winapi help and win10 64bit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winapi help and win10 64bit

At long last upgraded from XP to win10(latest version) 64bit. Had to reinstall pbwin-10x and pbcc-6x to get all my apps back; no big deal. However the win api help files will no longer run. Is there a work-around for this?
    Walt Decker

Had to reinstall pbwin-10x and pbcc-6x to get all my apps back ...
    Why? Did you have to recompile them on Win 10 64 bit? Everywhere else (that I can think of) applications no longer need PB (or whatever compiler) after being compiled. (unlike interpreted languages which ALWAYS need the interpreter present to run.)

((I would install PB on a new computer, but the purpose would be new/more apps.))

Cheers,
    Dale

Comment

However the win api help files will no longer run.
      What is file extension of the files that no longer run?
      Dale

Comment

.hlp

PS: The apps I was working on did no show up in the apps tabs. After re-installing they were present.
        Walt Decker

Comment

.HLP discontinued long ago!
          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WinHelp
          Dale

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Decker View Post
            .hlp
            In order to display .hlp files you need to install WinHlp32.exe onto your system.
            „Let the machine do the dirty work.“
            The Elements of Programming Style, Brian W. Kernighan, P. J. Plauger 1978

Comment

Thanks, Mr. Richheimer. According to the info in the link, it is only available for win-7; however, I assume it will run in compatibility mode.
              Walt Decker

Comment

Walt,

Get the download on this URL, works fine.

http://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=5201.0

Occasionally when Microsoft force yet another upgrade on Win10, you will have to run it again.
                hutch at movsd dot com
                The MASM Forum

www.masm32.com

Comment

Well, the download from MS did not work. When trying to run the installer I get a certificate invalid message and it stops.
                  Walt Decker

Comment

Steve, are you talking about the winhlp.zip in the jimg post?
                    Walt Decker

Comment

Walt,

This should help. It works for me (though I need to repeat periodically,after a Windows Update
                      Here is a solution (thanks to Komeil Bahmanpour):
                      Go to his site:
                      http://www.komeil.com/blog/windows-h...p-winhlp32-exe

Download winhlp32-windows-7-x86-x64-komeil.cab:

http://www.komeil.com/download/1230

Unpack the download (Install.cmd, winhlp32.exe, winhlp32.exe.mui) to a new directory.
                      Edit the install.cmd and add the following two lines to the ':: Settings' section at the start of the script:

set WindowsVersion=7
                      goto :BypassVersionError

(Then execute Install.cmd) - NB As Administrator !
                      Last edited by Dave Biggs; 12 Oct 2018, 08:30 PM. Reason: Additional comments re: Install.cmd ~ :: Settings and Run As Administrator
                      Rgds, Dave

Comment

I do not see a settings section. Here's what I see:
                        ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
                        ? Windows Help program (WinHlp32) installer for Windows 7 ?
                        ? Revision 2 ?
                        ? June 14, 2009 ?
                        ? Copyright (c) 2009 Chortkeh. All rights reserved. ?
                        ? Command-line scripting by Komeil Bahmanpour. ?
                        ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Setup is detecting Windows version...
                        Inappropriate Windows version. Setup must be run under one of the following
                        operating systems:

* Microsoft Windows 7
                        * Microsoft Windows Server 2008
                        * Microsoft Windows Vista
                        * Microsoft Windows Server 2003
                        * Microsoft Windows XP
                        * Microsoft Windows Server 2000

Press any key to continue . . .
                        But I did find a win32hlp.exe on one of my hd drives that works.
                        Walt Decker

Comment

Hm, I just grabbed a copy of Win32.hlp from an old backup disk, placed it in a separat help file folder I have (for OLE help, etc, too) and pointed my editor to it. No problems at all - win7 64-bit system on an old machine.

Comment

Time to leave behind the old WIN32 API help files. Very dated and obsolete. I strongly recommend downloading and installing the latest full SDK for Windows. The documentation is up to date and much more thorough. You can download it here:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/microsoft-sdks-msdn

I also find it helpful to download and install a slightly older version of the SDK as well, in particular for Windows 7. The reason is the references at the bottom of each topic are less useful in the Windows 10 version than the 7 version since Microsoft treats other older versions of Windows like don't exist in the latest documentation. So things like the "minimum version supported" for an API are meaningless in the Windows 10 docs since they act like the older versions didn't exist. The Windows 7 docs provide a better reference of how far back an API is supported. This is important if you plan on writing apps which will run on older versions of Windows like XP, Vista and 7. You can download older SDK's here:

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-u...ds/sdk-archive

The old HLP file for WIN32 dates back fo early versions of classic Visual basic and is really, really old and almost useless today.

Warning: The Windows SDK's are very big downloads. It is best to download an ISO image and burn a DVD. Then you can install it on any system you want and if you need to remove it you have a backup for installing elsewhere. We are talking Gigabytes, rather than megabytes here. Despite this it is well worth it to get the SDKs'.

The SDK's also have all the API header files (C .h files) so if you are missing anything in the API include files you use it is easy to find it in the original header files and then simply port what you need to a PB include file.

Chris Boss
                            Computer Workshop
                            Developer of "EZGUI"
                            http://cwsof.com
                            http://twitter.com/EZGUIProGuy

Comment

I have both the Windows 10 and the Windows 7 SDK's installed on my development system. There are invaluable. I haven't used the old WIN32 API HLP file in decades.

Chris Boss
                              Computer Workshop
                              Developer of "EZGUI"
                              http://cwsof.com
                              http://twitter.com/EZGUIProGuy

Comment

Thanks, Chris. I do not care for the .chm format, and most of the stuff I do uses the core functions that haven't changed in 20 years. However, I will download the win-10 sdk in case I run into something I can't handle with the old winhlp.
                                Walt Decker

Comment

Hi Walt

The :: Settings section is at the start of the Install.cmd file. See attached copy
                                  Install.zip

I've added a note to the post above; Install.cmd needs to be run 'As Administrator'

Rgds, Dave

Comment

Walt,

When you are finished experimenting with all of the methods that don't work, get that download written by Jim Giordano and have access to the old HLP file format. As for the help file version, I use a complete set from a 1998 Borland CD that I bought back then. You will need to keep it handy as Microsoft delete the winhelp engine at times during upgrades and replace it with the stub that tells you to get a later version of help.
                                    hutch at movsd dot com
                                    The MASM Forum

www.masm32.com

Comment

Chris: I dld the .chm SDK. As far as I'm concerned it's a bunch of %$!&. I don't like having to be on-line to use it and it has no search, no index, just categories.

Steve:

The win32api.exe I found on one of my old disks works. I'm a happy camper.

ALL: Thanks for all your help with this. I really appreciate it.
                                      Walt Decker

Comment

Working...
                                      X