUNCTION(void) GetErrorString(char *errorString, int error);
          If this was in a C dll and had to be translated to PB, it will be:

Code:
          DECLARE SUB GetErrorString LIB <name of the dll> ALIAS "GetErrorString" (BYREF errorString AS ASCIIZ,  BYVAL nError AS LONG)
          But I have no idea of what are you doing in your VB dll.

Comment

Has anyone written a "C to PowerBASIC" converter?

I don't even know if it's possible to translate things like ZLIB.DLL or SQLITE.DLL from C to PowerBASIC... but thought I would at least plant the seed, in case someone could translate and then create an SLL of them...

(yes, I'm just Saturday PB10 dreamin')
            "Ok, yes... I like pie... um, I meant, pi."

Comment

Sorry Jose, I am not explaining this very well.

I have to use a commercial DLL that was designed to be called by VB. The DLL is written in C. The Functions are already defined and I cannot alter them.

The function that I quoted is defined as a FUNCTION, not a SUB, but it has no return value as it is a void. I am trying to use this DLL with PB.

I have the C code and headers and could probably change the function to return a variable, but I have no C compiler to put it back together again. The Integers are also part of the function definitions. The dates on the files suggest that this code is about five years old.

Hope this is clearer,
              Iain

Comment

José is correct. "Under the hood" everything is the same; in PB we call a FUNCTION that returns nothing a SUB. Declare it as a SUB and all will be right with the universe.

-- Eric
                "Not my circus, not my monkeys."

Comment

Jose gave you the right answer... or at least as right as anyone could give you sans documentation for the external function: You need to pass a buffer (BYREF ASCIIZ) to be filled by the function.

The integer param is also a mystery: you'd expect if the integer were the error code for which you are obtaining a literal it would be the first param, which makes for a little more "natural" syntax; AND, it is unusual to pass a buffer to be filled without passing the size of that buffer so the function does not try to write more characters than it will hold (result: instant stack corruption); that is, maybe that integer is supposed to be the buffer size; AND it's a pretty 'weak' function which returns VOID when there are obvious error codes which could be returned, eg "code not found" or "insufficient buffer size."

You get what you pay for, I guess.
                  Michael Mattias
                  Tal Systems (retired)
                  Port Washington WI USA
                  [email protected]
                  http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

AND, it is unusual to pass a buffer to be filled without passing the size of that buffer so the function does not try to write more characters than it will hold.
                    Not so unusual in the C world. There are API functions and C runtime functions that work this way and has been the cause of endless buffer overruns problems in tools like Internet Explorer. These kind of functions assume that you will pass a sufficient buffer. Now, many of these functions have been superseded with safer ones in which you also have to pass the length of the buffer.

Comment

>Not so unusual in the C world [to not require buffer length]...

You get what you pay for.

(Deja vu all over again?)
                      Michael Mattias
                      Tal Systems (retired)
                      Port Washington WI USA
                      [email protected]
                      http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

See also a good page in PB help file - Data Types - Comparative datatypes - C/C++

Comment

You get what you pay for
                          I would pay $$$ for a "C to PowerBASIC function/header translator (with source)" that could translate, say, the ZLIB.DLL source.

Then we could create a ZLIB SLL.

[ok, flame away]
                          "Ok, yes... I like pie... um, I meant, pi."

Comment

Borje - I found that but it was of no help in this situation.

I agree that this declaration leaves a lot to be desired, but I have to work with what I have been supplied with - I can make no changes to the code unless I rewrite it all in PB and compile it as a PB DLL. In fact, all of the functions in the C code pass integers or strings - there are no LONGs. It does use an 'int64' which I assume is a 64bit integer, so there's another problem if I rewrite it!

I do not know how old this code is apart from the file dates, which are around 2005 - this is ancient history in the programming world.

Iain Johnstone

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Dunn View Post
                              I would pay $$$ for a "C to PowerBASIC function/header translator (with source)" that could translate, say, the ZLIB.DLL source.

Then we could create a ZLIB SLL.

[ok, flame away]
                              http://tangiblesoftwaresolutions.com...r_Details.html

It's not power basic and your mileage may vary, but it converts C++ source to VB source. Might be worth trying. There's a demo version.

Also found a web version:
                              http://code2code.net/Default.aspx
                              Last edited by Larry Charlton; 12 Mar 2011, 04:26 PM.
                              LarryC
                              Website
                              Sometimes life's a dream, sometimes it's a scream

Comment

In fact, all of the functions in the C code pass integers or strings - there are no LONGs.
                                a C INT or int is not a PB INTEGER, but a LONG.

It does use an 'int64' which I assume is a 64bit integer, so there's another problem if I rewrite it!
                                A C int 64 is a PB QUAD.

BTW there is not need to rewrite the DLL, just to use it correctly.

Comment

I had assumed that I would need to use a QUAD, but I did not know about the C int being a PB LONG - thank you for this information.

Iain Johnstone

Comment

José is correct. "Under the hood" everything is the same; in PB we call a FUNCTION that returns nothing a SUB. Declare it as a SUB and all will be right with the universe.

-- Eric
                                    The long and short of it is if you need a reply? or ignore if you even get a reply? (pass it on if something needs a reply but your code does not care what the reply is)
                                    Engineer's Motto: If it aint broke take it apart and fix it

"If at 1st you don't succeed... call it version 1.0"

"Half of Programming is coding"....."The other 90% is DEBUGGING"

"Document my code????" .... "WHYYY??? do you think they call it CODE? "

Comment

The generic term for the thing we are talking about is a "procedure".

If a procedure returns "void" -- nothing -- in PB we call it a SUB. You will never get a response from that procedure. Ever.

If procedure returns a value, we call it a FUNCTION.

-- Eric
                                      "Not my circus, not my monkeys."

Comment

Working...
                                      X