Apps in Startup Folder Start Slowly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howdy, David!

I went looking around for RunOnce information. Not once did I find a comment that RunOnce would happen before any other startup apps. I did not see any mention of the speed boost that you describe. But as I mentioned it gave an immediate start to the app I put in it.

Where did you read about it? Or, did you just discover it yourself along the way?

Comment

Howdy, again, David!

So, Gary, as Paul mentioned your app will appear at the same time as the desktop.
      Hibernate and sleep come back more quickly and can be useful in keeping a customer happy for the low wait time. I typically tell my users to leave their PCs on 24-7 so that they have no startup delay at all.

But there are cases where a restart is required, such as when a Windows update is waiting to be installed or when a PC doesn't restore correctly when a Texas power outtage happens! So having a faster restoration of a startup app after reboot will continue to important.

I realize we're not talking end-of-earth stuff here. I'm just trying to not to waste my users' limited, remaining time!

Comment

Gary

...Texas power outtage happens!

What...a power outage in Texas?? No way!!! The next thing you’ll be trying to get us to believe...is that it snows in Texas!! LOL

Click image for larger version

Name:	FB14874F-7EA0-4300-A97F-02EDDDBB6124.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	805388

Comment

Originally posted by Gary
          The entire 9s waiting time was eliminated. Is that what you saw?
          I figured down to 5s at best. I did not see that coming.

Since your 'customers' are still using the Startup folder then all will see an improvement, but some will still have a little wait.

If we all had identical machine configurations Microsoft would have fewer problems with their updates.

Anyway, that is some result with your machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary
            Where did you read about it? Or, did you just discover it yourself along the way?
            I wrote a small app to tell me the time and put it in every startup method I knew of. That research was done on Wndows 98 not long after I joined the forum. Who would have thought that 18 years later the 'pecking order' would be the same. Windows 10 is a very different animal to Windows 98 but, obviously, some things have not changed.

There is another key called RunOnceEx where we can force a deterministic order, but that is a different story. I used it when the entries had to load synchronously. We have to create the key - it does not exist by default. I wrote an app with PB DOS which cleaned our system on the first boot of the day and asked if we wanted to replace the registry. If we did then the system was restarted after the replacement. The RunOnceEx key was now empty, so the clean up was not repeated. The key was repopulated for the next first boot of the day. A thorough test required the registry to be smashed on a shutdown causing Windows to fail at the next boot. Needless to say my app ran before the registry was loaded. Hair-raising stuff! The app was called 'Spruceup for Windows 98'. I didn't sell many.

Comment

Gary, found this (2008): Execution order in post #2.

Comment

There is the order mentioned. I think a Windows task starts the fastest.

But there is another aspect.

Unsigned EXE files start with a delay.

Comment

Here is another list: Fourth post

Scheduled tasks (13) run after the Current User RunOnce key which is well down the list. The Current User keys are loaded after the Local Machine (All user) keys. To avoid being too clever the Local Machine RunOnce key is the fastest.

Comment

Working...
                  X