This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction

No big introduction to this forum is really required. It's simply a place where the SDK folks can post without being flooded out by the DDT content that's been prevalent in the PBWin forum.

The common theme here will be applications whose windows are created using the CreateWindow(EX) API, as well as discussions on various aspects of using API.

Gary,
    Where should I put my code? No DDT in the examples but very little CreateWindowEx.
    I primarily use resource dialogs or my own in memory template creation.
    I often use CreateWindowEx for the main window and resource dialogs for everything else.

James

Comment

There will still be a single "Source Code" forum. So all full code examples will still go there, but like other forums you can put as much/little code in this forum as you wish.

Comment

I'd have to say this forum is off to a slow start, what with it trying to "go beyond the intrinsic PowerBASIC statements and functions."

I do enjoy helping those who have mastered the fundamentals but want to take that next step.

HOWEVER...

First two replies today: The first in which the user did not understand the "undefined equate" compile-time error message; the second in which the user did not understand the sytax of WHILE/WEND.

MCM
        Michael Mattias
        Tal Systems Inc. (retired)
        Racine WI USA
        [email protected]
        http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

MCM,
          The forum has been online for only a couple of hours, and "slow start" is the most helpful comment you can make? Jeez!

And where did this come from?
          ...go beyond the intrinsic PowerBASIC statements and functions...
          Nothing I've posted in the introduction matches that quote.

Seriously - if you don't want to be helpful, then why bother posting? I don't see the other SDK elders having any trouble setting the example.

Comment

>Nothing I've posted in the introduction matches that quote.
            No. Then again, the introduction ...
            ...a place where the SDK folks can post without being flooded out by the DDT content "...
            ..is just a tad, well, "open-ended. "

Why do you think I wanted a 'mission statement?'

However.. since I posted those comments, there has been at least one help request which does not go to reading the manual... the proper use of GetLastError(), which requires you know something NOT in the PB help file.

So that's some progress.

MCM
            Michael Mattias
            Racine WI USA
            [email protected]

Comment

And MCM,
              ..is just a tad, well, "open-ended. "
              Which is exactly what I intended. That's bad, because why?

If you've got a "mission" you want to suggest then please do. Whining about what someone else has done without offering an alternative is just that - pointless whining.

Comment

Gary,

Just a note on James's request about resource dialogs, they are an integral part of the API system and should be included here as normal SDK code.

Also, compliments on getting this up and going, I have no doubt once it is known that some of the old timers will contribute API based code for members to look at.
                hutch at movsd dot com
                The MASM Forum

www.masm32.com

Comment

There is another case where SDK is a mandatory, this is when you want to write low level DLL.

For example hook/trampolin can be done ONLY from a DLL.

I first selected PB/DLL because it was able to create very small DLL for any win32 language without requiring any extra runtime.

Patrice Terrier
                  www.zapsolution.com
                  www.objreader.com
                  Addons: GDImage.DLL 32/64-bit (Graphic library), WinLIFT.DLL 32/64-bit (Skin Engine).

Comment

There is another case where SDK is a mandatory, this is when you want to write low level DLL.
                    :confused2:

Using PowerBASIC, you can create procedures and package them in DLLs without using a single external call in those procedures.

That is, I don't think using '#COMPILE DLL' qualifies as "SDK-Style Programming."

Setting the hook does, however.

MCM
                    Michael Mattias
                    Racine WI USA
                    [email protected]

Comment

This is nonsense, a DLL is an API defined capacity as a normal part of the OS, PB simplifies DLL creation by making a default LibMain/DllMain if you don't write one yourself but it still must conform to the operating system specification.
                      hutch at movsd dot com
                      The MASM Forum

www.masm32.com

Comment

Gary,

Wouldn't it be more reasonable if the "SDK" forum header be located just below the "Source Code" forum in the "User to user Discussions" section of the Forum.

I based this mostly on the number of viewers logged in to the various sub forums.

I certainly hope the positioning of the "SDK" forum at the top of the "User to user Discussion" section isn't based on someone's personal preference.
                        It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Comment

As with the Help forums VB Conversion forum, new guys get a temporary top billing!

Comment

Working...
                          X