Tablet Computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tablet Computer

Can Powerbasic be run on a Tablet Computer? Any guidelines for migrating from a laptop?

Jim,

As long as the tablet is x86 and it is running Windows as its operating system, you should be able to run PB. If it is not x86 it will not directly run but some OS versions can install x86 emulators.
    hutch at movsd dot com
    The MASM Forum

www.masm32.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Matthews View Post
      Can Powerbasic be run on a Tablet Computer? Any guidelines for migrating from a laptop?
      Yes - as long as the tablet is running Windows on x86 architecture. If it is running Windows on ARM, I understand from recent news reports that the latest Win10 can emulate x86 so it should be possible but I have no personal experience there.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/window...surface-pro-x/

October 7, 2019:
      "In addition to UWP apps, Windows 10 on ARM can also run your x86 Win32 apps (such as Adobe Reader) unmodified, with good performance and seamless user experience, just like any PC. These x86 Win32 apps don't have to recompiled for ARM and don't even realize they are running on ARM processor."

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Matthews View Post
        We have a couple Dell 7" tablets running a very focused app in the warehouse. The biggest problem was the screen size. I had to re-design the GUI to use what looked like over-sized everything. other than that, no issues.
        Real programmers use a magnetized needle and a steady hand

Comment

I use tablets with PB.
          The exact models don't appear to be available anymore but they're similar to these:
          http://support.linxtablets.com/Products/Linx820/
          https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/conn...01/version.asp

They run a standard version on Win10 so any software that runs on a Win10 laptop should run on the tablet.

The screen is near HD (I think it's 1280x800) which makes it difficult to see and touch small items on the screen at native resolution, but that's always going to happen when you scale down from a 15 inch laptop to an 8 inch tablet.

Memory is low, only 32GB, but I still have 10GB free on mine so that's no problem for me.

Most of the cheap tablets have only 1 USB connection which means only 1 USB device can be attached.
          They can be used with an external hub but not at the same time as charging the tablet. I either charge the tablet battery via the USB or I can connect a peripheral to the USB.

Some minor issues which occur on both my types of tablets but this may not happen on all tablets:
          If the screen powers down then the sound is also powered down. This means that if I have the screen off to save power, I can't have the sound.

There is an issue with using USB to drive external network devices directly using RNDIS.
          I never got to the bottom of it. I think it's a driver issue. I solved it by using a USB to Ethernet adapter.

There is only 1 USB port on most of them. That means you can't charge the device if there is an external device attached.

Comment

Working...
          X