Announcement

Collapse

Forum Guidelines

This forum is for finished source code that is working properly. If you have questions about this or any other source code, please post it in one of the Discussion Forums, not here.
See more
See less

Archiving logs created by Proxy+ http proxy server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PBWin/PBCC Archiving logs created by Proxy+ http proxy server

here is my attempt to capture where my users are going on the internet using proxy+(proxyplus), a http proxy server that does some other services as well and it can run as a windows service.
    The version is 3.00 build no 264.

The proxy+ server can archive a copy of the logs created up to 31 periods , you can set the period(interval of days or weeks, or something else).
    It calls this log rollover. The program keeps active logs opened and locked, so you can not access them unless the program is not running and we want it to always be running as a service. If any future version of this program does the same and increases the number of back logs higher that 31, this program will handle it.

So i wrote this program to grab the archived(rolled over) logs and create logs elsewhere on the computer. After retrieving data inside the logs files, i then erase the original archived log file.

There are six log files and this program saves all 6.

I intend this program to be run as a windows service, but this program listing as is will not run as a service, you will have to just remove some remarked lines out.

You can edit the program to save the files in directories of individual days, but i thought that was just too much so i changed it place logs into directories by year and month.

I place some code in the program to speed up the process, where certain files do not exist. I just try to open files and do not view a directory to see what files are there.

It would be nice to read the registry for some information, but i have not ever done that and i am looking into it now. It would be nice to not have this program hard code to where certain information is stored, but it will handle proxy+'s default setup.

I have not tried this program on VISTA yet or even as a service yet, but it should work as a service, that is the next step.

Proxy+ does not really increment the log numbers, it renames the oldest log file, the highest number. So a log file with a lower number is more current than a log file with a higher number.

If the original log file has zero bytes in it(empty), then nothing is saved. That also means because there are 6 log files for the program, these logs are not saved as a set, so to say.

While running this program, it would seem logical there are not going to be no more that 31x6 files in a single directory for one particular month, but this program will handle much much more than that if a user manually decides to rollover the log files to escape detection of where he goes on the internet.

Code:
    proxypluslog.bas
    'pbwin 9.01 complier
    '
    ' this program reads log files from proxy+ (proxyplus) version 3.09 build 264
    ' then saves them else where on the hard drive
    ' the directory  created is "\systemplus" that is hidden in the root directory
    ' a subdirectory in the directory  \systemplus is created called proxyplus where
    ' log files are placed by date
    'ex "c:\systemplus\proxyplus\20091231"
    'files names are incremented to keep from losing log data from the proxyplus
    'after the log files from proxyplus are read and new ones created under the
    '"\systemplus\proxyplus" directory, the original log files are deleted.

'you can set the number of logs to create and the number of days in each period before logs are archieved(rolledover)

'there seems to be a maximum of 31 periods
    '
    'proxyplus keeps data information in the registry
    'there is information in the registry but at this time this program does not read or make changes to the registry

#COMPILE EXE  "ProxyPlusLog.exe"
    #DIM ALL
    #REGISTER NONE
    #INCLUDE "WIN32API.INC"

FUNCTION PBMAIN () AS LONG

DIM pathlogdirectory     AS STRING
     DIM newpathlogdirectory  AS STRING
     DIM todaysdate           AS STRING
     DIM fileexist            AS LONG
     DIM filenametemp         AS STRING
     DIM homedrive            AS STRING
     DIM ProgramFiles         AS STRING
     DIM temp                 AS STRING

DIM I AS LONG
     DIM J AS LONG
     DIM K AS LONG
     DIM L AS LONG
     DIM M AS LONG

DIM proxypluslogdirectory       AS STRING
     DIM proxypluslogfilenamebase(6) AS STRING
     DIM proxypluslogfilenameext     AS STRING
     DIM proxypluslogfilename        AS STRING
     DIM newlogfilename              AS STRING
     DIM fileno1                     AS LONG
     DIM fileno2                     AS LONG
     DIM filecontents                AS STRING

' unremark the next line if you want to run this program as a service.
    'SLEEP 240000  '4 minutes before program starts

' some of these variables are in the registry, but this program does not read the registry

proxypluslogdirectory=  TRIM$("C:\Program Files\ProxyPlus\Logs                                                               ")
        proxypluslogfilenamebase(1)=   TRIM$("AccessLog_                                                                                    ")
        proxypluslogfilenamebase(2)=   TRIM$("ProxyLog_                                                                                    ")
        proxypluslogfilenamebase(3)=   TRIM$("DialLog_                                                                                    ")
        proxypluslogfilenamebase(4)=   TRIM$("MailLog_                                                                                    ")
        proxypluslogfilenamebase(5)=   TRIM$("ErrLog_                                                                                    ")
        proxypluslogfilenamebase(6)=   TRIM$("SecLog_                                                                                    ")
        proxypluslogfilenameext=     TRIM$(".TXT                                                                                          ")

startprocessing:

homedrive=ENVIRON$("HOMEDRIVE")
        ProgramFiles=ENVIRON$("ProgramFiles")

pathlogdirectory=homedrive+"\systemplus"
        MKDIR pathlogdirectory

SETATTR pathlogdirectory, %HIDDEN + %SYSTEM + %NORMAL

pathlogdirectory=pathlogdirectory+"\proxypluslogs"
        MKDIR pathlogdirectory

logitagain:
        todaysdate=DATE$
    '   next line will store all logs in a directory by a specfic year and month
        newpathlogdirectory=pathlogdirectory+"\"+MID$(todaysdate,7,4)+MID$(todaysdate,1,2)
    '   unremarking the next line will store all logs in a directory by a specfic year, month and day
    '    newpathlogdirectory=pathlogdirectory+"\"+MID$(todaysdate,7,4)+MID$(todaysdate,1,2)+MID$(todaysdate,4,2)

MKDIR newpathlogdirectory

' find the file name with the highest number in it
        M = 0&
        L = 0&
        FOR I = 0& TO 99999&
        IF (I MOD 10&)= 0& THEN SLEEP 30&
        IF L = 300& THEN EXIT FOR  ' this stop the program if more than 50 straight log files are not found
                               ' proxyplus seems to limit log files to a maximum of 31 logfiles on a rollover basis
        FOR K = 1& TO 6&
        filenametemp=proxypluslogdirectory+"\"+proxypluslogfilenamebase(k)+TRIM$(STR$(I))+proxypluslogfilenameext
        IF NOT ISFILE(filenametemp)THEN INCR L:ITERATE
        IF ISFILE(filenametemp)THEN M=I:L=0&:ITERATE:ITERATE
        NEXT K
        NEXT I
       IF M = 0& THEN GOTO endprocessing

FOR I = M TO 0&  STEP -1&
        FOR K = 1& TO 6&
        filecontents = ""
        filenametemp = proxypluslogdirectory+"\"+proxypluslogfilenamebase(K)+TRIM$(STR$(I))+proxypluslogfilenameext
        IF NOT ISFILE(filenametemp)THEN ITERATE
         TRY
        fileno1 = FREEFILE
         OPEN filenametemp FOR BINARY ACCESS READ LOCK WRITE AS #fileno1
         CATCH
         CLOSE #fileno1
         EXIT TRY
         FINALLY
           IF LOF(fileno1) = 0& THEN
               CLOSE #fileno1
               KILL filenametemp
               ITERATE
           EXIT TRY
           END IF
                filecontents = ""
         GET$ fileno1, LOF(fileno1),filecontents
         CLOSE #fileno1
         L = 0&
        END TRY

FOR J=1& TO 9999999&
          newlogfilename = newpathlogdirectory+"\"+proxypluslogfilenamebase(K)+TRIM$(STR$(J))+proxypluslogfilenameext

IF ISFILE(newlogfilename)THEN ITERATE

fileno2 = FREEFILE
          TRY
            OPEN newlogfilename FOR BINARY ACCESS READ WRITE LOCK READ WRITE AS #fileno2
          CATCH
            CLOSE #fileno2
            EXIT TRY
          FINALLY
            PUT$ fileno2, filecontents
            CLOSE #fileno2
            KILL filenametemp
            EXIT FOR
          END TRY
        NEXT J

NEXT K

IF (I MOD 10&) = 0& THEN SLEEP 20

NEXT I

endprocessing:
       TEMP = UCASE$(COMMAND$)
       REPLACE " " WITH "" IN TEMP
       IF INSTR(TEMP,"QUIT") THEN
           EXIT FUNCTION
           ELSE
    'unremark the next two lines if running this program as a windows service
    '       SLEEP 60000 'capture the logs files once every every 60 seconds
    '       GOTO startprocessing
       END IF

END FUNCTION
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Paul Purvis; 9 Sep 2009, 09:29 PM.
    p purvis

the current proxypluslog.exe
    this program is not set to run as a service.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Paul Purvis; 10 Sep 2009, 02:04 AM.
    p purvis

Comment

i changed the name of this version of the above to "proxypluslogkeeper"

'this program runs only as a service
      'place the exe in the windows directory
      'to install the program enter "proxypluslogkeeper install" then reboot
      'to remove the program enter "proxypluslogkeeper uninstall" then reboot
      'if you use stop the service with console command "net stop proxyplus log keeper" you cannot
      ' restart the service using the "net start" command, you have to reboot to restart the service
      '

this part of this program that makes it a service came from the forums at this location

http://powerbasic.com/support/pbforu...ead.php?t=3889

i have used this code before to create a service and it is working just great
      even if i cannot stop and start the service with the "net stop" and "net start" commands. yes the service can be stopped with "net stop" but not restarted, a reboot has to restart the service.
      from the task manager this program cannot be stopped which i do like because i do not want users stopping the service.

i used the same code to create the service to the program called logwostm, which you can find in this forum.

The exe can be patched to edit some file naming conventions as i left plenty of space in the original defining of the variables.
      This program still does not access the registry to get values set by the proxy+(proxyplus) server program

If anybody wants to start another thread to discuss this program that is fine with me.

If you are going to change the naming of the program and/or service, pay attention to the following two lines in the source of the program
      Code:
      gascServiceName          = trim$("ProxyPlusLogKeeper Service              ")
      gascServiceDisplayName = trim$("ProxyPlus Log Keeper                       ")
      Code:
      'proxypluslogkeeper.bas
      'pbwin 9.01 complier
      'this program runs only as a service
      'to remove  the program enter "proxypluslogkeeper uninstall" then reboot
      'if you use stop the service with console command "net stop proxyplus log keeper" you cannot
      '         restart the service using the "net start" command, you have to reboot to restart the service
      '

'
      ' a subdirectory in the directory  \systemplus is created called proxyplus where

'you can set the number of logs to create and the number of days in each period before logs are archieved(rolledover)

'
      'proxyplus keeps data sinformation in the registry
      'there is information in the registry but at this time this program does not read or make changes to the registry

#COMPILE EXE  "ProxyPlusLogKeeper.exe"
      #DIM ALL
      #REGISTER NONE
      #INCLUDE "WIN32API.INC"

GLOBAL hWindow AS LONG ' You should set this in your WINMAINX to the handle
      ' of your main window.

FUNCTION winmainx() AS LONG

DIM I AS LONG
       DIM J AS LONG
       DIM K AS LONG
       DIM L AS LONG
       DIM M AS LONG

SLEEP 180000  ' wait 3 minutes before the program starts trying to reading the log files after a bootup or restart

' some of these variables are in the registry, but this program does not read the registry

proxypluslogdirectory=         TRIM$("C:\Program Files\ProxyPlus\Logs                                                               ")
          proxypluslogfilenamebase(1)=   TRIM$("AccessLog_                                                                                    ")
          proxypluslogfilenamebase(2)=   TRIM$("ProxyLog_                                                                                     ")
          proxypluslogfilenamebase(3)=   TRIM$("DialLog_                                                                                      ")
          proxypluslogfilenamebase(4)=   TRIM$("MailLog_                                                                                      ")
          proxypluslogfilenamebase(5)=   TRIM$("ErrLog_                                                                                       ")
          proxypluslogfilenamebase(6)=   TRIM$("SecLog_                                                                                       ")
          proxypluslogfilenameext    =   TRIM$(".TXT                                                                                          ")

startprocessinglogfiles:

'wait 4 minutes if the time is between 2 minutes till midnight and 5 minutes after midnight
          'this gives the proxyplus service time to create new log files that are suppose to be create automatically
          '    around midnight on any given day according to the period setup in proxyplus
          I = TIMER
          IF I > 86280 OR I < 300 THEN SLEEP 240000:GOTO startprocessinglogfiles

MKDIR pathlogdirectory

MKDIR pathlogdirectory

logitagain:
          todaysdate=DATE$
          newpathlogdirectory=pathlogdirectory+"\"+MID$(todaysdate,7,4)+MID$(todaysdate,1,2)
      '   unremarking the next line will store all logs in a directory by a specfic year, month and day
      '    newpathlogdirectory=pathlogdirectory+"\"+MID$(todaysdate,7,4)+MID$(todaysdate,1,2)+MID$(todaysdate,4,2)

' find the file name with the highest number in it, this will be the oldest log file
          M = 0&
          L = 0&
          FOR I = 0& TO 99999&
          IF L = 300& THEN EXIT FOR  ' this stop the program if more than 50 straight log files are not found
                                 ' proxyplus seems to limit log files to a maximum of 31 logfiles on a rollover basis
          FOR K = 1& TO 6&
          filenametemp=proxypluslogdirectory+"\"+proxypluslogfilenamebase(k)+TRIM$(STR$(I))+proxypluslogfilenameext
          NEXT K
          NEXT I

FOR I = M TO 0&  STEP -1&
          FOR K = 1& TO 6&
          filecontents = ""
          filenametemp = proxypluslogdirectory+"\"+proxypluslogfilenamebase(K)+TRIM$(STR$(I))+proxypluslogfilenameext
           TRY
          fileno1 = FREEFILE
           CATCH
           CLOSE #fileno1
           EXIT TRY
           FINALLY
                 CLOSE #fileno1
                 KILL filenametemp
                 ITERATE
             EXIT TRY
             END IF
                  filecontents = ""
           CLOSE #fileno1
           L = 0&
          END TRY

FOR J=1& TO 9999999&
            newlogfilename = newpathlogdirectory+"\"+proxypluslogfilenamebase(K)+TRIM$(STR$(J))+proxypluslogfilenameext

fileno2 = FREEFILE
            TRY
            CATCH
              CLOSE #fileno2
              EXIT TRY
            FINALLY
              CLOSE #fileno2
              KILL filenametemp
              EXIT FOR
            END TRY
          NEXT J

NEXT K

NEXT I

endprocessing:
          SLEEP 60000 'wait 60 seconds before scanning for new log files
          GOTO startprocessinglogfiles

END FUNCTION

' ---------------------
      ' CONSTANT DECLARATIONS
      ' ---------------------
      %EVENTLOG_AUDIT_FAILURE = 16
      %EVENTLOG_AUDIT_SUCCESS = 8
      %EVENTLOG_ERROR_TYPE = 1
      %EVENTLOG_INFORMATION_TYPE = 4
      %EVENTLOG_SUCCESS = 0
      %EVENTLOG_WARNING_TYPE = 2

' This constant is used to set logging status.
      %EVENTLOG_LEVEL = %EVENTLOG_AUDIT_FAILURE + %EVENTLOG_AUDIT_SUCCESS + %EVENTLOG_ERROR_TYPE + _
      %EVENTLOG_INFORMATION_TYPE + %EVENTLOG_SUCCESS + %EVENTLOG_WARNING_TYPE
      %SERVICE_WIN32_OWN_PROCESS = &H10&
      %SERVICE_WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS = &H20&
      %SERVICE_WIN32 = %SERVICE_WIN32_OWN_PROCESS + %SERVICE_WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
      %SERVICE_DEMAND_START = &H3&
      %SERVICE_ERROR_NORMAL = &H1&
      %WAIT_OBJECT_0 = 0&

' -------------------------
      ' FUNCTION/SUB DECLARATIONS
      DECLARE FUNCTION Install() AS LONG
      DECLARE FUNCTION InitService() AS LONG
      DECLARE FUNCTION Uninstall() AS LONG
      DECLARE FUNCTION WinErrorMessage(BYVAL ErrNumber AS LONG) AS STRING
      DECLARE FUNCTION SendStatus(BYVAL CurrentStatus AS DWORD, BYVAL ExitCode AS DWORD, ServiceSpecificExitCode AS LONG, BYVAL Checkpoint AS DWORD, BYVAL WaitHint AS DWORD) AS LONG
      DECLARE FUNCTION ServiceThread(ID AS LONG) AS LONG
      DECLARE SUB Handler(BYVAL ControlValue AS DWORD)
      DECLARE SUB LogNTEvent(Message AS STRING, LogCode AS LONG)
      DECLARE SUB ServiceMain(BYVAL dwArgs AS DWORD, BYVAL lpszArgv AS DWORD)
      DECLARE SUB Terminate(ErrCode AS DWORD)
      DECLARE SUB StopService()
      DECLARE SUB PauseService()
      DECLARE SUB ResumeService()

' ----------------
      ' GLOBAL VARIABLES
      ' ----------------
      GLOBAL gascServiceName AS ASCIIZ * 8
      GLOBAL gascServiceDisplayName AS ASCIIZ * 256
      GLOBAL gdwdhStatus AS DWORD
      GLOBAL gdwdServiceState AS DWORD
      GLOBAL gdwdServiceStatus AS DWORD
      GLOBAL glnghInstance AS LONG
      GLOBAL glnghPrvInst AS LONG
      GLOBAL glnghTerminateEvent AS LONG
      GLOBAL glnghServiceThread AS LONG
      GLOBAL glngThreadResult AS LONG
      GLOBAL glngRunningService AS LONG
      GLOBAL glngPauseService AS LONG
      GLOBAL glngCmdShow AS LONG
      GLOBAL ptrCmdLine AS ASCIIZ PTR

' FUNCTION: WinMain
      FUNCTION WINMAIN(BYVAL hCurInst AS LONG, BYVAL hPrvInst AS LONG, BYVAL CmdLine AS ASCIIZ PTR, BYVAL CmdShow AS LONG) EXPORT AS LONG
      'FUNCTION PBMAIN () AS LONG

DIM Result AS LONG
      DIM CmdParm AS STRING
      DIM udtSTE AS SERVICE_TABLE_ENTRY

' Set the service name and display name here.
      gascServiceName          = trim$("ProxyPlusLogKeeper Service              ")
      gascServiceDisplayName = trim$("ProxyPlus Log Keeper                       ")
      glngHInstance = hCurInst
      glnghPrvInst = hPrvInst
      glngCmdShow = CmdShow
      ptrCmdLine = CmdLine

' Get the Command Line parms
      CmdParm = UCASE$(EXTRACT$(@CmdLine, ANY " ,." + CHR$(9)))
      ' Get rid of any seperators
      CmdParm = REMOVE$(CmdParm, ANY "-\/")

' If the exe was executed with the Install parm then we just install and quit
      IF CmdParm = "INSTALL" THEN
      ' Install the service.
      Result = Install()
      IF ISFALSE Result THEN
      MSGBOX "An error occured while trying to install this service
      END IF
      ' If the exe was executed with the UnInstall parm then we just uninstall and quit
      ELSEIF CmdParm = "UNINSTALL" THEN
      ' Uninstall the service.
      Result = Uninstall()
      IF ISFALSE Result THEN
      MSGBOX "An error occured while trying to uninstall this service
      END IF

' No parms were given that we want so start up as service
      ' This should only happen when the service control manager starts us
      ELSE

udtSTE.lpServiceName = VARPTR(gascServiceName)
      udtSTE.lpServiceProc = CODEPTR(ServiceMain)

Result = StartServiceCtrlDispatcher(udtSTE)

IF Result = 0 THEN
      ExitProcess GetLastError()
      END IF

END IF

FUNCTION = 0

END FUNCTION

' Install the service into windows
      FUNCTION Install() AS LONG
      DIM dwdRet AS DWORD
      DIM lngDQEnd AS LONG
      DIM lngDQStart AS LONG
      DIM lngHSCManager AS LONG
      DIM lngHService AS LONG
      DIM ascEXE AS ASCIIZ * %MAX_PATH

ON ERROR GOTO Error_Install

' Assume a failure for now.
      FUNCTION = %FALSE

lngHSCManager = OpenSCManager(BYVAL %NULL, BYVAL %NULL, %SC_MANAGER_CREATE_SERVICE)

IF lngHSCManager <> %NULL THEN
      ' OK, we have a handle to the SCM.
      ' Get the full EXE file path.
      dwdRet = GetModuleFileName(glngHInstance, ascEXE, %MAX_PATH)
      IF dwdRet <> 0 THEN
      ' Install the service.
      lngHService = CreateService(lngHSCManager, gascServiceName, gascServiceDisplayName, _
      %SERVICE_ALL_ACCESS, %SERVICE_WIN32_OWN_PROCESS, _
      %SERVICE_AUTO_START, %SERVICE_ERROR_NORMAL, _
      ascEXE, BYVAL %NULL, BYVAL %NULL, _
      BYVAL %NULL, BYVAL %NULL, BYVAL %NULL)
      ' Close any service handles.
      IF lngHService <> %NULL THEN
      ' Success!
      FUNCTION = %TRUE
      CloseServiceHandle lngHService
      END IF
      CloseServiceHandle lngHSCManager
      END IF
      END IF

FUNCTION = %TRUE

EXIT FUNCTION

Error_Install:

FUNCTION = -1& * ERR

ON ERROR RESUME NEXT

CALL CloseServiceHandle(lngHService)
      END IF

CALL CloseServiceHandle(lngHSCManager)
      END IF

END FUNCTION

' Unistall the service
      FUNCTION Uninstall() AS LONG
      DIM lngHService AS LONG

ON ERROR GOTO Error_Uninstall

FUNCTION = %FALSE

lngHSCManager = OpenSCManager(BYVAL %NULL, BYVAL %NULL, %SC_MANAGER_CREATE_SERVICE)

' Now open our service.
      lngHService = OpenService(lngHSCManager, gascServiceName, %SERVICE_ALL_ACCESS)
      ' Delete the service.
      IF DeleteService(lngHService) <> %NULL THEN
      ' Success!
      FUNCTION = %TRUE
      END IF
      END IF
      END IF

EXIT FUNCTION

Error_Uninstall:

FUNCTION = -1& * ERR

ON ERROR RESUME NEXT

END IF

END IF

END FUNCTION

' Start up the service
      FUNCTION InitService() AS LONG
      DIM lngRet AS LONG
      DIM ID AS LONG
      DIM lpThreadAttributes AS SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES

' Start the main thread for this service
      glnghServiceThread = CreateThread(lpThreadAttributes, 0, CODEPTR(ServiceThread), 0, 0, ID)

' Did the thread start OK
      IF glnghServiceThread = 0 THEN
      FUNCTION = %FALSE
      EXIT FUNCTION
      ELSE
      ' Set the global to running
      glngRunningService = %TRUE

FUNCTION = %TRUE
      EXIT FUNCTION
      END IF

END FUNCTION

SUB PauseService()

' Set the global indicating that we are not paused
      glngPauseService = %TRUE

' Let er rip
      SuspendThread glnghServiceThread

END SUB

SUB ResumeService()

glngPauseService = %FALSE

' Let er rip
      ResumeThread glnghServiceThread

END SUB

SUB StopService()

' Set the global flag indicating that the service is not running
      glngRunningService = %FALSE

' Set the event so the service will stop
      SetEvent glnghTerminateEvent

END SUB

FUNCTION SendStatus(BYVAL CurrentStatus AS DWORD, BYVAL ExitCode AS DWORD, ServiceSpecificExitCode AS LONG, BYVAL Checkpoint AS DWORD, BYVAL WaitHint AS DWORD) AS LONG
      DIM udtSS AS SERVICE_STATUS

' Reset the global service status value.
      gdwdServiceStatus = CurrentStatus

' Setup the UDT.
      udtSS.dwServiceType = %SERVICE_WIN32_OWN_PROCESS
      udtSS.dwCurrentState = CurrentStatus

' If we are the process of starting, then don't accept control events
      IF CurrentStatus = %SERVICE_START_PENDING THEN
      udtSS.dwControlsAccepted = 0
      ELSE
      ' Take what was given
      udtSS.dwControlsAccepted = %SERVICE_ACCEPT_STOP + %SERVICE_ACCEPT_PAUSE_CONTINUE + %SERVICE_ACCEPT_SHUTDOWN
      END IF

' If a specific ServiceSpecificExitCode is defined, setup the Win32 exit code properly
      IF ServiceSpecificExitCode = 0 THEN
      udtSS.dwWin32ExitCode = ExitCode
      ELSE
      udtSS.dwWin32ExitCode = %ERROR_SERVICE_SPECIFIC_ERROR
      END IF

' Specific Exit Code
      udtSS.dwServiceSpecificExitCode = ServiceSpecificExitCode

udtSS.dwCheckPoint = Checkpoint
      udtSS.dwWaitHint = WaitHint

IF SetServiceStatus(gdwdHStatus, udtSS) = 0 THEN
      ' Something went wrong so stop the service
      StopService
      FUNCTION = %FALSE
      ELSE
      FUNCTION = %TRUE
      END IF

END FUNCTION

SUB ServiceMain(BYVAL dwArgs AS DWORD, BYVAL lpszArgv AS DWORD)
      LOCAL Result AS LONG
      LOCAL lpEventAttributes AS SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES

' Register with the SCM
      gdwdHStatus = RegisterServiceCtrlHandler(gascServiceName, CODEPTR(Handler))
      ' Did it work
      IF gdwdHStatus = 0 THEN
      ' No, so terminate
      Terminate GetLastError()
      EXIT SUB
      END IF

' Service has been registered and startup is pending
      IF ISFALSE SendStatus(%SERVICE_START_PENDING, %NO_ERROR, 0, 1, 5000) THEN
      Terminate GetLastError()
      EXIT SUB
      END IF

' Create the termination event
      glnghTerminateEvent = CreateEvent(lpEventAttributes, %TRUE, %FALSE, "")
      IF glnghTerminateEvent = 0 THEN
      Terminate GetLastError()
      EXIT SUB
      END IF

' Service startup is still pending
      IF ISFALSE SendStatus(%SERVICE_START_PENDING, %NO_ERROR, 0, 2, 1000) THEN
      Terminate GetLastError()
      EXIT SUB
      END IF

' Start the service
      Result = InitService()
      IF ISFALSE Result THEN
      ' Oops
      Terminate GetLastError()
      EXIT SUB
      END IF

' Service is now running
      IF ISFALSE SendStatus(%SERVICE_RUNNING, %NO_ERROR, 0, 0, 0) THEN
      Terminate GetLastError()
      EXIT SUB
      END IF

' Wait for the signal to end
      WaitForSingleObject glnghTerminateEvent, %INFINITE

Terminate 0

EXIT SUB

END SUB

SUB Terminate(ErrCode AS DWORD)

' If the Terminate Event has already been created then destroy it
      IF glnghTerminateEvent <> 0 THEN
      CloseHandle glnghTerminateEvent
      END IF

IF gdwdHStatus <> 0 THEN
      ' Send a message to the SCM and tell them that we are stopping
      SendStatus %SERVICE_STOPPED, ErrCode, 0&, 0&, 0&
      END IF

' If the thread has started, then kill it
      IF glnghServiceThread <> 0 THEN
      ' Not normally here in a service
      ' However, this program was written as an executable first and converted into a service
      ' There is a global hWindow that is set in the WINMAINX when we start
      ' We need to destroy the window so the WINMAINX will come back to us
      ' Is it a valid window
      IF IsWindow(hWindow) THEN
      ' Yes so destroy it
      DestroyWindow hWindow
      ' This will cause the Message Loop in your WINMAINX to exit and return
      END IF

' Close the thread
      CloseHandle glnghServiceThread
      END IF

END SUB

SUB Handler(BYVAL ControlValue AS DWORD)
      ' This procedure (by its' name) handles all service requests.
      LOCAL Result AS LONG

ON ERROR RESUME NEXT

' There is no Start option because the ServiceMain takes care of starting the service
      SELECT CASE ControlValue
      CASE %SERVICE_CONTROL_STOP
      ' Set the global Status
      gdwdServiceState = %SERVICE_STOP_PENDING

' Tell the SCM that we are stopping
      SendStatus %SERVICE_STOP_PENDING, %NO_ERROR, 0&, 1, 5000

' Stop the service
      StopService
      CASE %SERVICE_CONTROL_PAUSE
      ' Are we running and not paused
      IF (ISTRUE glngRunningService) AND (ISFALSE glngPauseService) THEN
      ' Tell the SCM that we are pausing
      SendStatus %SERVICE_PAUSE_PENDING, %NO_ERROR, 0, 1, 1000

' Pause it
      PauseService

' Set the current state
      gdwdServiceState = %SERVICE_PAUSED
      END IF
      CASE %SERVICE_CONTROL_CONTINUE
      ' Are we running and paused
      IF (ISTRUE glngRunningService) AND (ISTRUE glngPauseService) THEN
      ' Tell the SCM that we are un pausing
      SendStatus %SERVICE_CONTINUE_PENDING, %NO_ERROR, 0, 1, 1000

' Resume the service
      ResumeService

' Set the current state
      gdwdServiceState = %SERVICE_RUNNING
      END IF
      CASE %SERVICE_CONTROL_INTERROGATE
      ' Don't need to do anything
      ' We will send the current status below
      CASE %SERVICE_CONTROL_SHUTDOWN
      ' We don't do anything with a shutdown
      EXIT SUB
      END SELECT

' Tell the SCM the new status
      SendStatus gdwdServiceState, %NO_ERROR, 0, 0, 0

END SUB

FUNCTION ServiceThread(ID AS LONG) EXPORT AS LONG
      LOCAL Result AS LONG
      LOCAL Msg AS tagMsg

' Run until we are killed
      Result = WINMAINX()
      ' I had written a program and compiled it as an exe
      ' To make it a service, I just renamed the WINMAIN to WINMAINX and then
      ' call it like you see above

END FUNCTION
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Paul Purvis; 10 Sep 2009, 04:40 AM.
      p purvis

Comment

I am hoping this is my final copy of the proxyplus log keeper.
        this program runs as a service "program install" and "program uninstall"
        I do not like long names for my programs so i renamed this program and did some corrections and adjustments.
        Because the log files keep by proxyplus are readable in shared mode as i found out. This program now reads the current open log file and creates a log file in the archieve section of "*_0.TXT".

The program waits 4 minutes after bootup before any archiving takes place and now loops to get files every 2 minutes rather that 1 one minute because the current log file might get to be large.

Proxyplus does not rotate the files upon bootup but only by two methods. Automatic at midnight only or manually through a web menu interface.
        This becomes a problem for me because i wanted the proxyplus program to run on every computer and it basically serves itself. I wanted a log of internet activity. But laptops and other machines maybe off during the night, it is not going to automatically roll over the log files. The only course maybe to stop the proxyplus service, roll the files over using another program, then start the proxy service program back up.

A change in the program is also now to save the file's names in upper case, because i have a program now that transfer the files by ftp to a ftp server.
        more on that after listing the program.

this is probably going to be the last edition of this program.

Code:
        'proxypluslogkeeper.bas
        'pbwin 9.01 complier
        'this program only runs as a service
        'to remove  the program enter "proxypluslogkeeper uninstall" then reboot
        '         restart the service using the "net start" command, you have to reboot to restart the service
        '

'

'
        'proxyplus keeps data sinformation in the registry

#COMPILE EXE  "pplogkpr.exe"
        #DIM ALL
        #REGISTER NONE
        #INCLUDE "WIN32API.INC"

GLOBAL hWindow AS LONG ' You should set this in your WINMAINX to the handle
        ' of your main window.

FUNCTION winmainx() AS LONG

DIM I AS LONG
         DIM J AS LONG
         DIM K AS LONG
         DIM L AS LONG
         DIM M AS LONG

SLEEP 240000  ' wait 4 minutes before the program starts trying to reading the log files after a bootup or restart

proxypluslogdirectory=         TRIM$("C:\Program Files\ProxyPlus\Logs                                                               ")
            proxypluslogfilenamebase(1)=   TRIM$("AccessLog                                                                                    ")
            proxypluslogfilenamebase(2)=   TRIM$("ProxyLog                                                                                     ")
            proxypluslogfilenamebase(3)=   TRIM$("DialLog                                                                                      ")
            proxypluslogfilenamebase(4)=   TRIM$("MailLog                                                                                      ")
            proxypluslogfilenamebase(5)=   TRIM$("ErrLog                                                                                       ")
            proxypluslogfilenamebase(6)=   TRIM$("SecLog                                                                                       ")
            proxypluslogfilenameext    =   TRIM$(".TXT                                                                                          ")

startprocessinglogfiles:

'wait 4 minutes if the time is between 2 minutes till midnight and 5 minutes after midnight
            'this gives the proxyplus service time to create new log files that are suppose to be create automatically
            '    around midnight on any given day according to the period setup in proxyplus
            I = TIMER
            IF I > 86280 OR I < 300 THEN SLEEP 240000:GOTO startprocessinglogfiles

MKDIR pathlogdirectory

MKDIR pathlogdirectory

logitagain:
            todaysdate=DATE$

FOR K = 1& TO 6&
            filecontents = ""
            filenametemp = proxypluslogdirectory+"\"+proxypluslogfilenamebase(K)+proxypluslogfilenameext
            filenametemp=UCASE$(filenametemp)
             TRY
            fileno1 = FREEFILE
             OPEN filenametemp FOR BINARY ACCESS READ  LOCK SHARED AS #fileno1
             CATCH
             CLOSE #fileno1
             EXIT TRY
             FINALLY
                   CLOSE #fileno1
               EXIT TRY
              END IF
             CLOSE #fileno1
             L = 0&
            END TRY

filenametemp = newpathlogdirectory+"\"+proxypluslogfilenamebase(K)+"_0"+proxypluslogfilenameext
            KILL filenametemp
            TRY
             fileno1 = FREEFILE
             OPEN filenametemp FOR BINARY ACCESS READ WRITE  LOCK WRITE AS #fileno1
             CATCH
             CLOSE #fileno1
             EXIT TRY
             FINALLY
             PUT$ fileno1, filecontents
             CLOSE #fileno1
            END TRY
          NEXT k

' find the file name with the highest number in it, this will be the oldest log file
            M = 0&
            L = 0&
            FOR I = 0& TO 99999&
            FOR K = 1& TO 6&
            filenametemp=proxypluslogdirectory+"\"+proxypluslogfilenamebase(k)+"_"+TRIM$(STR$(I))+proxypluslogfilenameext
            NEXT K
            NEXT I

FOR I = M TO 1&  STEP -1&
            FOR K = 1& TO 6&
            filecontents = ""
            filenametemp = proxypluslogdirectory+"\"+proxypluslogfilenamebase(K)+"_"+TRIM$(STR$(I))+proxypluslogfilenameext
             TRY
            fileno1 = FREEFILE
             CATCH
             CLOSE #fileno1
             EXIT TRY
             FINALLY
                   CLOSE #fileno1
                   KILL filenametemp
                   ITERATE
               EXIT TRY
               END IF
                    filecontents = ""
             CLOSE #fileno1
             L = 0&
            END TRY

FOR J=1& TO 9999999&
              newlogfilename = newpathlogdirectory+"\"+proxypluslogfilenamebase(K)+"_"+TRIM$(STR$(J))+proxypluslogfilenameext
              newlogfilename=UCASE$(newlogfilename)

fileno2 = FREEFILE
              TRY
              CATCH
                CLOSE #fileno2
                EXIT TRY
              FINALLY
                CLOSE #fileno2
                KILL filenametemp
                EXIT FOR
              END TRY
            NEXT J

NEXT K

NEXT I

endprocessing:
            SLEEP 120000 'wait 120 seconds before scanning for new log files
            GOTO startprocessinglogfiles

END FUNCTION

' ---------------------
        ' CONSTANT DECLARATIONS
        ' ---------------------
        %EVENTLOG_AUDIT_FAILURE = 16
        %EVENTLOG_AUDIT_SUCCESS = 8
        %EVENTLOG_ERROR_TYPE = 1
        %EVENTLOG_INFORMATION_TYPE = 4
        %EVENTLOG_SUCCESS = 0
        %EVENTLOG_WARNING_TYPE = 2

' This constant is used to set logging status.
        %EVENTLOG_LEVEL = %EVENTLOG_AUDIT_FAILURE + %EVENTLOG_AUDIT_SUCCESS + %EVENTLOG_ERROR_TYPE + _
        %EVENTLOG_INFORMATION_TYPE + %EVENTLOG_SUCCESS + %EVENTLOG_WARNING_TYPE
        %SERVICE_WIN32_OWN_PROCESS = &H10&
        %SERVICE_WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS = &H20&
        %SERVICE_WIN32 = %SERVICE_WIN32_OWN_PROCESS + %SERVICE_WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
        %SERVICE_DEMAND_START = &H3&
        %SERVICE_ERROR_NORMAL = &H1&
        %WAIT_OBJECT_0 = 0&

' FUNCTION/SUB DECLARATIONS
        DECLARE FUNCTION Install() AS LONG
        DECLARE FUNCTION InitService() AS LONG
        DECLARE FUNCTION Uninstall() AS LONG
        DECLARE FUNCTION WinErrorMessage(BYVAL ErrNumber AS LONG) AS STRING
        DECLARE FUNCTION SendStatus(BYVAL CurrentStatus AS DWORD, BYVAL ExitCode AS DWORD, ServiceSpecificExitCode AS LONG, BYVAL Checkpoint AS DWORD, BYVAL WaitHint AS DWORD) AS LONG
        DECLARE FUNCTION ServiceThread(ID AS LONG) AS LONG
        DECLARE SUB Handler(BYVAL ControlValue AS DWORD)
        DECLARE SUB LogNTEvent(Message AS STRING, LogCode AS LONG)
        DECLARE SUB ServiceMain(BYVAL dwArgs AS DWORD, BYVAL lpszArgv AS DWORD)
        DECLARE SUB Terminate(ErrCode AS DWORD)
        DECLARE SUB StopService()
        DECLARE SUB PauseService()
        DECLARE SUB ResumeService()

' ----------------
        ' GLOBAL VARIABLES
        ' ----------------
        GLOBAL gascServiceName AS ASCIIZ * 8
        GLOBAL gascServiceDisplayName AS ASCIIZ * 256
        GLOBAL gdwdhStatus AS DWORD
        GLOBAL gdwdServiceState AS DWORD
        GLOBAL gdwdServiceStatus AS DWORD
        GLOBAL glnghInstance AS LONG
        GLOBAL glnghPrvInst AS LONG
        GLOBAL glnghTerminateEvent AS LONG
        GLOBAL glnghServiceThread AS LONG
        GLOBAL glngThreadResult AS LONG
        GLOBAL glngRunningService AS LONG
        GLOBAL glngPauseService AS LONG
        GLOBAL glngCmdShow AS LONG
        GLOBAL ptrCmdLine AS ASCIIZ PTR

' FUNCTION: WinMain
        FUNCTION WINMAIN(BYVAL hCurInst AS LONG, BYVAL hPrvInst AS LONG, BYVAL CmdLine AS ASCIIZ PTR, BYVAL CmdShow AS LONG) EXPORT AS LONG
        'FUNCTION PBMAIN () AS LONG

DIM Result AS LONG
        DIM CmdParm AS STRING

' Set the service name and display name here.
        gascServiceName        = TRIM$("ProxyPlusLogKeeperService")
        gascServiceDisplayName = TRIM$("ProxyPlus Log Keeper")
        glngHInstance = hCurInst
        glnghPrvInst = hPrvInst
        glngCmdShow = CmdShow
        ptrCmdLine = CmdLine

' Get the Command Line parms
        CmdParm = UCASE$(EXTRACT$(@CmdLine, ANY " ,." + CHR$(9)))
        ' Get rid of any seperators
        CmdParm = REMOVE$(CmdParm, ANY "-\/")

' If the exe was executed with the Install parm then we just install and quit
        IF CmdParm = "INSTALL" THEN
        ' Install the service.
        Result = Install()
        IF ISFALSE Result THEN
        MSGBOX "An error occured while trying to install this service
        END IF
        ' If the exe was executed with the UnInstall parm then we just uninstall and quit
        ELSEIF CmdParm = "UNINSTALL" THEN
        ' Uninstall the service.
        Result = Uninstall()
        IF ISFALSE Result THEN
        MSGBOX "An error occured while trying to uninstall this service
        END IF

' No parms were given that we want so start up as service
        ' This should only happen when the service control manager starts us
        ELSE

udtSTE.lpServiceName = VARPTR(gascServiceName)
        udtSTE.lpServiceProc = CODEPTR(ServiceMain)

Result = StartServiceCtrlDispatcher(udtSTE)

IF Result = 0 THEN
        ExitProcess GetLastError()
        END IF

END IF

FUNCTION = 0

END FUNCTION

' Install the service into windows
        FUNCTION Install() AS LONG
        DIM dwdRet AS DWORD
        DIM lngDQEnd AS LONG
        DIM lngDQStart AS LONG
        DIM lngHService AS LONG
        DIM ascEXE AS ASCIIZ * %MAX_PATH

ON ERROR GOTO Error_Install

FUNCTION = %FALSE

' Get the full EXE file path.
        dwdRet = GetModuleFileName(glngHInstance, ascEXE, %MAX_PATH)
        IF dwdRet <> 0 THEN
        ' Install the service.
        lngHService = CreateService(lngHSCManager, gascServiceName, gascServiceDisplayName, _
        %SERVICE_ALL_ACCESS, %SERVICE_WIN32_OWN_PROCESS, _
        %SERVICE_AUTO_START, %SERVICE_ERROR_NORMAL, _
        ascEXE, BYVAL %NULL, BYVAL %NULL, _
        BYVAL %NULL, BYVAL %NULL, BYVAL %NULL)
        ' Success!
        FUNCTION = %TRUE
        END IF
        END IF
        END IF

FUNCTION = %TRUE

EXIT FUNCTION

Error_Install:

FUNCTION = -1& * ERR

ON ERROR RESUME NEXT

CALL CloseServiceHandle(lngHService)
        END IF

CALL CloseServiceHandle(lngHSCManager)
        END IF

END FUNCTION

' Unistall the service
        FUNCTION Uninstall() AS LONG
        DIM lngHService AS LONG

ON ERROR GOTO Error_Uninstall

FUNCTION = %FALSE

' Now open our service.
        lngHService = OpenService(lngHSCManager, gascServiceName, %SERVICE_ALL_ACCESS)
        ' Delete the service.
        IF DeleteService(lngHService) <> %NULL THEN
        ' Success!
        FUNCTION = %TRUE
        END IF
        END IF
        END IF

EXIT FUNCTION

Error_Uninstall:

FUNCTION = -1& * ERR

ON ERROR RESUME NEXT

END IF

END IF

END FUNCTION

' Start up the service
        FUNCTION InitService() AS LONG
        DIM lngRet AS LONG
        DIM ID AS LONG
        DIM lpThreadAttributes AS SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES

' Start the main thread for this service
        glnghServiceThread = CreateThread(lpThreadAttributes, 0, CODEPTR(ServiceThread), 0, 0, ID)

' Did the thread start OK
        IF glnghServiceThread = 0 THEN
        FUNCTION = %FALSE
        EXIT FUNCTION
        ELSE
        ' Set the global to running
        glngRunningService = %TRUE

FUNCTION = %TRUE
        EXIT FUNCTION
        END IF

END FUNCTION

SUB PauseService()

glngPauseService = %TRUE

' Let er rip
        SuspendThread glnghServiceThread

END SUB

SUB ResumeService()

glngPauseService = %FALSE

' Let er rip
        ResumeThread glnghServiceThread

END SUB

SUB StopService()

' Set the global flag indicating that the service is not running
        glngRunningService = %FALSE

' Set the event so the service will stop
        SetEvent glnghTerminateEvent

END SUB

FUNCTION SendStatus(BYVAL CurrentStatus AS DWORD, BYVAL ExitCode AS DWORD, ServiceSpecificExitCode AS LONG, BYVAL Checkpoint AS DWORD, BYVAL WaitHint AS DWORD) AS LONG
        DIM udtSS AS SERVICE_STATUS

' Reset the global service status value.
        gdwdServiceStatus = CurrentStatus

' Setup the UDT.
        udtSS.dwServiceType = %SERVICE_WIN32_OWN_PROCESS
        udtSS.dwCurrentState = CurrentStatus

' If we are the process of starting, then don't accept control events
        IF CurrentStatus = %SERVICE_START_PENDING THEN
        udtSS.dwControlsAccepted = 0
        ELSE
        ' Take what was given
        udtSS.dwControlsAccepted = %SERVICE_ACCEPT_STOP + %SERVICE_ACCEPT_PAUSE_CONTINUE + %SERVICE_ACCEPT_SHUTDOWN
        END IF

' If a specific ServiceSpecificExitCode is defined, setup the Win32 exit code properly
        IF ServiceSpecificExitCode = 0 THEN
        udtSS.dwWin32ExitCode = ExitCode
        ELSE
        udtSS.dwWin32ExitCode = %ERROR_SERVICE_SPECIFIC_ERROR
        END IF

' Specific Exit Code
        udtSS.dwServiceSpecificExitCode = ServiceSpecificExitCode

udtSS.dwCheckPoint = Checkpoint
        udtSS.dwWaitHint = WaitHint

IF SetServiceStatus(gdwdHStatus, udtSS) = 0 THEN
        ' Something went wrong so stop the service
        StopService
        FUNCTION = %FALSE
        ELSE
        FUNCTION = %TRUE
        END IF

END FUNCTION

SUB ServiceMain(BYVAL dwArgs AS DWORD, BYVAL lpszArgv AS DWORD)
        LOCAL Result AS LONG
        LOCAL lpEventAttributes AS SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES

' Register with the SCM
        gdwdHStatus = RegisterServiceCtrlHandler(gascServiceName, CODEPTR(Handler))
        ' Did it work
        IF gdwdHStatus = 0 THEN
        ' No, so terminate
        Terminate GetLastError()
        EXIT SUB
        END IF

' Service has been registered and startup is pending
        IF ISFALSE SendStatus(%SERVICE_START_PENDING, %NO_ERROR, 0, 1, 5000) THEN
        Terminate GetLastError()
        EXIT SUB
        END IF

' Create the termination event
        glnghTerminateEvent = CreateEvent(lpEventAttributes, %TRUE, %FALSE, "")
        IF glnghTerminateEvent = 0 THEN
        Terminate GetLastError()
        EXIT SUB
        END IF

' Service startup is still pending
        IF ISFALSE SendStatus(%SERVICE_START_PENDING, %NO_ERROR, 0, 2, 1000) THEN
        Terminate GetLastError()
        EXIT SUB
        END IF

' Start the service
        Result = InitService()
        IF ISFALSE Result THEN
        ' Oops
        Terminate GetLastError()
        EXIT SUB
        END IF

' Service is now running
        IF ISFALSE SendStatus(%SERVICE_RUNNING, %NO_ERROR, 0, 0, 0) THEN
        Terminate GetLastError()
        EXIT SUB
        END IF

' Wait for the signal to end
        WaitForSingleObject glnghTerminateEvent, %INFINITE

Terminate 0

EXIT SUB

END SUB

SUB Terminate(ErrCode AS DWORD)

' If the Terminate Event has already been created then destroy it
        IF glnghTerminateEvent <> 0 THEN
        CloseHandle glnghTerminateEvent
        END IF

IF gdwdHStatus <> 0 THEN
        ' Send a message to the SCM and tell them that we are stopping
        SendStatus %SERVICE_STOPPED, ErrCode, 0&, 0&, 0&
        END IF

' If the thread has started, then kill it
        IF glnghServiceThread <> 0 THEN
        ' Not normally here in a service
        ' However, this program was written as an executable first and converted into a service
        ' There is a global hWindow that is set in the WINMAINX when we start
        ' We need to destroy the window so the WINMAINX will come back to us
        ' Is it a valid window
        IF IsWindow(hWindow) THEN
        ' Yes so destroy it
        DestroyWindow hWindow
        ' This will cause the Message Loop in your WINMAINX to exit and return
        END IF

' Close the thread
        CloseHandle glnghServiceThread
        END IF

END SUB

SUB Handler(BYVAL ControlValue AS DWORD)
        ' This procedure (by its' name) handles all service requests.
        LOCAL Result AS LONG

ON ERROR RESUME NEXT

' There is no Start option because the ServiceMain takes care of starting the service
        SELECT CASE ControlValue
        CASE %SERVICE_CONTROL_STOP
        ' Set the global Status
        gdwdServiceState = %SERVICE_STOP_PENDING

' Tell the SCM that we are stopping
        SendStatus %SERVICE_STOP_PENDING, %NO_ERROR, 0&, 1, 5000

' Stop the service
        StopService
        CASE %SERVICE_CONTROL_PAUSE
        ' Are we running and not paused
        IF (ISTRUE glngRunningService) AND (ISFALSE glngPauseService) THEN
        ' Tell the SCM that we are pausing
        SendStatus %SERVICE_PAUSE_PENDING, %NO_ERROR, 0, 1, 1000

' Pause it
        PauseService

' Set the current state
        gdwdServiceState = %SERVICE_PAUSED
        END IF
        CASE %SERVICE_CONTROL_CONTINUE
        ' Are we running and paused
        IF (ISTRUE glngRunningService) AND (ISTRUE glngPauseService) THEN
        ' Tell the SCM that we are un pausing
        SendStatus %SERVICE_CONTINUE_PENDING, %NO_ERROR, 0, 1, 1000

' Resume the service
        ResumeService

' Set the current state
        gdwdServiceState = %SERVICE_RUNNING
        END IF
        CASE %SERVICE_CONTROL_INTERROGATE
        ' Don't need to do anything
        ' We will send the current status below
        CASE %SERVICE_CONTROL_SHUTDOWN
        ' We don't do anything with a shutdown
        EXIT SUB
        END SELECT

' Tell the SCM the new status
        SendStatus gdwdServiceState, %NO_ERROR, 0, 0, 0

END SUB

FUNCTION ServiceThread(ID AS LONG) EXPORT AS LONG
        LOCAL Result AS LONG
        LOCAL Msg AS tagMsg

' Run until we are killed
        Result = WINMAINX()
        ' I had written a program and compiled it as an exe
        ' To make it a service, I just renamed the WINMAIN to WINMAINX and then
        ' call it like you see above

END FUNCTION
        Attached Files
        p purvis

Comment

program to transfer proxyplus logged files via ftp to ftpserver using port #21 only
          easily to edit program to transfer any files, see notes below.

I used Michael's method of getting source code.
          Sincerely thanks to Michael for the great remarks made in his work, and to John as well, with out their hard work up from that made this job a whole lot easier and even possible.

This program is hard coded to retrieve the log files archived in the previous listing and send them to a ftp server.
          The program will create directories on the ftp server regardless of whether they exist or not.
          In testing this program, the ftp server being a linux server, there was going to be a problem. Linux sees upper case and lower case as two different file names in most cases.

I choose to make all the directories and file names in upper case just so if you happen to network to the server and run some dos programs that keep file names in uppercase there would be no problems. Although i find lower case easier to read. If your ftp server is a windows os, there should be no problem.

one function i placed in this code was to build a directory on the ftp server.
          this program was designed to just run in the back ground, not as a service, but just as a hidden program.

The location of the source files to send are hard coded in this program.
          To make a change to allow files from the ini file, just remove the two lines of code the you see this "c:\systemplus\proxypluslogs\". And that should work.

If you place the word "LOOPTIME=XXX" like LOOPTIME=5, this program when ran will loop every 5 minutes xxx=minutes.

you can place the name of the ini file on the command line
          if not, it will search in the current directory for a file with the same name as the exe but have a ini extension on it.
          If it does not find it there, it will look for the ini file file where the exe file was actually located.

If you do not place in the ini file a location of where to place the files on the ftp server, they should go into the root directory of where you logged in.

I am tired and going to bed now.
          I have tested this program on a linux ftp server.
          any files should be overwritten on the ftp server when this program is ran.

This program will try something like 4 or 5 times to make a ftp connection before it stops and it does not log anything or display anything.

I trimmed out the remarks to be able to see my code on a laptop screen.
          This program is really a starting place for another program that will read a ini file and transfer files.

program
          Code:
          ' WININET_FTP_UPLOAD.bas
          ' Author: Michael Mattias Tal Systems Inc Racine WI
          ' Use: Placed in public domain by author 3/9/08
          ' Credits: John McWilliams earlier in this source code posting
          ' ----------------------------------------------
          'compiled with pbwin9.01

#COMPILE EXE
          #DIM     ALL

' ----------------------------------------
          ' STANDARD WINDOWS HEADER FILES AND DATES
          ' ----------------------------------------

#INCLUDE "WIN32API.INC"
          #IF NOT %DEF(%INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE_LONG)
            %INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE_LONG = -1&
          #ENDIF
          #INCLUDE "Wininet.inc"
          #IF NOT %DEF (%SYSEMT_INC)
           %SYSEMT_INC  = 1

FUNCTION SystemErrorMessageText (BYVAL ECode AS LONG) AS STRING
            LOCAL Buffer AS ASCIIZ * 255
            FormatMessage %FORMAT_MESSAGE_FROM_SYSTEM, BYVAL %NULL, ECode, %NULL, buffer, SIZEOF(buffer), BYVAL %NULL
            FUNCTION = FORMAT$(ECode, "##### ") & Buffer
          END FUNCTION

#ENDIF
          DECLARE FUNCTION GetFileSizebyName (szFile AS ASCIIZ) AS LONG
          DECLARE FUNCTION buildftpdirectory( hIConnect AS LONG,stemp AS STRING) AS LONG

' -----------------------
          ' MACROS of CONVENIENCE
          ' -----------------------
          MACRO bva(anything)      = BYVAL VARPTR(anything)
          MACRO bvaz(asciizString) = BYVAL IIF(lstrlen(asciizString), VARPTR(AsCIIZString), %NULL)

FUNCTION GetFileSizebyName (szFile AS ASCIIZ) AS LONG
           LOCAL w32 AS WIN32_FIND_DATA, hSearch AS LONG
           hSearch = FindFirstFile (szFile, W32)
           IF       hSearch <> %INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE_LONG THEN
               FindClose    hSearch
               FUNCTION   = W32.nFileSIzeLow
           ELSE
               FUNCTION = -1&  ' artificial "NOTFOUND" value
           END IF
          END FUNCTION

FUNCTION buildftpdirectory( hIConnect AS LONG,stemp AS STRING) AS LONG
          'stemp is the directory name you wish to build on the ftp server
              LOCAL i AS LONG
              LOCAL j AS LONG
              LOCAL k AS LONG
              LOCAL b() AS STRING
              FUNCTION=0&
              LOCAL  szDirtemp AS ASCIIZ * %MAX_PATH
              stemp="/"+TRIM$(stemp)+"/"
              REPLACE "//" WITH "/" IN stemp
              stemp=" "+stemp+" "
              cleandirectoryname:
              REPLACE " /" WITH "/" IN stemp
              REPLACE "/ " WITH "/" IN stemp
              IF INSTR(stemp," /") GOTO cleandirectoryname
              IF INSTR(stemp,"/ ") GOTO cleandirectoryname
              stemp=" "+TRIM$(stemp)+" "
              IF INSTR(stemp," /") THEN REPLACE " /" WITH "" IN stemp:GOTO cleandirectoryname
              IF LEN(stemp)=0 THEN FUNCTION=1:EXIT FUNCTION
              stemp=TRIM$(stemp)
              IF INSTR(stemp,"/")=0 THEN J=1  ELSE J= PARSECOUNT(stemp,"/")
              REDIM b(1 TO j)
              IF J=1 THEN b(1)=stemp ELSE PARSE stemp, b(),"/"
              szdirtemp="/"
              k = FtpSetCurrentDirectory ( hiconnect,szdirtemp)
              IF NOT ISTRUE k THEN FUNCTION=0:EXIT FUNCTION
              SLEEP 30
              FOR I=1 TO J
              IF LEN(TRIM$(b(i)))=0 THEN EXIT FOR
              Szdirtemp=b(i)
              k = FtpCreateDirectory ( hiconnect,szdirtemp)
              k = FtpSetCurrentDirectory ( hiconnect,szdirtemp)
              IF NOT ISTRUE k THEN FUNCTION=0:EXIT FUNCTION
              NEXT i
              FUNCTION=1&
          END FUNCTION

FUNCTION PBMAIN() AS LONG
            DIM i AS LONG
            DIM j AS LONG
            DIM scommandline AS STRING
            DIM sloop AS STRING
            DIM iloop AS LONG

scommandline=" "+TRIM$(UCASE$(COMMAND$))+" "
            j=INSTR(scommandline,"LOOPTIME=")
            IF j THEN
               sloop=MID$(scommandline,j,(INSTR(j+9,scommandline," ")-j))
               REPLACE sloop WITH "" IN scommandline
               scommandline=TRIM$(scommandline)
            END IF
            IF j THEN
            sloop=sloop+" "
            iloop=VAL(RIGHT$(sloop,(LEN(sloop)-9)))
            END IF

j=0&
            hangaroundinmemoryasaloop:
            j=j+1&
            FUNCTION=0
            i= Uploadfiles (scommandline)
            'this will retry on 10 times within 4 seconds each
            IF i<1& THEN
                IF j<5& THEN SLEEP 4000:GOTO hangaroundinmemoryasaloop
            END IF
            j=0&
            IF iloop THEN
                SLEEP (iloop*60000)
                GOTO hangaroundinmemoryasaloop
            END IF

FUNCTION=i

END FUNCTION

FUNCTION Uploadfiles (scommandline AS STRING) AS LONG
              LOCAL szAgent       AS ASCIIZ * 256
              LOCAL szFtpServer   AS ASCIIZ * 256
              LOCAL rsvp          AS LONG
              LOCAL szRemoteFile    AS ASCIIZ * 256
              LOCAL szLocalFile     AS ASCIIZ * 256
              LOCAL hIOpen AS LONG
              LOCAL hiConnect AS LONG
              LOCAL dwContext    AS LONG
              LOCAL szUserId      AS ASCIIZ * %MAX_PATH
              LOCAL szPassword    AS ASCIIZ * %MAX_PATH
              LOCAL E             AS LONG
              LOCAL LE            AS LONG   ' last API Error
              LOCAL szLastResponseInfo AS ASCIIZ * 16384
              LOCAL cchLastResponseInfo AS LONG
              LOCAL iErrLastResponse     AS LONG
              LOCAL dwFlags AS DWORD
              LOCAL nBytesAppended AS LONG, nTotalBytesAppended AS LONG
              LOCAL nBytesDownloaded AS LONG, nTotalBytesDownloaded AS LONG
              LOCAL sMsg  AS STRING
              LOCAL szErrMsg   AS ASCIIZ * %MAX_PATH
              LOCAL szLastErrMsg  AS ASCIIZ * %MAX_PATH
              LOCAL fSize1 AS LONG, fSize2 AS LONG
              LOCAL iRet AS LONG, szDir AS ASCIIZ * %MAX_PATH, cbBuffer AS LONG
              LOCAL iRetDelete AS LONG
              LOCAL szftpserverdirectory AS ASCIIZ * %MAX_PATH, sztempdir AS ASCIIZ * %MAX_PATH

LOCAL stodaysdate AS STRING
              LOCAL suserfile AS STRING
              LOCAL suserdirectory AS STRING
              LOCAL lfileno AS LONG
              LOCAL stemp AS STRING
              LOCAL sftp_server AS STRING
              LOCAL suser_id AS STRING
              LOCAL spassword AS STRING
              LOCAL sfile_target AS STRING
              LOCAL sfile_source AS STRING
              LOCAL slocallocationname AS STRING
              LOCAL slocalcomputername AS STRING
              LOCAL sftpserverdirectory AS STRING
              LOCAL sinifilename AS STRING
              LOCAL sfilestosendname AS STRING
              LOCAL sfilestosenddirectory AS STRING

FUNCTION=0
              sinifilename=UCASE$(TRIM$(scommandline))
              IF LEN(sinifilename) THEN IF ISFILE(sinifilename) THEN GOTO readinifile
              sinifilename=UCASE$(EXE.NAME$)
              sinifilename=LEFT$(sinifilename,LEN(sinifilename)-4)+".INI"
              sinifilename=UCASE$(EXE.FULL$)
              sinifilename=LEFT$(sinifilename,LEN(stemp)-4)+".INI"
              FUNCTION=0
              EXIT FUNCTION

readinifile:
               sinifilename=TRIM$(sinifilename)
               lfileno = FREEFILE
               TRY
               OPEN sinifilename FOR INPUT  ACCESS READ LOCK WRITE AS #lfileno
               CATCH
               CLOSE #lfileno
               FUNCTION=0
               EXIT FUNCTION
               EXIT TRY
               FINALLY
               IF LOF(lfileno) = 0& THEN CLOSE #lfileno:EXIT FUNCTION
               LINE INPUT #lfileno, sftp_server
               LINE INPUT #lfileno, suser_id
               LINE INPUT #lfileno, spassword
               LINE INPUT #lfileno, slocallocationname
               LINE INPUT #lfileno, slocalcomputername
               LINE INPUT #lfileno, sftpserverdirectory
               LINE INPUT #lfileno, sfilestosenddirectory
               LINE INPUT #lfileno, sfilestosendname
               CLOSE #lfileno
               END TRY

sfilestosenddirectory=TRIM$(sfilestosenddirectory)
               sfilestosendname=TRIM$(sfilestosendname)

IF LEN(sfilestosenddirectory)=0 THEN FUNCTION=0:EXIT FUNCTION
               IF LEN(sfilestosendname)=0 THEN FUNCTION=0:EXIT FUNCTION

stodaysdate=TRIM$(DATE$)
               stodaysdate=MID$(stodaysdate,7,4)+MID$(stodaysdate,1,2)
               sftpserverdirectory=sftpserverdirectory+"/"+stodaysdate
               REPLACE "\" WITH "/" IN sftpserverdirectory
               sftpserverdirectory="/"+TRIM$(sftpserverdirectory)
               cleandirectoryname:
               REPLACE "/ " WITH "/" IN sftpserverdirectory
               REPLACE " /" WITH "/" IN sftpserverdirectory
               REPLACE "//" WITH "/" IN sftpserverdirectory
               IF INSTR(sftpserverdirectory,"/ ") THEN GOTO cleandirectoryname
               IF INSTR(sftpserverdirectory," /") THEN GOTO cleandirectoryname

slocallocationname=TRIM$(slocallocationname)
               slocalcomputername=TRIM$(slocalcomputername)

szftpServer    = TRIM$(sftp_server)
               szUserid      = TRIM$(suser_id)
               szPassword  = TRIM$(spassword)
               szAgent = "WinInet FTP Upload Demo"
               sftpserverdirectory=UCASE$(sftpserverdirectory)
               szftpserverdirectory=sftpserverdirectory
               szLocalFile =  sfile_source
               szRemoteFile = sfile_target
              ' Open an Internet session as predefined in the registry
              hIOpen = InternetOpen(BYVAL VARPTR(szAgent), _
                                    BYVAL %INTERNET_OPEN_TYPE_PRECONFIG, _
                                    BYVAL %NULL, _
                                    BYVAL %NULL, _
                                    BYVAL 0)
              IF hIOpen = %NULL THEN GOTO ERRORINFTP

' -------------------------------------
              '      CONNECT TO THE FTP SERVER
              ' -------------------------------------

cchLastResponseInfo =   SIZEOF(szLastResponseInfo)
              dwFlags             =   %INTERNET_FLAG_PASSIVE
              hIConnect = InternetConnect(BYVAL hIOpen, _
                                          BYVAL VARPTR(szFtpServer), _
                                          BYVAL %INTERNET_DEFAULT_FTP_PORT, _
                                          bvaz (szUserId), _
                                          bvaz (szPassword), _
                                          BYVAL %INTERNET_SERVICE_FTP, _
                                          BYVAL dwFlags, _
                                          BYVAL 0)

LE   = GetLastError
              CALL  InternetGetLastResponseInfo (iErrLastResponse, szLastResponseInfo, cchLastResponseInfo)

IF hIConnect = %NULL THEN GOTO ERRORINFTP
              SLEEP 30
              cbBuffer  =   SIZEOF(szDir) - 1
              iRet  = FtpGetCurrentDirectory (hIConnect, szDir, cbBuffer)
              IF NOT ISTRUE Iret THEN GOTO ERRORINFTP
              SLEEP 30
              iret = buildftpdirectory( hIConnect,sftpserverdirectory)
              IF NOT ISTRUE iret THEN GOTO ERRORINFTP
              SLEEP 30
             ' iRet = FtpCreateDirectory ( hIConnect,szftpserverDirectory)
             ' IF NOT ISTRUE Iret THEN EXIT FUNCTION
              iRet = FtpSetCurrentDirectory ( hIConnect,szftpserverdirectory)
              SLEEP 30
              cbBuffer  =   SIZEOF(szDir) - 1
              iRet  = FtpGetCurrentDirectory (hIConnect, szDir, cbBuffer)
              SLEEP 30

stemp =sfilestosenddirectory+"\"+sfilestosendname
          stemp ="c:\systemplus\proxypluslogs\"+stodaysdate+"\*.*"
          REPLACE " \" WITH "\" IN stemp
          REPLACE "\\" WITH "\" IN stemp

stemp = DIR$(stemp,39)' %normal or %hidden or %system )
          getfilesanduploadthem:
          WHILE LEN(stemp)
          szlocalfile=sfilestosenddirectory+"\"+stemp
          szlocalfile="c:\systemplus\proxypluslogs\"+stodaysdate+"\"+stemp
             szremotefile=UCASE$(stemp)
               fsize1       = GetFileSizeByName (szLocalFile)
             dwFlags = %FTP_TRANSFER_TYPE_BINARY
             dwContext = %NULL    ' not using callbacks, so it's moot
             iRet  = FTPPutFile (hIConnect, szLocalFile, szRemoteFile, dwFlags, %NULL)
             LE    = GetLastError
             szLastErrMsg = SystemErrorMessageText (LE)
             CALL     InternetGetLastResponseInfo (iErrLastResponse, szLastResponseInfo, SIZEOF(szLastResponseInfo) -1)
           stemp=DIR$(NEXT)
           SLEEP 30
          WEND

FUNCTION=1
          GOTO SUCCESSINFTP

ERRORINFTP:
          FUNCTION=0

SUCCESSINFTP:
              InternetCloseHandle (hIConnect)
              InternetCloseHandle (hIOpen)
          END FUNCTION
          [/code]
          ini file
          notice the "/" on the 6th line for the ftp server
          like i said also, all directories and files will be transferred and saved in upper case
          Code:
          www.myftpwebsite.com
          username
          userpassword
          this line not used
          this line not used
          targetftpsubdirectory/targetftpsubdirectory/targetftpsubdirectory
          c:\sourcedirectory\sourcesubdirectory
          *.txt
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Paul Purvis; 17 Sep 2009, 02:42 AM.
          p purvis

Comment

refinements made to the code and a replaced zipped file.

the zipped file also contains the program "file2ftp.exe" which will follow all instructions in the ini file to transfer whatever files you wish to a ftp server, it is not hard coded for proxyplus log files that are stored using the pplogkpr.exe program listed above.

if your ftp server does not let you create the directory and or change to a particular directory on the ftp server, then this program is designed to fail in order to not step on or place files in unwanted ftp server directories.

Other than the linux sme server, the ftp server software written by TYPSOFT was tested "TYPSOFT FTP SERVER VER 1.11" a freeware windows os ftp server, i have used in the past that has been stable enough for most needs.
            p purvis

Comment

here is the program to rotate the log files in proxyplus.
              proxy plus will only rotate files up to 31 in number.
              this program does not care, it will probably fill your hard drive before it complains. ok it is 100,000 log file rotations.
              Once again, other than the current log file, the log file with the lowest number in it is the most current by the program proxyplus proxy server and so is the same in this program also.
              This program is need, because the proxyplus program will only turn log files at midnight.

This program will just rotate them, and it will not create a current log file, this program leaves it up to the proxyplus server to create a new current log file.

If the proxyplus proxy server is currently running as a service, this program try to stop it, before rotating log files. If the service is unable to be stopped, this program is supposed to abort out.
              If this program was able to stop the service if it was running, it will rotate the logs and try to start the proxyplus proxy server service back up after rotating files.

I plan on running the proxy server on every computer rather than on a central server, for reasons of i do not want to be bothered about a computer going down and stopping all the other computers from accessing the internet. I am only worried about at this time is web url logging and supervision.

with this program you can also turn off the auto rotate log files in proxyplus and do your own rotating manually with this program. i have no idea how big a log file can become and whether there are limititations or not.

Code:
              'proxpluslogrotate.bas
              'compiled with powerbasic pbcc50
              '
              'this program rotates the all log files of proxyplus proxy server
              'if the proxyplus service will be stopped before rotating logs and rerestarted after
              '  the proxyplus serivice keeps the current logs in a opened condition the entire time
              '  it is running as a service.
              '
              '  you have to have privleges to start and stop a service.
              '  if the service is found running and cannot be stopped , this program will abort
              '
              '  Peter Redei    wrote the function isservicerunning function
              '  Peter Lameijn  wrote the function servicestop function
              '  William Burns  wrote the function startmanually function
              '  and headers to forums are given.
              '
              '
              #COMPILE EXE  "proxypluslogrotate.exe"
              #DIM ALL
              #REGISTER NONE
              #INCLUDE "WIN32API.INC"

'http://www.powerbasic.com/support/forums/Forum7/HTML/001418.html
              '----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              ' this code is based on Microsoft MSKB Q183478
              '----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              FUNCTION IsServiceRunning(lngServiceType AS LONG, BYVAL strText AS STRING, lstServiceName AS LONG, lstDisplayName AS LONG) AS LONG
                  LOCAL hSCManager                    AS DWORD
                  LOCAL x                             AS LONG
                  LOCAL dx                            AS ENUM_SERVICE_STATUS
                  LOCAL lpEnumServiceStatus()         AS ENUM_SERVICE_STATUS
                  LOCAL lngBytesNeeded                AS LONG
                  LOCAL lpServicesReturned            AS DWORD
                  LOCAL hNextUnreadEntry              AS DWORD
                  LOCAL lngStructsNeeded              AS LONG
                  LOCAL lngServiceStatusInfoBuffer    AS LONG
                  LOCAL strServiceName                AS ASCIIZ * 250
                  LOCAL i                             AS LONG

'local lngServiceType as long (either %SERVICE_ACTIVE or
                  '                                       %SERVICE_ACTIVE Or %SERVICE_INACTIVE
                  'strText is the name to search, it is always the ServiceName

hSCManager = OpenSCManager(BYVAL 0, BYVAL 0, %SC_MANAGER_ENUMERATE_SERVICE)
                  IF hSCManager THEN
                      hNextUnreadEntry = 0
                      x = EnumServicesStatus(hSCManager, %SERVICE_WIN32, lngServiceType, dx, &H0, _
                               lngBytesNeeded, lpServicesReturned, hNextUnreadEntry)

'We should receive %MORE_DATA error.
                     IF NOT GetLastError() = %ERROR_MORE_DATA THEN
                          EXIT FUNCTION
                     ELSE

'Calculate the number of structures needed
                          lngStructsNeeded = lngBytesNeeded / LEN(lpEnumServiceStatus(0)) + 1
                          'Redimension the array according to our calculation
                          REDIM lpEnumServiceStatus(lngStructsNeeded - 1)
                          'Get buffer size in bytes
                          lngServiceStatusInfoBuffer = lngStructsNeeded * LEN(lpEnumServiceStatus(0))
                          'Get services information starting entry 0
                          hNextUnreadEntry = 0
                          x = EnumServicesStatus(hSCManager, _
                                                 %SERVICE_WIN32, _
                                                 lngServiceType, _
                                                 lpEnumServiceStatus(0), _
                                                 lngServiceStatusInfoBuffer, _
                                                 lngBytesNeeded, _
                                                 lpServicesReturned, _
                                                 hNextUnreadEntry)
                          IF x = 0 THEN
                              'failed, call GetLastError why
                          ELSE
                              'clear the listboxes

IF lstServiceName > 0 THEN SendMessage lstServiceName, %LB_RESETCONTENT, 0, 0
                              IF lstDisplayName > 0 THEN SendMessage lstDisplayName, %LB_RESETCONTENT, 0, 0
                              FOR i = 0 TO lpServicesReturned - 1
                                  x = lstrcpy(strServiceName, BYVAL lpEnumServiceStatus(i).lpDisplayName)
                                  IF lstDisplayName > 0 THEN SendMessage lstDisplayName, %LB_ADDSTRING, 0, VARPTR(strServiceName)

x = lstrcpy(strServiceName, BYVAL lpEnumServiceStatus(i).lpServiceName)
                                  IF lstServiceName > 0 THEN SendMessage lstServiceName, %LB_ADDSTRING, 0, VARPTR(strServiceName)
                                  IF strText > "" THEN
                                      IF LCASE$(strText) = LCASE$(strServiceName) THEN FUNCTION = %TRUE
                                  END IF
                              NEXT
                          END IF
                      END IF
                      'Clean up.
                      CloseServiceHandle hSCManager

END IF
              END FUNCTION

'MESSAGE http://www.powerbasic.com/support/forums/Forum4/HTML/012154.html
              FUNCTION servicestop(sservice AS STRING) AS LONG
              FUNCTION=0
                LOCAL hSCM AS DWORD, hSrvc AS DWORD, dwResult AS DWORD
                LOCAL SS AS SERVICE_STATUS, szStr AS ASCIIZ * 128
                hSCM = OpenSCManager(BYVAL 0, BYVAL 0, %SC_MANAGER_ALL_ACCESS)
                IF hSCM THEN
                  szStr = sservice
                  hSrvc = OpenService(hSCM, szStr, %SERVICE_STOP OR %GENERIC_WRITE)
                  IF hSrvc THEN
                    dwResult = ControlService(hSrvc, %SERVICE_CONTROL_STOP, SS)
                    IF dwResult THEN FUNCTION=1&
                  END IF
                END IF
                IF (hSrvc=0) OR (hSCM = 0) OR (dwResult=0) THEN FUNCTION=0&
                CloseServiceHandle hSrvc
                CloseServiceHandle hSCM
              END FUNCTION

'MESSAGE http://www.powerbasic.com/support/forums/Forum7/HTML/002086.html
              FUNCTION StartManually(sservice AS STRING) AS LONG
                 LOCAL hSCM     AS DWORD
                 LOCAL hService AS DWORD
                 LOCAL  gzServiceName    AS ASCIIZ * 64
                 gzservicename=sservice
                 FUNCTION=0
                 hSCM = OpenSCManager(BYVAL %Null, BYVAL %Null, %SC_MANAGER_ALL_ACCESS)  'Open the SC Manager
                 IF hSCM THEN                                                            'Got a handle to SCM.
                    hService = OpenService(hSCM, gzServiceName, %SERVICE_ALL_ACCESS)     'Get the service handle
                    IF hService THEN
                       IF  StartService(hService, 0, 0) THEN FUNCTION = 1&            'start the service
                    END IF
                 END IF
                 CloseServiceHandle(hService)
                 CloseServiceHandle(hSCM)
              END FUNCTION

FUNCTION PBMAIN() AS LONG

DIM I AS LONG
               DIM J AS LONG
               DIM K AS LONG
               DIM L AS LONG
               DIM M AS LONG
               DIM N AS LONG

DIM sfilenametemp         AS STRING
               DIM sfilenametemp2        AS STRING
               DIM iflagofproxyservice AS LONG
               DIM sproxyservice AS STRING
               DIM sproxypluslogdirectory       AS STRING
               DIM sproxypluslogfilenamebase(6) AS STRING
               DIM sproxypluslogfilenameext     AS STRING
               DIM sproxypluslogfilename        AS STRING

sproxyservice="ProxyPlus"
                  sproxypluslogdirectory=         TRIM$("C:\Program Files\ProxyPlus\Logs                                                               ")
                  sproxypluslogfilenamebase(1)=   TRIM$("AccessLog                                                                                    ")
                  sproxypluslogfilenamebase(2)=   TRIM$("ProxyLog                                                                                     ")
                  sproxypluslogfilenamebase(3)=   TRIM$("DialLog                                                                                      ")
                  sproxypluslogfilenamebase(4)=   TRIM$("MailLog                                                                                      ")
                  sproxypluslogfilenamebase(5)=   TRIM$("ErrLog                                                                                       ")
                  sproxypluslogfilenamebase(6)=   TRIM$("SecLog                                                                                       ")
                  sproxypluslogfilenameext    =   TRIM$(".TXT                                                                                          ")

iflagofproxyservice=0&

n=0&
              trytostopproxyservice:
                INCR n
                IF ISTRUE IsServiceRunning (%SERVICE_ACTIVE, sproxyservice, 0, 0) THEN
                    iflagofproxyservice=1&
                    servicestop("Proxyplus")
                    SLEEP 500
                 END IF
               IF n<10& THEN IF ISTRUE IsServiceRunning (%SERVICE_ACTIVE, sproxyservice, 0, 0) THEN SLEEP 1000:GOTO trytostopproxyservice
               IF ISTRUE IsServiceRunning (%SERVICE_ACTIVE, sproxyservice, 0, 0) THEN FUNCTION=1:EXIT FUNCTION

'check for existence of current log files before rotating files
              'if the current files do not exist the abort this program
                  FOR K = 1& TO 6&
                    sfilenametemp = sproxypluslogdirectory+"\"+sproxypluslogfilenamebase(K)+sproxypluslogfilenameext
                    sfilenametemp=UCASE$(sfilenametemp)
                    IF ISFILE(sfilenametemp) THEN GOTO findoldestlogfile
                  NEXT K

FUNCTION=0:
                 EXIT FUNCTION ' there are not log files

findoldestlogfile:
                  M = 0&
                  L = 0&
                  FOR I = 0& TO 99999&
                  FOR K = 1& TO 6&
                  sfilenametemp=sproxypluslogdirectory+"\"+sproxypluslogfilenamebase(k)+"_"+TRIM$(STR$(I))+sproxypluslogfilenameext
                  IF NOT ISFILE(sfilenametemp)THEN INCR L:ITERATE
                  IF ISFILE(sfilenametemp)THEN M=I:L=0&:ITERATE:ITERATE
                  NEXT K
                  NEXT I
              IF M = 0& THEN GOTO mainlogfiles'

FOR I = M TO 1&  STEP -1&
                  FOR K = 1& TO 6&
                  sfilenametemp  = sproxypluslogdirectory+"\"+sproxypluslogfilenamebase(K)+"_"+TRIM$(STR$(I))+sproxypluslogfilenameext
                  sfilenametemp2 = sproxypluslogdirectory+"\"+sproxypluslogfilenamebase(K)+"_"+TRIM$(STR$(I+1&))+sproxypluslogfilenameext
                  sfilenametemp2=UCASE$(sfilenametemp2)
                  NAME sfilenametemp AS sfilenametemp2
                  NEXT K
                NEXT I

mainlogfiles:
                  FOR K = 1& TO 6&
                  sfilenametemp  = sproxypluslogdirectory+"\"+sproxypluslogfilenamebase(K)+sproxypluslogfilenameext
                  sfilenametemp2 = sproxypluslogdirectory+"\"+sproxypluslogfilenamebase(K)+"_"+TRIM$(STR$(1&))+sproxypluslogfilenameext
                  NAME sfilenametemp AS sfilenametemp2
                  sfilenametemp2 = sproxypluslogdirectory+"\"+sproxypluslogfilenamebase(K)+"_"+TRIM$(STR$(0&))+sproxypluslogfilenameext
                  KILL sfilenametemp2
                  KILL sfilenametemp
                  NEXT K

IF iflagofproxyservice = 0& THEN FUNCTION=0:EXIT FUNCTION

'restartbackup service if the proxyplus service was running when this program started
                n=0&
                i=0&
              trytostartproxyservice:
              'a little duplication of check never hurt as in below
              FUNCTION=1&
                  INCR n
                  i=StartManually(sproxyservice)
                  IF i THEN FUNCTION=0:EXIT FUNCTION
                  IF n<10& THEN
                       IF ISFALSE IsServiceRunning (%SERVICE_ACTIVE, sproxyservice, 0, 0) THEN
                       SLEEP 400
                       GOTO trytostartproxyservice
                       END IF
                   END IF
               IF ISTRUE IsServiceRunning (%SERVICE_ACTIVE, sproxyservice, 0, 0) THEN FUNCTION=0

END FUNCTION
              Attached Files
              p purvis

Comment

In order for the program above proxypluslogrotate to do a good job, there needs to be a way for a limited user to stop and restart the proxyplus proxy server service.

A program from microsoft will let you do that.
                Get a copy of the program subinacl.exe located in the file subinacl.msi currently from the microsoft.com website.
                Execute the comand below from the command prompt while logged in as an administrator user(accout).

This appears to be working for me. If you want to be specific about a certain limited user, then replace the word everyone for the user's name.

subinacl.exe /service "ProxyPlus" /grant=everyone=to

Now when you run the program proxypluslogrotate, usually at bootup, the program will stop the service in order to capture the current log files and if the service was started when this program is run, the program will restart the service before it ends. So thereby, you should not have to worry about the commands "net stop ProxyPlus" and/or "net start ProxyPlus".

Again with these enhancements, you could actually not have to configure proxyplus to do any file rotations. This should take of those events. Only if you are not rebooting a computer often will you have to consider setting the configuration to do rotating of log files.

I am so glad this is hopefully done.
                p purvis

Comment

Working...
                X