Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Notepad style complete working rich text editor..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notepad style complete working rich text editor..

I posted this demo about 7 years ago, have slightly modernised it and built it with PBWIN10. It will do most of the things you would expect from a plain editor.

1. Will open files in excess of 100 meg.
    2. Bi-directions search and replace.
    3. Go to line number.
    4. Select all.
    5. Full drag and drop between instances.
    6. A single window interface with multiple instance support (new window opens new instance).
    7. Multi-level Undo - Redo.

On the down side, it could do with separate threads for both file load and file save when dealing with very big files. It will not win any beauty contests but its reasonably small and its truly fast.

It is close to pure API code and while its not partitularly consumer friendly, its a reasonable example of writing a small application in API based PB.
    Attached Files
    hutch at movsd dot com
    The MASM Forum

www.masm32.com

8. Unlike Notepad it has no problems with 'nix textfiles delimited only by 0xA
    actually i think later Windows notepad has finally addressed that but not on this XP box

It only took a couple secs to open a 10mb file, Notepad craps its dacks right about there

Nice!
    ps. thought it was gonna be TheGun
    -

Comment

Nah,

The original "TheGun" came from the land of MASM but DEP spoilt its minimum size characteristic, I can get it to build at about 8k but the original was 6k. If you shove this PB example through Jeremy Collake's PEcompact it drops to a bit over 13k which is probably competitive by today's standards for a file that must have a manifest and version control block.
      hutch at movsd dot com
      The MASM Forum

www.masm32.com

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Hutchesson View Post
        Nah,

The original "TheGun" came from the land of MASM but DEP spoilt its minimum size characteristic, I can get it to build at about 8k but the original was 6k. If you shove this PB example through Jeremy Collake's PEcompact it drops to a bit over 13k which is probably competitive by today's standards for a file that must have a manifest and version control block.
        Microsoft's Notepad looks like 189K on my Win7-64 box.
        The world is strange and wonderful.*
        I reserve the right to be horrifically wrong.
        Please maintain a safe following distance.
        *wonderful sold separately.

Comment

For those playing along at home... notepad.exe ...
          Windows 3.11 - 32,736 bytes (v3.10.0.103)
          Windows NT 3.51 - 44,400 bytes (v3.51.1054.1)
          Windows 10 technical preview x64 -
          - \System32\ - 214,016 bytes (v6.4.9841.0)
          - \SysWOW64\ - 206,848 bytes (v6.4.9841.0)

Interesting how much it keeps bloating with every OS release yet without ever adding any functionality ...
          -

Comment

ITRIED TO GET monotext.bas to run
            i tried the exe

Comment

the exe ran

Comment

James,

I think I responded to this in another post but I just had a look at the last touchup on "BlackMono" dated 2018 and it uses the include files from PBWIN 9. The system used in the later PB and Jose's headers is different and will not work with this code. If you have the PBWIN 9 include files, just change the paths in the "makepb.bat" to where you have them located.
                Code:
                : -------------------
                : Set your paths here
                : -------------------
                set bin=\basic\BIN10\
                set include=\basic\include\
                hutch at movsd dot com
                The MASM Forum

www.masm32.com

Comment

Thanks

Comment