Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where does the forum database live? Who is hosting the forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where does the forum database live? Who is hosting the forum?

Where does the forum database live? Who is hosting the forum?

The forum is hosted by vBulletin on a Cloudfare server (web server):

A Record: b49443b044e0-003187.vbulletin.net

Which resolves to:
    Cloudflare, Inc. (AS13335)
    and appears to be in Ashburn, Virginia, USA

It's almost certain that the database is co-located with the web server.

Comment

That is correct. I originally set up the subdomain forum.powerbasic.com and pointed it to vBulletin hosting, so everything including the database is in the cloud. This board doesn't see enough traffic to justify setting up a webserver for it.
      "Not my circus, not my monkeys."

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Pearson View Post
        That is correct. I originally set up the subdomain forum.powerbasic.com and pointed it to vBulletin hosting, so everything including the database is in the cloud..
        "In the cloud" is a nonsense buzzword which annoys me. It just means "hosted somewhere on the Internet" and doesn't answer the original question.

Comment

"In the cloud" = In someone else's computer
          Fim Wästberg

Comment

I was thinking that indexing it with DT Search might be a nice project for me, and very useful for all of us. I would need the database to do that. Then I could host the search tool myself. Not the forum, just the search tool. DT Search is amazing!
            Last edited by David Clarke; 6 Oct 2019, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Two problems with that:

1. To access the database, you will need:
              Server address
              Port Number
              Database name
              User ID /Password with sufficient rights to access the relevant tables.

2. The biggie! The database would also need be exposed to outside addresses. Basic security means that the vast majority of web/database configurations restrict database access to specific IP addresses i.e. You need to be on the service providers LAN or accessing the database through a web service on a web server with a permitted IP address.

Comment

Originally posted by David Clarke View Post
                I was thinking that indexing it with DT Search might be a nice project for me, and very useful for all of us. I would need the database to do that. Then I could host the search tool myself. Not the forum, just the search tool. DT Search is amazing!
                "DT Search" in Google gave me lots of irrelevant results. "dtSearch" is the correct term if anyone else is looking for this tool

Comment

Thanks Stuart, I was thinking of just getting a copy of the database. And putting it on SQL server here in my office. Then the search tool would be a web page.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Pearson View Post
                    This board doesn't see enough traffic to justify setting up a webserver for it.
                    Hmm, not sure I agree with this statement. It might not be worth traffic wise, put perhaps cost wise.

Looking at https://www.vbulletin.com/en/vbulletin-cloud, the cheapest is $14.99/ Mo (billed annually). Looking at e.g. https://www.ionos.com/hosting/web-hosting#packages, that's the equivalence of the "Expert package". Yeah, vBulletin license needs to be add to that.

Comment

Originally posted by David Clarke View Post
                      Thanks Stuart, I was thinking of just getting a copy of the database. And putting it on SQL server here in my office. Then the search tool would be a web page.
                      1. I'd almost guarantee that it's a mySQL/Maria/Postgress DB, not SQL Server so there would be a lot of data migration required.
                      2. The DB will have a lot more than just the posts, think dozens of other table for everything from design elements to member data.
                      3. How often would you expect to have to grab the database and refesh your offline copy?

Comment

Hi Stuart

1. I figured the DB would not be in a SQL server format. Not a big deal for me, we deal with client data all the time.
                        2. I would need to see the data to figure out what would be useful.
                        3. Depends on how much of a pain it is getting the data the first time! Ideally there would be a way for me to only deal with new data after the first time.

Initially, I might just build the dt search index and have it point back to the forum to read the full content.

I still can't figure out who to talk to about this?? Is Eric the guy?

Comment

Nope! Adam Drake.

Comment

I was thinking that indexing it with DT Search might be a nice project for me, and very useful for all of us.
                            I would need the database to do that. Then I could host the search tool myself.
                            Code:
                            site:powerbasic.com gbthreads
                            http://www.garybeene.com/sw/gbthreads.htm
                            Code:
                            'Saw Eric Pearson using site:powerbasic.com search term(s)
                            #INCLUDE "win32api.inc"
                            FUNCTION PBMAIN () AS LONG
                             LOCAL sSite,sInput,sSearch AS STRING
                             sSite  = "powerbasic.com"
                             sInput = "David"
                             DO
                              sInput = INPUTBOX$("prompt","title",sInput$,0,0)
                              IF ISFALSE(LEN(sInput)) THEN EXIT DO
                              sSearch$ = "https://google.com/search?&q=site:"+sSite + "+" + sInput$
                              ShellExecute %NULL, "OPEN", sSearch + $NUL, BYVAL %NULL, CURDIR$, %SW_SHOWNORMAL
                             LOOP
                            END FUNCTION
                            Last edited by Mike Doty; 7 Oct 2019, 02:23 PM.
                            https://duckduckgo.com instead of google

Comment

David,

gbThreads is the vehicle I've used in the past to download all threads and provide search features.

I'm working on a new version that will handle the new forum, but I'm still weeks away from finishing it - only because I'm swamped at work.

Comment

Gary, who is the system administrator for the forum? Even if it is hosted I would imagine there is a way to get to the underlying database...?? Right?

Comment

GOTO Post#13
                                  https://forum.powerbasic.com/member/737-adam-j-drake
                                  https://duckduckgo.com instead of google

Comment

Hi David!

No, probably not right. In questions I've asked in the past, I've been told that vBulletin does not provide customers with database level access to the forum content. They have been happy to take on a paid task to provide information, but nothing I've heard/seen suggests you can get database level access on a routine basis.

With gbThreads, I have to download every single thread (about 50K of them) and create a database of my own by parsing the thread files.

Comment

Even Adam does not have remote access to the database unless PB hosts it themselves. He can request a copy of the database at any time in the form of a backup. But not every day since it is a manual process for vBulletin.

The forums do support JSON, maybe you could use that to pull data out.

Comment

Gary. What is needed is to share the load retrieving of webpages.
                                        I had pulled all the threads one time. Bob reminded me it was not mine more or less in a nice tone.
                                        p purvis

Comment

Working...
                                        X