Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dvBTree Client Server

Patrice,
    Ever considered converting DvBTree to Client Server?
    It is one of the easiest and fastest to use I've seen.
    The fact that flat files can even be used makes it very attractive.

http://www.jose.it-berater.org/smffo...p?topic=1150.0
    Patrice Terrier
    www.zapsolution.com
    www.objreader.com
    Addons: GDImage.DLL 32/64-bit (Graphic library), WinLIFT.DLL 32/64-bit (Skin Engine).

Comment

I had the source, but not from there.
      Wondered if anyone was interested?

Comment

I found the 'blurbs' on Patrice's web site, but I could not find something which might look like a 'call summary' or even just a header file.

But I did find this....
        Full 32-bit multi-user adaptation of the original Joe Vest's B-Tree.
        Whoa, that brings back some memories. Like, converting the original from single-user to multi-user for MS-DOS. IIRC I started with someone's "almost done" conversion and finished it up for some project.

Unless I'm mistaken (and I could be), I acutally created a help file for the orignal "BT" in PB/DOS format. (For those who don't remember, PB/DOS 3.something added the ability to create your own help files accessible from the PB/DOS IDE, pressing F1 just like for the 'standard' help. Crummy process to do and not very forgiving or user-friendly, but by golly it worked as advertised).

The original "BT" was nice software, and I have been looking for a suitable project to make precisely a 'client/server' demo.

Of course, we could always put a client/server face on PowerBASIC's PowerTree(tm, I think), too; that's also a very nice index manager at a very reasonable price..(OK, so the PowerTree help file really needs some work.)

But the one question I have up front: is dvBTree an index manager only? Or does it incorporate management of the data as well?

Seems to me adding the data management to a client/server version might be fun.

MCM
        Michael Mattias
        Tal Systems (retired)
        Port Washington WI USA
        [email protected]
        http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

Everything is in the ZIP file, including .CHM and .DOC help file.
          See my previous link to José Roca's forum.
          Patrice Terrier
          www.zapsolution.com
          www.objreader.com
          Addons: GDImage.DLL 32/64-bit (Graphic library), WinLIFT.DLL 32/64-bit (Skin Engine).

Comment

>Everything is in the ZIP file

I'm sure it is, but.....

Please humor an old fart who cannot find a link to this anywhere either on the linked thread page or on your web site.

I dragged the **** mouse all over those screens trying to find a download link. So dice.

Could someone please post link or send link via email?

Thanks.

[email protected]
            Michael Mattias
            Tal Systems (retired)
            Port Washington WI USA
            [email protected]

Comment

To be able to access attached files in José Roca forum you need to be a registered user. Just register and magically you will get a wonderful new world of Power Basic sources ready to be used.

And do not forget to send José a present for his hard work

http://www.jose.it-berater.org/smfforum/index.php
              Last edited by Eros Olmi; 17 Jul 2008, 10:35 AM.
              thinBasic programming language
              Win10 64bit - 8GB Ram - i7 M620 2.67GHz - NVIDIA Quadro FX1800M 1GB

Comment

Thank you for registering. The admin must approve your registration before you may begin to use your account, you will receive an email shortly advising you of the admins decision.
                Would have been better if there was a disabled link with a tooltip that said "you must be registered to actually download this stuff."

Hopefully I will remember yet another user id and password........
                Michael Mattias
                Tal Systems (retired)
                Port Washington WI USA
                [email protected]

Comment

Well,

there is a reminder about attached file at the top of the home page forum.
                  Regarding admin approval, it is José rule. I think he prefers to have full control over who is using its forum.

Your "memory" spent to remember a new user/password is well used for José forum. You will find a so big number of interesting PB sources. I'm sure you will agree.

Regards
                  Eros

Comment

Well, step one is complete... I got an email saying I am now under consideration for membership... so at least I got my email address correct.

>there is a reminder about attached file at the top of the home page forum

But, but....we did not in this thread get a link to the home page... we got a link directly to the message thread... so we never saw the home page and Patrice did not include a warning... but why would he? He sees the download link just fine.

At least this exercise has had one Real Benefit already: Patrice's web pages are a living testimonial to the art skills he markets. Super nice pages, easy to read and navigate.
                    Michael Mattias
                    Tal Systems (retired)
                    Port Washington WI USA
                    [email protected].com

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Mattias View Post
                      But, but....we did not in this thread get a link to the home page... we got a link directly to the message thread... so we never saw the home page and Patrice did not include a warning... but why would he? He sees the download link just fine.
                      Patrice is so used to navigate on José forum (me too) that he forgot to mention about necessity to be a registered user. Once you register, the first time you log in just click on "Forever" button to stay automatically logged for life (the life of the cookie forum will sent to your PC )

Also worth to mention José home page at http://www.jose.it-berater.org/
                      Thare is a nice list of links to José works done on various MS technologies.

Comment

Originally posted by Eros Olmi View Post
                        Regarding admin approval, it is José rule. I think he prefers to have full control over who is using its forum.

Your "memory" spent to remember a new user/password is well used for José forum. You will find a so big number of interesting PB sources. I'm sure you will agree.
                        One of the sad realities of managing public forums these days. You would not believe the amount of registration spam that we've gotten over the years, and I suspect it's the same for the folks here and for José. And not all of it is automated bot registrations either; there are people who apparently are paid to just register for forums in the hopes that they can get away with posting a few spam messages for [insert questionable product here] before getting the boot. It's pathetic really, but there you have it.
                        Mike Stefanik
                        sockettools.com

Comment

Would have been better if there was a disabled link with a tooltip that said "you must be registered to actually download this stuff."
                          I agree, but unfortunately the Simple Machines Forum Software don't provide this feature. If you restrict the access to guests, they can't see the attachments.
                          Forum: http://www.jose.it-berater.org/smfforum/index.php

Comment

And not all of it is automated bot registrations either; there are people who apparently are paid to just register for forums in the hopes that they can get away with posting a few spam messages for [insert questionable product here] before getting the boot.
                            Very true. A couple of years ago, most registrations coming from servers located in Russia were spammers. One of them ended the spam post saying "Please, don't delete the post. I need the money."

Many other registrations are rejected because they use nicknames or disposable email addresses (e.g. mailinator).
                            Forum: http://www.jose.it-berater.org/smfforum/index.php

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Doty View Post
                              Patrice,
                              Ever considered converting DvBTree to Client Server?
                              It is one of the easiest and fastest to use I've seen.
                              The fact that flat files can even be used makes it very attractive.
                              Mike, If your looking for a free fast client/server database, you ought to take a minute and look at:
                              SQLitening

link:
                              http://planetsquires.com/support/index.php?board=23.0

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Mattias View Post
                                Hopefully I will remember yet another user id and password........
                                You might find a tool like Bruce Schneier's Password Safe useful than.

Comment

Well, I used my newly-authorized download privileges today...

Downloaded, extracted, unblocked all. Click on *.CHM file.

The CHM file returns a message box "HTML Help Author Message" : "The window name 'defaultmain' passed to HH_GET_WIN_TYPE has not been specified" and Help file has a nice logo but no info.

But I did find the dvBTree.doc MS-Word File and that opened OK.

OK, it's an index manager only, which was my main question.

However, I found these in that documentation
                                  In the opening summary
                                  Usually a B-Tree index does not accept duplicated keys. However dvBTree lets you use such keys transparently making them unique by adding their record number to the key without enlarging the index size.
                                  Under dvBtInsert:
                                  Comments: You must never insert a true duplicated key in a B-Tree index. [no further disclaimer here]
                                  However, under error codes..
                                  2 = Duplicated key
                                  I can resolve the first two apparently conflicting statements by inferring the presence of text such as "dvBtree actually uses more than the key value passed by the programmer to ensure uniqueness."

But if dvBtree is ensuring uniqueness, how can you get a duplicate key error?

Also, under dvBtDelete in the summary:
                                  Warning!
                                  Using dvBtDelete is a very special case in dvBTree.
                                  When you use dvBtDelete it is VERY important to close the index after each delete. Never do a Insert just after a Delete if you haven't close the index before!
                                  Ok, the warning is in red, but a bigger font size is needed; This is a significant restriction. Also, you should also add that warning on page nine (detail description of delete call).

I don't understand why close/re-open should be required. Not to mention, it would really interfere with programming as now the index file name would be require to effect a delete, and the "hBtFile&" can change after each delete(on the 're-open.')

As far as addding the data file management... well let me think on that... but before that, I have a question on one of your data (non-index) file management functions. I don't know how this can even work:

Function: dvFGet&(ByVal hFile&, zBuf)

Syntax: ErrCode& = dvFGet&(hFile&, zBuf)

Parameters:
                                  • hFile& The 32-bit file handle that was assigned when the file was first opened.
                                  • zBuf The ASCIIZstring that is to receive the data. Length of Buf$ determines how many bytes are to be read.
                                  How can this work without passing the length (size?) of the ASCIIZ string? An ASCIIZ string is passed by address only and its size cannot be determined from only the address.

????

Ok, back to the issue at hand... I don't think this is a good application to convert to a client-server architecuture, except perhaps as a pure "demo."

The problem is, getting only the keydata ("record number") back from the server still leaves the problem of getting the associated data itself; and if the index requires client-server, sure as heck getting the data will need to be client-server as well.

dvBtree could, however, be a very useful server-side component of a client-server data manager; however, for that purpose it could be used in the out-of-the-box format, since only the server would be using it and the calls to insert, delete and find are more than sufficient.

MCM
                                  Michael Mattias
                                  Tal Systems (retired)
                                  Port Washington WI USA
                                  [email protected]

Comment

An updated version is now on Jose Roca's site today, 12/24/2011.
                                    It doesn't add anything new, but files are now current.
                                    Dvbtree.bas compiles to 45,056 bytes with PB9
                                    Dvbtree.bas compiles to 47,616 bytes with PB10.

The current version is dated 06-22-2002.
                                    The dvBtAfter& function now reflects a change on 06-26-2002.
                                    http://www.jose.it-berater.org/smffo...p?topic=1150.0

Comment

Working...
                                    X