strategy used in possible changes to another program

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strategy used in possible changes to another program

Stategey In dealing with possible changes of other programs.
    I am thinking for long term reasons it might be better to have an intermediate central program for dealing with other programs.
    An easy example of my concerns would be for writing code to control the microphone status in dragon dictation.
    Although I have code now that can control dragons us of the microphone. But I want to put the code in other programs. It would be foolish of me to not believe Dragon software will always be the same and not change.
    So I need to think standardings my code. The only way I figure to do that is that I have to put s man in the middle and have my code communicate to the midfieb man. I would need code to send to that middle program to instruct it to do something and get responses from it also or just the retrieve a status the middle program may have. The midfielder program in this case would be hidden.
    In this situation, there would be no need for text and I just am not found of a disk file because of the amount of request that might be needed.
    p purvis

Paul,

Its hard to predict what another vendor will do but if you isolate the section of your own code that handles the inter app communication, it will at least make it easier to do any changes that are needed.
    hutch at movsd dot com
    The MASM Forum

www.masm32.com

Comment

So I need to think standardings my code. The only way I figure to do that is that I have to put s man in the middle and have my code communicate to the [middle] man.
      YIKES! Why introduce additional components into a system ... components which themselves could contain errors or require changes due to new versions of something?

#INCLUDE files and DLLs (and maybe now SLLs) are the way to go. When code works, you put it in a library and every program in your suite which needs this code uses it from the library, not from its own inline code.

Yes, this DOES require more planning time before you write that first line of code. In a related factoid, there is no such thing as a free lunch.

MCM
      Michael Mattias
      Tal Systems Inc.
      Racine WI USA
      mmattias@talsystems.com
      http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

Thank you
        p purvis

Comment

Working...
        X