Eye strain - reflective monitors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eye strain - reflective monitors

If buying a monitor for programming don't get a reflective monitor!

I had a LG32MA68HY-P which was destroying my eyes.
    Took it out of use and eye strain and head-aches have immediately disappeared.

https://www.tesla.com/roadster

I have been using a Samsung 32" LCD monitor with no reflection, and you can see clearly as the resolution is large

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Doty View Post
      Took it out of use and eye strain and head-aches have immediately disappeared.
      Right. Also important, besides avoiding glare from the monitor surface:
      • Don't have bright lighting behind you or from the ceiling
      • Set the monitor 90° to the window(s) in order to avoid reflections
      • Or, if not possible, next to the windows, but not directly in front if it. In this case have some shades in order to bring the light into about the same level of the monitor.
      Here's my setup - during bright daytime I need to adjust the shades. I am using a 24" Lenovo 1920x 1080.

„Let the machine do the dirty work.“
      The Elements of Programming Style, Brian W. Kernighan, P. J. Plauger 1978

Comment

Albert, a good writing pad with no reflection is good to have also to keep the glare from the table.
        I just put some in an office where the counter top is relatively white and another 2nd office my brother made a counter top with black with sparkly things in it, which was worst.
        The black reflects so much light from all the lights we put in the office.
        https://www.officedepot.com/a/produc...mooth-Writing/
        Also at Bed and Bath I got some neoprene back floor mats that are relatively flat so your arms will not hurt on those corners and your wrist will like it too.
        Those floor mats where about 20 dollars.
        p purvis

Comment

Here's my setup [picture]
          B.S. Nobody's desk is that clean.

Comment

I'm with Anne (no relation - that I know of). My 32" Samsung LCD monitor with 2560x1440 resolution is great. No reflection and no eye strain - even when staring at it for too many hours. And my desk has never been that clean

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Purvis View Post
              Albert, a good writing pad with no reflection is good to have also to keep the glare from the table.
              Correct. The table, home made from off-white laminated chipboard is just for the monitor, keyboard and phone. My desk is on the opposite side, so I need a 180° turn on my chair. A black writing pad:

Originally posted by Michael Mattias View Post
              B.S. Nobody's desk is that clean.
              I always tried to keep it neat & tidy. It helps to focus on the work done. And I need enough room for the the fanfold printouts, if I don't spot the error on the screen. An old habit from the time when I was programming Mainframes...
              „Let the machine do the dirty work.“
              The Elements of Programming Style, Brian W. Kernighan, P. J. Plauger 1978

Comment

Real neat desk!

Comment

Albert,
                  I'm with you. The only thing I want on my desk is whatever I'm working on right now. I use an HP Omen 32" monitor at 2560x1440.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pb_2050.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	769889

Comment

Pretty neat Gary

Comment

> B.S. Nobody's desk is that clean

Mine is a pig stye with coffee cup(s), 3 bottles of pure malt, computer can on top at my left side, phone to the right side and my last i7 with Win7 64 behind it. Then there are other toys and tools and I keep at least one of my video cameras handy, a couple of plug in disk cans that are not plugged in (2 TB is no big deal these days). My computer table is for work, not house keeping, it gets cleaned up occasionally but never takes long to turn back into a pig stye.

PS : I use a 32 inch Philips monitor set to 1920 x 1080 and it has saved my eyesight, the last 24 inch monitor nearly sent me blind.
                      hutch at movsd dot com
                      The MASM Forum

www.masm32.com

Comment

I have a confession

My desk also has pens and paper handy - oh dear.

And under my desk is a good spot for the dog to sit. He likes being near me. And I do sit at my computer for long hours - as my wife sometimes (ok always) notices. Sometimes my dog sits on a chair next to me when he needs to give me programming advice.

There is a window behind my computer - view of road and some open fields. I have a small Venetian blind installed to keep out the setting sun.

And I have a small van der whatsit generator to inspire me. You can put your finger on it and it attracts all the electricity.

And of course headphones to blot out household noises - such as wifely complaints. It plays music.

And a paper on PB shortcuts.

And a paper on all scrabble two word answers - (both ways - starts and ends) so I can beat my sister at online scrabble.
                        [I]I made a coding error once - but fortunately I fixed it before anyone noticed[/I]
                        Kerry Farmer

Comment

Albert very nice view you have there. I hope you get be outside when you wish to be.
                          Otgers, what do say about giving out those monitor model numbers and where you got it. Actual I get Samsung monitors. But they have produced many disappointments where I bought some and the quality was just crap. And that singular small control knob that I call a tit. Is pure crap for most all people except if you have a child doing things to your equipment.
                          p purvis

Comment

Working...
                          X