Comments on PBCC Baudot 5 bit code through COM port

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments on PBCC Baudot 5 bit code through COM port

I believe your CHOOSE() for ASCII to Baudot-Murray conversion is off by one index. I mean CHOOSE is "1" based, not "0" based. For example in your code, &h04 (Murray-ITA2 space character) is the 33rd choice instead of the 32nd (value for ASCII space character is 32).

In my test of CHOOSE() an index of 0 returns 0 (not the first listed choice) or the ELSE value if ELSE is used. An index of 1 returns the first choice, 2 the second, etc

Cheers,
    Late add - just remove the first &h00. (nul is zero in both ASCII and Baudot, and CHOOSE returns zero on a 0 index, choice position is corrected and nul is covered ).
    Last edited by Dale Yarker; 11 Sep 2019, 12:08 AM.
    Dale

Thanks Dale,

I corrected it by adding 1 to the Choose index.
    I made the program for someone else, so I didn't test it here myself. (I don't have any Telex hardware...)
    Regards,
    Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Lameijn View Post
      Thanks Dale,

I corrected it by adding 1 to the Choose index.
      I made the program for someone else, so I didn't test it here myself. (I don't have any Telex hardware...)
      You mean some people are still using telex?

Comment

Hobbyists enough...

The Telex network was still active until 2007. For instance cacao traders used it very often.
        I've been to a trader in Amsterdam who had some 100 telex in one big office...
        ('modernized' with a camera above it to see remotely what's printed...)

One of the reasons for the prolonged succes of telex that it was accepted as a legal document in court.
        It took some time before fax was accepted too as legal document.
        There are still courts where telex and fax are accepted and e-mail not.
        Regards,
        Peter

Comment

deleted
          Dale

Comment

Working...
          X