Which Resource Editor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Resource Editor?

I've been using PowerBASIC's ability to create resource files, but my needs are growing some so I looked around and found these - both freeware and $ware.

Are any of these the overwhelming favorites of PowerBASIC programmers, or do most folks just go ahead make their own within the PB IDE?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Freeware ===============

XN Resource Editor (top of Goggle search for "resource editor"
    http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/d10resourceeditor.htm

Resource Hacker (2nd listing in Google search for "resource editor"
    http://angusj.com/resourcehacker/

ResEdit
    http://www.resedit.net/

ResEd (site is down, but mirror still up)
    http://www.radasm.com/

$$$$$ ===================

Resource Builder $59 v3.0 Nov 08
    http://www.resource-builder.com/

Restorator 2007 Resource Editor $81 July 07
    http://www.bome.com/Restorator/

Resource Tuner $40 Aug 08
    http://www.restuner.com/

Can you explain why?
    Only for dialogs i can imagne, there is this editor comming with pb already.
    There rest is usually coding stuff.
    hellobasic

Comment

ResEdit
      Never tried any of the others ( no need to)
      Before ResEdit I used BC++ 5.0.

James

Comment

Hi Edwin,

Yes, for dialog resources.

I've been manually coding icon/bitmap resource files and that works fine. Now I'd like to add string tables - which doesn't seem particularly difficult either.

But, thinking that I might eventually add other items into the resource file I just started looking at the resource editors that are available.

I don't have any pressing reason, just wondering what tool makes the most sense to consider if I go beyond PowerBASIC's abilities.

In my past life, I NEVER used a resource file. I just bundled up stuff I needed and used INNO to ship it all out. I read in whatever I needed from the original files. With PowerBASIC, where some of the graphic controls only take input from resource files, I at least had to consider the use of resource files.

The answer from the forum community could be that "We rarely use resource files!". I just don't have a sense of how pervasive their use it.

Comment

I use resources a lot but only for a few types like:
          RCDATA
          BITMAP
          ICON

The dialog editor is old fashion but could work.
          Afaik there is a newer one somewhere which handles common controls.

To add an image you don't need an editor:
          IMAGE1 BITMAP "c:\\folder1\\image1.bmp"

For the static class you can use the caption part to load the image (+ styles)
          hellobasic

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Beene View Post
            (...)
            Now I'd like to add string tables - which doesn't seem particularly difficult either.

(...)
            International? I mean strings for different languages (locales) stored in 1 string table resource? Or just for 1 language, which is far easier. Once you know the trick you may use rc.exe (the Microsoft res editor) and pbres.exe without any trouble. No need to download a different brand.

See my Easter Date Calculator. It "speaks" different languages, even Welsh and 3 different tastes of German, to mention a few. The real problem here is not the creation of the table, but to find all the foreign words your interface is going tot display.

Finally, there's my attachment. The list contains the .png extension, but these are not accepted. Since I created a .jpg instead, it's all well.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Egbert Zijlema; 5 Mar 2009, 09:45 AM. Reason: add attachment

Egbert Zijlema, journalist and programmer (zijlema at basicguru dot eu)
            http://zijlema.basicguru.eu
            *** Opinions expressed here are not necessarily untrue ***

Comment

The answer from the forum community could be that "We rarely use resource files!". I just don't have a sense of how pervasive their use it.
              The "actual" number of users I think is small. I oknow the demos I created which require a resource file have fewer downloads than do "self-contained" and on more than one occasion people have asked about compiling resources from the source code forum, and not just from my demos.

That said, I LOVE what resources can do for you.

Here's a demo I came up with...
              User-Defined Resource Demo January 26 2003

And if you also look at One From Column A, One from Column B..
              ... you will appreciate the resource script from the finished Tour Application:
              Code:
              // pppsdemov3.rc
              //
              // 10.01.04 1.0.0  Original
              // 11.01.04 1.0.1  Corrected some typos in richtext and reworded one comment here (database search)
              // 11.08.04 1.0.2  Changed claims summary report to version which shows "ALLOWED" instead of "COVD CHG"
              // 06.09.05 2.0.0  Demo for version 3.0
              // 12.03.07 2.1.0  Demo for version 3.2 very few changes needed

#include "resource.h"

#define COPYRIGHT_SYMBOL "\251"
              #define REGISTERED_SYMBOL "\256"
              #define TRADEMARK_SYMBOL  "\153"

//  ===================================================//
              //      STANDARD VERSION RESOURCE AND #defines
              // Version resource last item in this file
              //  ===================================================//
              #define VERSION_MAJOR       2
              #define VERSION_MINOR       1
              #define VERSION_BUILD       0
              #define VERSION_LITERAL     "Version 2.1.0\0"
              #define VERSION_DATE       " December 2007\0"
              #define VERSION_PURPOSE    " Provider Payment Partner Demonstration\0"
              #define PROGRAM_NAME       " PPPSTOUR"
              #define PRODUCT_NAME       "Provider Payment Partner System\0"
              #define VERSION_TRADEMARKS "Provider Payment Partner is a trademark of Tal Systems Inc. Racine WI\0"

PROGRAM  ICON     pppsabr3.ico

// FOR THE TOOLBAR BUTTONS
              ARROWR     BITMAP    arrow_right.bmp
              ARROWL     BITMAP    arrow_left.bmp
              STOP       BITMAP    stopsign3.bmp
              TSI        BITMAP    tal_white_90x45.bmp
              // Background brush for picture control
              MDICPATT  BITMAP    ppps_green_bar.bmp

// ZLIB.DLL Compression/Decompression Library

COMP       COMP      zlib.dll

//======================================//
              // SLIDES TO BE SHOWN FOR PRESENTATION
              //=====================================//

//  Defines used to order the slides at runtime...
              //  Each picture to be shown has two entries, a "Slide" entry and a "Comment" entry,
              //  The comment text appears with each slide

#define crlf                  0x0a0d      //  inverted because stored as WORD

#define rpt_provider_eor         101
              #define rpt_patient_eor          102
              #define rpt_claims_summary       103
              #define rpt_remit_summary        104

#define scr_database_search      201
              #define scr_select_remittance    207
              #define scr_main                 211
              #define scr_olv_claimlist        212
              #define scr_olv_selclaim         213
              #define scr_system_setup         215
              #define scr_report_setup         216
              #define scr_reportcenter         218

#define txt_home_screen          301
              #define txt_prov_benefits        302
              #define txt_thankyou             309
              #define txt_features             310

// To define the type of "picture" which may be either a picture or a richtext string
              // These equates are used in the program as well as here.
              #define  is_picture              301
              #define  is_richtext             305

///===========================================================================////
              ///  TABLE TELLLING US WHAT TYPE AND IN WHAT ORDER SLIDES ARE TO BE PRESENTED
              //   SLIDE can be type is_picture or is_richtext
              //   Type will come back with type in HIWRD of long integer, since all these
              //   values here are stored as 16-bit integers.
              ///==========================================================================////

PICTYPE     TABLE
              BEGIN
                      txt_home_screen, is_richtext,
                      txt_prov_benefits, is_richtext,
                      scr_system_setup,is_picture,
                      scr_report_setup,is_picture,
                      scr_main,is_picture,
                      scr_reportcenter,is_picture,
                      scr_olv_claimlist,is_picture,
                      scr_olv_selclaim,is_picture,
                      scr_database_search,is_picture,
                      rpt_remit_summary, is_picture,
                      rpt_claims_summary, is_picture,
                      rpt_provider_eor,is_picture,
                      rpt_patient_eor,is_picture,
                      txt_features,is_richtext,
                      txt_thankyou, is_richtext
              END

// TEXT SLIDES ( richtext documents)  which these do not have comments...
              txt_home_screen                  SLIDE     tsi_presents_v3.rtf
              txt_prov_benefits                SLIDE     prov_benefits.rtf
              txt_thankyou                     SLIDE     thank_you.rtf
              // txt_features                     SLIDE     std_features.rtf
              // next file is bulleted created by MS-Word as Rich text 12/3/07
              txt_features                     SLIDE     std_features_32m.rtf

//MAIN REMITTANCE PROCESSING SCREEN
              scr_main      SLIDE       zc_remitcenter_main.bin
              scr_main      COMMENT
              BEGIN
                "This is the main PPPS remittance processing screen. Either 'Open by File Name' or 'Open by Payer Name' ",
                "may be used o select the name of the payer's remittance file to be processed.",
                "As that remittance file is opened, the user is ",
                "presented with this summary showing remittance advice documents found in that file.",
                crlf,
                "On this and all other screens of the PPPS, the user may select the 'datasource', which is ",
                "the destination for remittance information storage or source for reports and inquires;",
                " as well as direct that print report output be sent either directly ",
                "to a named printer or to the What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get print previewer."
              END

// REPORT CENTER INTRODUCED IN VERSION 3.0

scr_reportcenter      SLIDE    zc_ppps_report_center_32.bin
              scr_reportcenter      COMMENT
              BEGIN
               "The PPPS ReportCenter is the central location from which all print reports are created. A toolbar ",
               "shows all available standard and user-tailored 'plug in' reports are available, and a summary description "
               "of each report is shown.",
               crlf,
               "From this screen the user may also launch the Online Remittance Viewer.",
               crlf,
               "Remittances may be filtered by date, or all remittances in the database may be included."
              END

// ON LINE REMITTANCE INQUIRY CLAIMLIST SCREEN
              scr_olv_claimlist     SLIDE    zc_ppps_olv_claim_list_300.bin
              scr_olv_claimlist     COMMENT
              BEGIN
               "When a payer's remittance includes individual claim adjudications, the on-line remittance inquiry presents ",
               "this list of claims. The list may be sorted by any of the columns.",
               crlf,
               "From this screen the user may mark or unmark one or more claims, or all claims at once, select a report ",
               "from the toolbar and generate that report, sending the report either directly to a printer or to the ",
               "What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get Print Previewer."
              END

// ON LINE REMITTANCE VIEWER SELECTED CLAIM SCREEN (New in 3.0)
              scr_olv_selclaim     SLIDE    zc_ppps_olv_sel_claim_300.bin
              scr_olv_selclaim     COMMENT
              BEGIN
               "The Online Remittance Viewer's detailed look at the claim currently selected on the claim list screen looks ",
               "like the Provider's Explanation of Remittance Print Report.",
               crlf,
               "The left and right arrow keys advance to the prior or next claim in the claim list in the order in which ",
               "the claims are currently sorted."

END

// ===========  PROVIDER'S EOR REPORT ==============================
              rpt_provider_eor       SLIDE           zc_report_provider_eor.bin
              rpt_provider_eor       COMMENT
              BEGIN
               " This is the primary detail report which providers will use to post payments to patient accounts, ",
               " prepare COB claims or create statements for patient responsibility amounts. Any service line overrides such ",
               "as procedure code, service line rendering provider or payment remark codes are shown after each service line."
              END

//========= PATIENT'S  EOR REPORT ================================
              rpt_patient_eor      SLIDE   zc_report_patient_eor.bin
              rpt_patient_eor      COMMENT
              BEGIN
                "The Patient version of the Explanation of Remittance is a 'stripped down' version of the Provider version;"
                " it omits information of no interest to the patient, such as the payer's check number and date, "
                "and adds payer contact information to assist your patients if they must contact the payer.",crlf,
                "Although you may create Patient EORs for all claims in a remittance at one time, each EOR  begins on its own Page One."
              END

//========= CLAIMS SUMMARY REPORT ================================
              rpt_claims_summary      SLIDE   zc_report_claims_summary.bin
              rpt_claims_summary      COMMENT
              BEGIN
                "The Claims Summary Report provides important summary information about each claim adjudicated in the payer's ",
                "remittance.", crlf, "Column eight (in example, the column with PENALTY AMT at the top) is reserved for four ",
                "user-defined adjustment buckets: both the column header and which adjustments reason codes are included in ",
                "these columns are specified by the user."
              END

//========= REMITTANCE SUMMARY REPORT ================================
              rpt_remit_summary      SLIDE   zc_report_remit_summary.bin
              rpt_remit_summary      COMMENT
              BEGIN
                "The Remittance Summary Report provides a concise summation of a payer's remittance.", crlf,
                "The provider-level adjustments (not applicable to any particular claim) and the control ",
                "totals shown toward the bottom of this page are shown on all remittance reports except the Patient's ",
                "EOR Report."
              END

//========= SCAN AND MAP REPORT ================================
              // REMOVED FROM TOUR FOR VERSION 3.0
              ///rpt_scan_map           SLIDE   zc_report_scan_map.bin
              ///rpt_scan_map         COMMENT
              ///BEGIN
              ///  "This report is automatically produced each time 'Scan' or 'Scan and Store' is selected from the main ",
              ///  "processing screen. Each payer's remittance stored in the database is assigned a 'remittance number' ",
              ///  "which is used to select a remittance for further inquiry or report creation."
              ///END

//  ===========SYSTEM AND USER SETUP  SCREEN ======================
              //  only change of a file name into the resource in here for demo version 2.1 (PPP version 3.2)
              //  several richtext files have had text updated
              //
              //scr_system_setup         SLIDE        zc_ppps_system_setup_300.bin
              scr_system_setup         SLIDE        zc_ppps_system_setup_320.bin
              scr_system_setup         COMMENT
              BEGIN
               "This is the screen used for basic system setup. Default folders for files, data source for input and output,"
               " Provider Name as it is to appear on reports, default printer name, What-you-see-is-what-you-get printer "
               "options, duplicate remittance handling and sort order for claims within remittances may all be set here. "
               "All options may be changed at any time and immediately affect reports."
              END

// =============== USER-DEFINED ADJUSTMENTS SETUP SCREEN =============
              scr_report_setup        SLIDE        zc_ppps_user_report_options.bin
              scr_report_setup        COMMENT
              BEGIN
               "This screen is used to set up the adjustment reason codes used to group varous payer adjustments ",
               "into user-defined 'buckets.'",
               crlf,
               "The four user-defined buckets appear on the Claims Summary Report; the discount appears on both the "
               "Provider's Explanation of Remittance Report and the Remittance Summary Report.",
               crlf,
               "This screen also controls if and where the text for payment remark codes appears on the Provider ",
               "and Payer Explanation of Remittance Reports."
              END

// =============== DATABASE SEARCH SCREEN =============================
              scr_database_search    SLIDE        zc_ppps_database_search_32.bin
              scr_database_search    COMMENT
              BEGIN
              "After a payer's remittance has been stored in the database, the user can locate all payment information using ",
              "any of several key values."
              crlf,
              " When the desired claim payments are located, one click is all it takes to generate an EOR or Claims Summary Report."
                crlf,
                " This feature is extremely useful assisting patients to understand what their insurance paid, and more "
                "important, what their insurer did not pay.",
                 crlf,
                "Searches may be filtered by date, or all remittances in the database may be included."

END

// =============== SELECT A REMITTANCE FOR SOMETHING SCREEN =============================
              // DROPPED FROM TOUR FOR VERSION 3.0
              // scr_select_remittance   SLIDE        zc_ppps_select_remittance_221.bin
              // scr_select_remittance   COMMENT
              //BEGIN
              //"This screen is used any time a remittance is selected ",
              // "for reporting, using the on-line-inquiry or deleting old remittances ",
              // "when no longer needed or any other PPPS function requiring a 'remittance number'. "
              // "The list of available remittances may be sorted by any of the columns shown."
              //END

VS_VERSION_INFO VERSIONINFO
              FILEVERSION    VERSION_MAJOR, VERSION_MINOR, 0, VERSION_BUILD
              PRODUCTVERSION VERSION_MAJOR, VERSION_MINOR, 0, VERSION_BUILD
              FILEOS VOS_WINDOWS32
              FILETYPE VFT_APP
              //FILETYPE VFT_DLL   // << FOR DLLs
              BEGIN
                BLOCK "StringFileInfo"
                BEGIN
                  BLOCK "040904E4"
                  BEGIN
                    VALUE "CompanyName",      "Tal Systems Inc.\0"
                    VALUE "FileDescription",  VERSION_PURPOSE
                    VALUE "FileVersion",      VERSION_LITERAL
                    VALUE "Author",           "Michael Mattias, Tal Systems Inc.\0"
                    VALUE "InternalName",     PROGRAM_NAME
                    VALUE "LegalCopyright",   " \251 Michael C Mattias\0"
                    VALUE "LegalTrademarks",  VERSION_TRADEMARKS
                    VALUE "ProductName",      PRODUCT_NAME
                    VALUE  "VersionDate",      VERSION_DATE
                  END
                END
              END

//  END OF FILE
              When I changed the Tour Application for the new version of PPPS, I made exactly ZERO code changes to it, even though I added, deleted and changed some slides. All I had to do was change the resource file and recompile.

MCM
              Michael Mattias
              Tal Systems (retired)
              Port Washington WI USA
              [email protected]
              http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

Working...
              X