Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• App To Take Picture and Automatically Send to Specified Email Address

Anyone heard of such an app?

I've seen a few "app wanted" ads posted on the web for this, but haven't found an existing app.

I searched through the Play Store but no luck.

I like the idea - point and click to send an image to a particular person. It would be helpful in remotely troubleshooting a user's PC (getting an image of their screen).

I use TeamViewer for remote viewing, but an app like this would be a very quick way to start the discussion, then going to TeamViewer for more control as necessary.

My PhotComposer program (written in PowerBASIC in 2007) is able to send a postcard to a specific recipient.
    http://www.objreader.com/index.php?topic=353.0

In order to send the postcard doubleclick on the stamp.

You can try the demo version here
    http://www.zapsolution.com/DW/US/photocomposer.html

Here is the function I am using to send the mail

Code:
    ' ========================================================================================
    ' zSendMapiMail
    ' ========================================================================================
    ' szProfileName =  A profile name, limited to 256 characters or less. This is the profile
    '                  to use when logging on. If you pass an empty string, and the flFlags
    '                  parameter is set to %MAPI_LOGON_UI, MAPILogon displays a logon dialog
    '                  box with an empty name field.
    ' szPassword    =  A credential string, limited to 256 characters or less. If the
    '                  messaging system does not require password credentials, or if it
    '                  requires that the user enter them, the strPassword parameter should be
    '                  an empty string. When the user must enter credentials, the flFlags
    '                  parameter must be set to %MAPI_LOGON_UI to allow a logon dialog box to
    '                  be displayed.
    ' szSubject     =  Subject of the email.
    ' szNote        =  Email text.
    ' szAddresses   =  A list of email addresses separated by ;'s Make sure to put in the
    '                  message type preceded by a : if it's not being delivered to an MS Mail
    '                  post office. For example, if you're sending mail out to the internet
    '                  via MS Mail, the mail type is SMTP. You will need to preceed the
    '                  address with SMTP:
    '                  e.g. "SMTP:[email protected];SMTP:[email protected]"
    ' szFiles       =  A list of ; delimited file names (full drive letter, file path and file
    '                  name must be included). If the file doesn't exist (DIR$(FileName) = "")
    '                  then it will be ignored.
    FUNCTION zSendMapiMail ALIAS "zSendMapiMail" ( _
        szProfileName AS ASCIIZ, _
        szPassword AS ASCIIZ, _
        szSubject AS ASCIIZ, _
        szNote AS ASCIIZ, _
        szNames AS ASCIIZ, _
        szAddresses AS ASCIIZ, _
        szFiles AS ASCIIZ _
        ) EXPORT AS DWORD

LOCAL lhSession, dwResult AS DWORD
        LOCAL strSubject, strNote, strNames, strAddresses, strFiles AS STRING

' Logon
        dwResult = MAPILogon(0, szProfileName, szPassword, %MAPI_LOGON_UI, 0, lhSession)
        IF dwResult = %SUCCESS_SUCCESS THEN
           IF lhSession THEN
              strSubject = szSubject
              strNote = szNote
              strNames = szNames
              strAddresses = szAddresses
              strFiles = szFiles
              dwResult = TB_MapiSendMail(lhSession, strSubject, strNote, strNames, strAddresses, strFiles, 1)
              ' Logoff
              MAPILogoff(lhSession, 0, 0, 0)
           END IF
        END IF
        FUNCTION = dwResult
    END FUNCTION
    Patrice Terrier
    www.zapsolution.com
    www.objreader.com
    Addons: GDImage.DLL 32/64-bit (Graphic library), WinLIFT.DLL 32/64-bit (Skin Engine).

Comment

Howdy, Patrice!

Thanks for the response! Sorry, but I didn't clarify that I was looking for a smart phone app. I want the user to point their phone at the PC, then press the app button to capture and send the image to a specified email all in just one press of the button.

Comment

Gary,
        that looks like something you could do in B4X:
        Cross platform RAD development tools | B4X

It's free, it can take pictures, create e-mails and add attachments.

Comment

Howdy, Paul!

You know, I had just thought about B4A this morning. I've never used it before but this might be a good time to give it a try! I didn't realize that B4A was now B4X and could support both Android and MAC. That would be very helpful. My customers are split between the two types of phone.

I wonder how easy it is to put the completed apps on a phone? It must be reading time!

It's such a simple idea. I thought surely someone would have done it by now..

Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Well, pooh!

The B4X iOS version is not free, only the Android version is free. The iOS version has a yearly fee.

I was hoping for a Press A to compile for an Android and Press B to compile for an iPhone.

Even so, it still seems like a great option. I'll definitely give it a try.

Comment

Android program support in Windows 11 might make your day?

Link to send email using Don Dickinson's code (updated a bit for easy use with PbWin.)
              It fills in the blanks from Patrice's showing his function that calls the code.
              Don't need to write OAuth 2.0 code if default browser is setup to support it.
              https://forum.powerbasic.com/forum/u...-don-dickinson

Comment

Howdy, Mike!

Android support would be very cool. But of course they will force .NET into the picture. That will be annoying.

Comment

Howdy, Paul ...

I spent an hour or two playing with B4A. I can't say that the manual is one of my favorites, but looking at a variety of documents I was able to create a shell for the desired app.

A couple of weeks, mostly spent learning the IDE and B4A syntax ought to be enough to get a functional app going. I've not read anything yet on releasing the app to the Play Store. An experienced B4A programmer could do this in just a few hours.

In the picture below is my Android with a simple GUI - Camera, Send and Exit controls, writ large. A Settings option of some kind would be appropriate but for a first pass I'd just hard code the target email address..

B4A has both camera and email libraries, so that ought to be a big help.

Click image for larger version  Name:	pb_2266.jpg Views:	0 Size:	23.7 KB ID:	809499

Cool beans! I can see how something this easy would be very useful in reducing the steps my users would have to take to send me a snapshot of their screen or anything else for that matter. Apps like Zoom are way "better" but require way more interaction than legally blind users might prefer, or might could navigate.

As a thought, I could see where "SEND" would present a short list of contacts at which point touching one of the contacts would then initiate the SEND. Once you have a working app, new features always seem to come out of the woodwork.

Heck, I can see just fine and I might even use something like this to take a picture and send to someone..

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Beene View Post
                    A couple of weeks, mostly spent learning the IDE and B4A syntax ought to be enough to get a functional app going. I've not read anything yet on releasing the app to the Play Store. An experienced B4A programmer could do this in just a few hours.
                    If it's just for your users, you are probably better of "sideloading" the APK onto their phones and forget about the hassles of a PlayStore account.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile...deload-an-apk/

Comment

Howdy, Stuart!
                      Thanks for the link. That approach will certainly let me cover my who have Android phone. I can decide later on whether to use the Play Store.

I'm still surprised that I cannot find an existing, close match to the app I'm describing.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Beene View Post
                        Howdy, Stuart!
                        Thanks for the link. That approach will certainly let me cover my who have Android phone. I can decide later on whether to use the Play Store.

I'm still surprised that I cannot find an existing, close match to the app I'm describing.
                        I'm sure NSO, the Pegasus people have something that can send a camera photo to an address without any user intervention

Comment

It's probably too close to how a phone already does things to make people think your app makes a worthwhile difference.
                          I know you're targeting people with poor eyesight so it may be worthwhile to your users.

On my phone, take a picture, click "preview" to make sure the picture is as required, click "share" and my phone pops up with various share options including the e-mail addresses of the last few people I've e-mailed.
                          Choose the recipient, type an optional title for the e-mail and click send.

Comment

Howdy, Paul!

Yep, that pretty much describes the process here. The screen elements are just too darn small and close together for my people.

I may yet have to write the app to get what I want. Imagine that!

Comment

I may yet have to write the app to get what I want.
                              Well, I couldn't talk myself into going through the learning curve. Instead, I've found two sources willing to write the small app for a price I can afford, including our very own Brian Alvarez!

I'll let you know how it goes!

Comment

Hello Gary, sorry i was busy the whole weekend, but the app is nearly done. I thought it would be useful to add a "Lamp on/off" button in case of having to get "Under the desk" images. Does this make sense?
                                www.pluribasic.com
                                www.patreon.com/pluribasic

Comment

Howdy, Brian!

Yes, that sounds like a useful option. I don't want the app to get too busy but one additional, useful button for the lamp shouldn't be an issue.

Comment

Hello Gary, It is ready. Unfortunately i could not get rid of some extra functionality (Unless i spent a few days writing my own SMTP functions in Java).

The App is able to send the picture to Email, Whatsapp, Facebook or whatever other social network apps that you may have installed. I think eMail functionality requires an account to be set up in your phone too.

Attached Files
                                    www.pluribasic.com
                                    www.patreon.com/pluribasic

Comment

I know I'm retired now and all that, but I never conducted my private business in public fora.

Unless I am missing something, that's what you two are doing.
                                      Michael Mattias
                                      Tal Systems (retired)
                                      Port Washington WI USA
                                      [email protected]
                                      http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

Yep, I fail to see what the last few "one to one communcations" have to do with PB Programming.

Comment

Working...
                                        X