Icons

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Icons

When right-clicking on a shortcut icon a menu pops up with a number of options. At the bottom is a "properties" option. When clicking on that option a properties dialog is displayed. One of the options is "change icon". Clicking that provides a number of icons from which to choose. I've looked for those icons on my hard drive but can't find them. Are they imbedded in the dialog or in some special folder that I can't readily access?
    Walt Decker

Walt
    The icons are initially from the file imageres.dll - Try extracting with an Icon editing Tool (eg AWicons) or with reshacker).

ChangeIcon
    Rgds, Dave

Comment

The displayed icons may come from a number of different places. Frequently they are the icons in the .exe that the shortcut points to. Alternative locations for standard windows icons are in imageres.dll as above or %SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll. (These two files have different collections of icons)

The "Look for icons in this file" will tell you where the current icon and the currently displayed icons are located.

Comment

Thanks, folks. Those give me a place to start.
        Walt Decker

Comment

Working...
        X