OpenWithList

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenWithList

I've been looking in the win10 registery for a comprehensive OpenWithList. The only one I've found is under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\* but that lists only windows apps. When can I find the "openwithlist" that lists other apps, e.g. Paint Shop Pro?
    Walt Decker

Does this help?

Comment

Not really, Mr. Beene. That only tells me how to reset the "openwith" using regedit; it does not tell me where they are. I do not care for the win10 openwith dialog so I want to build my own. I read somewhere that they are stored in a cash, not in the registry, but I can't find it.
      Walt Decker

Comment

Howdy, Walt!

Gary is just fine! Or, my family nickname is "Bimbo", after this song that I liked as a 5-year old.. I answer to that, too! My middle name is "Lee" and I tried to get the family to call me that, but it was a failed attempt.

Then, how about here?

Comment

Thank you. That gets me there!
          Walt Decker

Comment

You may also have a look at Windows file association explained
            - File Association in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT (The Windows XP Way)
            - File Association in HKEY_CURRENT_USER (The Windows 7 Way)
            - File Association in a File (The Windows 10 Way) (XML file exported in group policy)

Some usefull apis...
            Code:
            AssocCreate              Returns a pointer to an IQueryAssociations object. Vista: AssocCreateForClasses is preferred to AssocCreate.
            AssocGetPerceivedType    Retrieves a file's perceived type based on its extension.
            AssocIsDangerous         Determines whether a file type is considered a potential security risk.
            AssocQueryKeyA/W         Retrieves a key related to a file or protocol association from the registry.
            AssocQueryStringA/W      Retrieves a file or protocol association-related string from the registry.
            AssocQueryStringByKeyA/W Retrieves a file association-related string from the registry starting from a specified key.

AssocCreateForClasses      Retrieves an object that implements an IQueryAssociations interface.
            ExtractAssociatedIconA/W   Gets a handle to an icon stored as a resource in a file or an icon stored in a file's associated executable file.
            ExtractAssociatedIconExA/W Gets a handle to an icon stored as a resource in a file or an icon stored in a file's associated executable file.
            ASSOCIATIONELEMENT         Structure

IQueryAssociations interface  Exposes methods that simplify the process of retrieving information stored in the registry in association with defining a file type or protocol and associating it with an application.
            IQueryAssociations::GetData   Searches for and retrieves file or protocol association-related binary data from the registry.
            IQueryAssociations::GetEnum   This method is not implemented.
            IQueryAssociations::GetKey    Searches for and retrieves a file or protocol association-related key from the registry.
            IQueryAssociations::GetString Searches for and retrieves a file or protocol association-related string from the registry.
            IQueryAssociations::Init      Initializes the IQueryAssociations interface and sets the root key to the appropriate ProgID.

Comment

Working...
            X