No announcement yet.

When Zero is not Zero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If 0 is not a number, then what is 1° below 1°F ?
    That's nothing, we get -30 C here.
    Rod
    "To every unsung hero in the universe
    To those who roam the skies and those who roam the earth
    To all good men of reason may they never thirst " - from "Heaven Help the Devil" by G. Lightfoot

Comment

Originally posted by Rodney Hicks View Post
      And what will the temperature be when gorebal warming makes it go up by 30°

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart McLachlan View Post
        Cold!
        [I]I made a coding error once - but fortunately I fixed it before anyone noticed[/I]
        Kerry Farmer

Comment

A label?
          All contrariness aside, zero does have duties to perform. I suspect that long before humans could write that they had first a concept for one, and shortly thereafter, another one and later still yet another one, and at some point in time they gave each a name, and as time went on the added more. Some folks may have stopped at five, but for the most part more numbers were added as needs demanded. Central Americans were the first to sense the value a valueless place holder, then at least a thousand years later, an Asian had the concept before Europeans were aware there were Central Americans and the idea spread slowly. Once it reached Europe, it festered for awhile, and then the concept of standards was conceived, giving a consistency to methods. And the numbers game blossomed, adding negatives, exponents, fractions, errors, not necessarily in this order. Both zero and one are special numbers in a fashion. If a number divided by zero was equal to the number and one was not allowed as a divisor(since it does the same thing to the equation that multiplying by one does) I wouldn't be displeased. But perhaps both zero and one should not be used for multiplication or division. But that would raise other issues, but it might be worth investigating. (by someone else)
          Rod
          "To every unsung hero in the universe
          To those who roam the skies and those who roam the earth
          To all good men of reason may they never thirst " - from "Heaven Help the Devil" by G. Lightfoot

Comment

Originally posted by Rodney Hicks View Post
            Surely you meant to say 243,15 K

Comment

Working...
            X