Deadly Code?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deadly Code?

This is really odd. If I comment out the indicated lines, my keyboard will not work correctly - pressing keys gives the wrong result.

I have to power down restart the machine for the keyboard to work again. I tried on a second keyboard with the same result.

Try it at your own risk and if you do, let me know if you have the same result.
    Code:
    'Compilable Example:  (Jose Includes)
    #Compiler PBWin 10
    #Compile Exe
    #Dim All
    %Unicode=1
    #Include "win32api.inc"
    Global hDlg As Dword, hRichEdit As Dword
    %ID_RichEdit = 500

Function PBMain() As Long
       Local style&, buf$
       buf$ =  "This is sample" + $CrLf + "text for the" + $CrLf + "edit control."
       style& = %WS_Child Or %WS_Visible Or %ES_MultiLine Or %WS_VScroll Or %ES_AutoHScroll _
          Or %WS_HScroll Or %ES_AutoVScroll Or %ES_WantReturn Or %ES_NoHideSel Or %WS_TabStop
       Dialog New Pixels, 0, "Test Code",300,300,200,150, %WS_OverlappedWindow To hDlg
       Control Add Button, hDlg, 100,"Push", 30,10,140,20
       LoadLibrary("riched32.dll") : InitCommonControls
       Control Add "RichEdit", hDlg, %ID_RichEdit, buf$,20,40,160,100, style&, %WS_Ex_ClientEdge
       Control Handle hDlg, %ID_RichEdit To hRichEdit
       Dialog Show Modal hDlg Call DlgProc
    End Function

CallBack Function DlgProc() As Long
       If Cb.Msg = %WM_Command And Cb.Ctl = 100 And Cb.CtlMsg = %BN_Clicked Then
          Control Set Focus hDlg, %ID_RichEdit
          keybd_event(%VK_CONTROL, 0, 0, 0)
          keybd_event(%VK_A, 0, 0, 0)                       'remove these and keyboard fails
          keybd_event(%VK_A, 0, %KEYEVENTF_KEYUP, 0)        'remove these and keyboard fails
          keybd_event(%VK_CONTROL, 0, %KEYEVENTF_KEYUP, 0)  'remove these and keyboard fails
       End If
    End Function

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...er-keybd_event

Note This function has been superseded. Use SendInput instead.

That said - without a KEYUP, the keyboard driver thinks that a key is being held down for ever

Comment

Howdy, Stuart!

Yep, but it still works, at least in dozens of apps where I use it. None of my other apps give the keyboard problem.

I just happened to try out the combination above and discovered the keyboard problem. I thought my keyboard died but then a second keyboard had the same problem.

Did you happen to try it and see what happens?

... added ... in the past I looked at SendInput and it seemed unnecessarily complicated to use. I guess I need to look for a simpler introductory example. But regardless, I've never heard of keybd_event having any such problem.

Comment

Howdy, Stuart!

You may be right about the missing keyup but I've tried other keybd_events (not Control) and the missing keyup did not cause a problem. I'll make an example and post it.

It's surprising that the keyboard driver won't at least time out, or something, to prevent the keyboard from working as expected.

Comment

Gary,
          the code behaves as expected here.
          With the lines removed, there is no release of the ctrl key so any subsequent key press results in the equivalent ctrl character.

If I press the A key, I get ctrl-A and that correctly selects all the text in the box.
          If I press the C key, I get ctrl-C and that correctly copies the selected text to the clipboard.

To get out of that state the program needs to see a ctrl key released so try pressing the ctrl key again on the keyboard, which will give a ctrl press and a ctrl release and that release will then allow non-control characters to be typed.

No need to restart the computer, just press the ctrl key.

Comment

Howdy, Paul and Stuart!

Well that is all very straight forward. I was expecting something more "technical" to describe what I saw.

Comment

Working...
            X