Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what do text file lines need to make them different levels of bullet points in Word

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do text file lines need to make them different levels of bullet points in Word

I just created some indented bullet points in word, copied them to a text file and copied them back and it wasn't the same.

I also made two tiny slightly different examples to see what the bullet point symbols looked like by bindary diffing them but couldn't even find the short words after the bullet points

I was hoping to write a short conversion script to just prepend symbols to my text file.

Any help much appreciated.

I like to write in an editor and only use Word for the finished article if anyone's wondering why.

Dean,

You may have to try doing it in RTF format rather than plain text.
    hutch at movsd dot com
    The MASM Forum

www.masm32.com

Comment

WordPad can do it. Can also use NotePad or plain multiline TextBox (Edit control) and insert Tab at beginning of lines.

Comment

Hutch, Borje
        Thank you very much for your suggestions.

Comment

A Word file is NOT a text file. Current versions are actually zipped XML files. You can't replicate Word formatting in a simple text file.
          Try creating and saving a simple word document with an indented bullet list,then rename it to zip, open it and look at "\word\document.xml"

Comment

Thank you for the explanation Stuart. That explains a lot.

Comment

You may have to try doing it in RTF format rather than plain text.
              Try creating and saving a simple word document with an indented bullet list,then rename it to zip, open it and look at "\word\document.xml
              Or use the MS-Word API to create the document (not the one to get the format, but the real document.. the one you mean when you say "...like to write in an editor and only use Word for the finished article if anyone's wondering why." ) Or use that API to convert whatever your favorite editor produces to MS-Word format.

I know there are one or more samples of using the MS-Word API here (MS-Office forum good place to start) but they may be old. Use a search engine to look for "Microsoft Word Object Model [version xxx]" and you will find it. But about the "old"... the APIs are backward compatible... not true of the file format itself, as Stuart explained.

Michael Mattias
              Tal Systems (retired)
              Port Washington WI USA
              [email protected]
              http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

Right. Thank you Michael.

Comment

Working...
                X