Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick PDF Library (formerly iSEDQuickPDF) discount for PowerBASIC users

Hi Everyone,

This is just a quick announcement to let you know that we’re running a promotion for our PDF SDK, Quick PDF Library, aimed at PowerBASIC users. For the next two weeks, PowerBASIC users will be eligible for a 40% discount when purchasing Quick PDF Library. The normal purchase price is US$149, which means you’ll only need to pay US$89.40. Considering that you don’t need to pay any royalties when you use this library in your applications, we think it’s a pretty good deal.

To get the discount all you need to do is enter the coupon listed below when going through the purchase process. The promotion expires on Feb 28, 2009, so be quick!

Coupon: POWERBASIC

Purchase URL: http://www.quickpdflibrary.com/store/quickpdf/index.php

If you purchase now then you will also receive a free upgrade to the next version, which will include support for AES 128-bit encryption, digital signatures and updated support for PowerBASIC, as well numerous bug fixes and other improvements – the new version should be released within the next 1-2 months.

Some background for users who are already familiar with the library:

Debenu has acquired all of the rights to Quick PDF Library (formerly known as iSEDQuickPDF and QuickPDF). Official development and support for the library stalled in recent years but you’ll be pleased to know that this is no longer the case and that we’re working extremely hard on developing the next version of the library.

If you have any questions or feedback on the library, don’t hesitate to let us know.
    Rowan

I sent you an email just now with my questions.

Thanks,

Bob Mechler

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Bob, we've received your message and will reply asap. Cheers.
      Rowan

Comment

Rowan;

If I may, I'd like to suggest a "theory of operation" and "getting started" sections for the documentaiton. We purchased 2 licenses at work, but frankly, we're not going to be using is as soon as we had hoped. The functions are all well doumened, but we're not sure how to use them.
        Real programmers use a magnetized needle and a steady hand

Comment

I must agree.

I want to use the lib too.

A little "getting started" about loading, viewing and
          printing a document, would be helpfull.
          sigpic
          Regards,
          Hans Rietveld.

Comment

Good deal on what appears to be an excellent PDF library but I have to agree with Bud and Hans, some simple demo code showing the ropes would be very helpful.
            Regards,
            Marc

Comment

This is how I start most of my reports using the iSed library. Perhaps it will be of some help:
              Code:
                  '
                  '---Add Standard Fonts---
                  '
                  FOR iFont& = 0 TO 10
                      x& = iSEDAddStandardFont(iFont&)
                  NEXT
                  BoldText& = iSedAddTrueTypeFont("Arial Rounded MT Bold",1)
                  '
                  '---Create the new PDF file---
                  '
                  gRptTitle$ = "Report Heading here"                          '--GLOBAL--
                  '
                  DocID&= iSedNewDocument()                                 '--Start New
                  dRet  = iSedSetMeasurementUnits(2)                       ' Inches
                  dRet  = iSedSelectDocument(DocID&)
                  dRet  = iSEDSetPageSize("Letter Portrait")               ' Landscape or Portrait
                  dRet  = iSEDSetOrigin(1)                                       ' Top left corner

HeaderFont& = iSEDAddStandardFont(%HeaderFont)    ' Helvetica bold
                  BodyFont&   = iSEDAddStandardFont(%BodyFont)        ' Helvetica
              Then in the body of the print job, something like this:
              Code:
                      '
                      '---Print Some Stuff---
                      '
                      IF PrintLine& > 9 THEN
                         IF PrintLine& <> 99 THEN dRet = iSEDNewPage 'dont FF for first page
                         GOSUB ReportHeading
                         hLeft = 0.3
                         hTop  = 1.50
                      END IF
                      '
                      '--- Get a graphic from the disk ---
                      '
                      PhotoID& = iSEDAddImageFromFile("../private/images/" + Photo,0)
                      iSEDSelectImage(PhotoID&)
                      iSEDDrawImage(hLeft, hTop-.1, Photo_Height, Photo_Width)
                      iSEDDrawScaledImage(hLeft+.25, hTop-.2, .4)

SavehTop! = hTop

CALL iSEDSetTextColor(0, 0, 0)      'Set default colors
                      dRet  = iSEDSelectFont(%BodyFont)   'Select Body font
                      dRet  = iSEDSetTextSize(10)         '--and size
                      dRet  = iSEDSetTextAlign(0)         '--Left Aligned on the page
                      '--- 'draw' the text ---
                      dRet  = iSedDRAWTEXT(hLeft + 1.3, hTop, BYCOPY LastName$)
                      hTop  = hTop + .18                  '-- Drop a line
                      dRet  = iSedDRAWTEXT(hLeft + 1.5, hTop, HoH_Name$ + " (" + HoH_DOB$ +")" )        
                      hTop  =  hTop + .19                 '-- and another slightly higher
                      IF TRIM$(Spouse_Name$) > "" THEN
                         dRet  = iSedDRAWTEXT(hLeft + 1.5, hTop, Spouse_Name$ + " (" + Spouse_DOB$ +")" )
                      END IF
                      '--- Now 'draw' the addresses ---
                      xTop! = hTop
                      hTop = SaveHTop!
                      FOR i& = 1 TO 3
                          dRet& = iSEDDrawText(hLeft + 3.3, hTop, BYCOPY Adr$(i&))
                          IF TRIM$(Adr$(i&)) > "" THEN hTop = hTop + .18 '-- Add line if address text exists
                      NEXT
                      dRet& = iSEDDrawText(hLeft + 3.3, hTop, Adr$(4) & ". " & Adr$(5))
                      '
                      hTop = hTop + .86               'Set for next 'paragraph/text block'
                      PrintLine& = hTop

GetNextName:  
                      Rec1$ = TRM_GETNEXT(hFile&)
                  LOOP
              and finally, close the document:
              Code:
                  CALL iSedSaveToFile(BYCOPY x$)       '--Could also be 'preview'
                  CALL iSedRemoveDocument(DocID&)
              All in all, its pretty easy to create basic PDF documents, certainly no more difficult that DDoc (which I love too!). The neat thing is that there are SO many more options but only if you want/need them. The basics are pretty basic.
              Software makes Hardware Happen

Comment

How fast is the raster rendering? I would like to display PDF pages on screen in my OpenGL based software. I would have to have it render it to a raster and then load that as a texture.
                Last edited by RyanCross; 20 Feb 2009, 11:15 AM.
                Thank you,
                Ryan M. Cross

Comment

Originally posted by Bud Durland View Post
                  Rowan;

If I may, I'd like to suggest a "theory of operation" and "getting started" sections for the documentaiton. We purchased 2 licenses at work, but frankly, we're not going to be using is as soon as we had hoped. The functions are all well doumened, but we're not sure how to use them.
                  Hi Bud,

We're planning (and currently working on) samples and tutorials for the new version of Quick PDF Library. This will include a new getting started guide which will explain how to begin using the library in a variety of different languages.

We're also working on some sample applications that will demonstrate some of the functionality of the library to new users who aren't 100% familiar with the ins-and-outs of PDF.

If you don't mind me asking, what sort of functionality are you interested in adding to your applications? Perhaps we can provide you with some early samples to get you started.
                  Rowan

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Rietveld View Post
                    I must agree.

I want to use the lib too.

A little "getting started" about loading, viewing and
                    printing a document, would be helpfull.
                    Hi Hans,

I'll try to make sure we include some example code for loading, view and printing documents using PowerBASIC. We will be adding a knowledge base shortly as well that will include more examples.

Thanks for your patience.
                    Rowan

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Giao View Post
                      Good deal on what appears to be an excellent PDF library but I have to agree with Bud and Hans, some simple demo code showing the ropes would be very helpful.
                      Hi Marc,

Understood -- we'll include some sample code to help get new users started. Are there any particular functions that you would like to see sample code for?
                      Rowan

Comment

Originally posted by RyanCross View Post
                        How fast is the raster rendering? I would like to display PDF pages on screen in my OpenGL based software. I would have to have it render it to a raster and then load that as a texture.
                        Hi Ryan,

The rendering speed will be unique to each file. PDFs come in all shapes and sizes, so it's very difficult to provide a figure that would be accurate. Would it be possible for you to send us some of your PDFs as examples that we could test with?

You can email them to rowan.hanna (at) debenu.com if you're able to share them.
                        Rowan

Comment

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the code snippet, just what the doc ordered, it gives me a slightly better idea on how the library is used. I also have ddoc and second your comment... Well spent money.

I know there are quite a few Quick PDF (iSEDQuickPDF) users on this forum, hopefully they realize what a great opportunity it is to have Rowan Hanna on the forum and chime in with snippets, questions and suggestions.
                          Regards,
                          Marc

Comment

Originally posted by Rowan Hanna View Post
                            If you don't mind me asking, what sort of functionality are you interested in adding to your applications? Perhaps we can provide you with some early samples to get you started.

At work, I have several applications that create reports -- sales orders, statements, shipping documents. Right now I use DDOC to print to a "PDF Creator" printer. This works well enough, but there are sometimes glitches -- timing issues waiting for the PDF file to be created, sometimes the recipient cannot read the PDF file, etc. Since most of these are created by automated processes, there's no need for the preview functionality of DDOC. I'd like to be able to simple create & ship a more "proper" PDF file.

So, something like the example code that Joe posted would be ideal, showing how to create a document in memory, place text, lines and simple graphics, add pages, go back and add proper page numbers ("page x of y"), close & save the document.

It looks like this is going to be a very cool addition to my toolbox once I get it all figured out.
                            Real programmers use a magnetized needle and a steady hand

Comment

Originally posted by Rowan Hanna View Post
                              Hi Ryan,

The rendering speed will be unique to each file. PDFs come in all shapes and sizes, so it's very difficult to provide a figure that would be accurate. Would it be possible for you to send us some of your PDFs as examples that we could test with?

You can email them to rowan.hanna (at) debenu.com if you're able to share them.
                              I don't have any PDFs made since there's no way for me to display them in a OpenGL app.

It seems you can render on a per page basis. How long does it take to render a page?
                              Thank you,
                              Ryan M. Cross

Comment

Hi everybody.

Using the iSEDQuickPDF as COM server.
                                It is a little bit faster (I think) and it is easier to use.

First extract the iSED.DLL from the iSQP0511AX zip file and store it in the
                                system map. (system32) and register the dll.

Use the Pb com browser to create the interface and store it as iSED.inc
                                somewhere in the path.

Here is some code to show how it is done.

Code:
                                #COMPILER PBCC 5, PBWIN 9  ' Version 9 and 5 only
                                #COMPILE EXE
                                #DIM ALL

' Build includefile with the Pb com browser
                                #INCLUDE  "iSED.inc"

FUNCTION PBMAIN () AS LONG

LOCAL test    AS LONG
                                    LOCAL myfile  AS STRING
                                    LOCAL myww    AS STRING
                                    LOCAL xx      AS VARIANT

' create object
                                    LOCAL iquickpdf AS Int_IQuickPDF
                                    LET iquickpdf = NEWCOM CLSID GUID$("{0BD8488D-4D9A-43BB-9F0A-3667DE28AFBC}")

' Is object valid
                                    IF ISFALSE ISOBJECT(iQuickPDF) THEN
                                        MSGBOX "Unable to open or start Ised.dll!"
                                        EXIT FUNCTION
                                    END IF

' Insert licensekey
                                    myww = UCODE$("insert licensekey string here")         ' Insert lincence number between the quotes
                                    iquickpdf.UnlockKey(myww)
                                    ' Check for unlocked
                                    test = iquickpdf.UnlockEd
                                    MSGBOX STR$(test) & "    (0 = locked)"

' Load a pdf file
                                    myfile = UCODE$("XXXXX.PDF")                            ' Insert the name of a PDF file, available in the path
                                    iquickpdf.LoadFromFile(myfile)
                                    test = iquickpdf.PageCount
                                    MSGBOX STR$(test) & " pages"

' Select first page
                                    iquickpdf.SelectPage(1)
                                    ' Set render quality (1 to 100)
                                    iquickpdf.SetJPEGQuality(100)               ' 1 to 100

' select output file
                                    myfile = UCODE$("TEST1.JPG")
                                    ' render the first page
                                    iquickpdf.RenderDocumentToFile(300, 1, 1, 1, myfile)

OPEN "mypic.jpg" FOR OUTPUT AS #1
                                       PRINT #1, VARIANT$(xx)
                                    CLOSE #1

END FUNCTION
                                sigpic
                                Regards,
                                Hans Rietveld.

Comment

QuickPDF ... help and samples

Hi All!

At
                                  http://www.quickpdf.org/forum/
                                  you can find samples and help since four years now ;-)

Cheers, Ingo

Comment

Hi Rowan

I think you might take the manual of ChartDirector by Advanced Software Engineering Limited as a reference. Starting with the basics it is quite easy to generate soon sophisticated charts using the manual.

While I feel it will not be possible to document all 500+ calls right from the beginning this detailed, I think it is the correct way to go...

I would expect there to be at least two nontrivial samples like a
                                    - typical bill (with barcode, logo and using several fonttypes and sizes (e.g. small font for serial numbers) and a
                                    - contract with a few paragraphs and a pagebreak

Please pay in particular attention to explain more why (and not how) you do it in a certain way - how can be understood studying the samples...

Walter

Comment

Thanks for the tip

Originally posted by Walter Schütz View Post
                                      Hi Rowan

I think you might take the manual of ChartDirector by Advanced Software Engineering Limited as a reference. Starting with the basics it is quite easy to generate soon sophisticated charts using the manual.

While I feel it will not be possible to document all 500+ calls right from the beginning this detailed, I think it is the correct way to go...

I would expect there to be at least two nontrivial samples like a
                                      - typical bill (with barcode, logo and using several fonttypes and sizes (e.g. small font for serial numbers) and a
                                      - contract with a few paragraphs and a pagebreak

Please pay in particular attention to explain more why (and not how) you do it in a certain way - how can be understood studying the samples...

Walter
                                      Thanks for the tip Walter. I have downloaded the help manual for ChartDirector. You're right, they tend to focus more on the why than just a pure function guide and do a very good job.

We have a pretty comprehensive function reference, but we need to add a more comprehensive getting started/help manual to provide new users with a little more direction when they first start using our library.

By the way -- we'll be releasing a public beta version of 7.12 in the next couple of days. The beta will include a few more samples, but it won't include the comprehensive new documentation that we have planned just yet.
                                      Rowan

Comment

Good news,

The promised 7.12 beta 1 is out:

http://www.quickpdflibrary.com/blog/
                                        Regards,
                                        Marc

Comment

Working...
                                        X