Problem installing POFFS with Vista

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem installing POFFS with Vista

I bought a new laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium a month ago, and can not find a way to get poffs installed on it. I have tried every thing I can think of.

I first tried to just download it from http://www.reonis.com/POFFS/index.htm, where Don Ewald keeps the latest files, but my anti-virus program keeps complaining, so I turned it off. I then tried to unZip the files with the Vista, Extract routines, but it hangs.

I have tried copying my good poffs folder from my XP computer with a flash drive and unzipping with a 3rd party zip program. I am logged in as the administrator and I have tried turning off the UAC, the firewall, and the anti-virus without success. Vista still seems to not allow the unzipping of Forum4.dat and Forum6.dat, nor will it allow running update.bat correctly.

I was just wondering if anyone else has been able to install POFFS on a Vista machine. I hope Don Ewald is monitoring this forum now, and I hope someone can help. POFFS is such a favorite of mine!

Installed POFFS v2.30 on Vista Home Premium - No problems installing, works fine

Just downloaded v2.35 Unzipped with WinZip - works fine

Michael
    Last edited by Michael Shillito; 21 Nov 2007, 03:44 PM. Reason: Downloaded latest version

Comment

Thanks Michael,

I don't know what could be so different about my Vista configuratlion. I do know that my anti-virus program, Nod32 from Eset, has complained over script files with earlier poffs XP installations, forcing me to temporarily close Nod32.

I would like to know if you unzipped the files using the Vista extraction, or if you used a 3rd party program.

Comment

Does Vista do what XP does on downloaded files, mark as downloaded?

If so, then you have to use Explorer, Properties, Unblock, Apply to allow the file to unzip.

MCM
        Michael Mattias
        Tal Systems Inc. (retired)
        Racine WI USA
        [email protected]
        http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

Yes, Michael, Vista behaves the same as XP, requiring the downloaded file to be unblocked. This is actually a behavior only of Internet Explorer, not the browser I was using. I was using Firefox, and it just hangs. I installed Poffs again on the XP machine, and it installs without any problems.

The only success I've had with the Vista laptop is installing Poffs from within Safe Mode... it installs perfectly that way. But when I reboot normally and try to run the executable it hangs while trying any search. At this point, I believe the problem must have something to do with the anti-virus program I use, Nod32, even though I have unloaded the memory resident part. If I keep the memory resident part loaded in memory, I keep getting threat alerts from Nod32, it being suspicious of a script file. I may need to contact the manufacturer of Nod32 to resolve this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Dietz View Post
            Thanks Michael,

I don't know what could be so different about my Vista configuratlion. I do know that my anti-virus program, Nod32 from Eset, has complained over script files with earlier poffs XP installations, forcing me to temporarily close Nod32.

I would like to know if you unzipped the files using the Vista extraction, or if you used a 3rd party program.
            See previous reply, I unzipped using WinZip. By the way I have stopped using Firefox on my Vista machine as it hangs all the time.

Michael

Comment

The problem turned out to be the newest version of Nod32, my anti-virus program, not Vista at all.

Everything runs as it should after I disable the File System Monitor of the Threat Protection Module. I guess Nod32 is spotting some kind of script associated with Poffs files. Of course, once I'm done with Poffs, I must remember to re-enable the File System Monitor... kind of a hassle. None of this was necessary with the previous version of Nod32.

Thanks all who offered help.

Comment

Working...
              X