Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Access to DB2/400 Database for iSeries and AS/400

Dear all,

I would like to know what is the best way to read and write information to a DB2/400 Database for iSeries and AS/400 from IBM.

- Do I have to use the IBM ODBC driver jointly with Perfect Sync SQL Tools ? does-it work ?

Do you know any other solution that works with PowerBASIC ?

Thanks
    Jean-Pierre
    Jean-Pierre LEROY

It's hard to tell from your question if it's DB2/400 only or DB2/400 and AS/400 native in which you are interested, but......

I've used the iSeries OBDC driver on AS/400 for access to the native AS/400 file system and that works quite nicely.

For DB2/400, there should be an ODBC driver available; you can use the ODBC API or you can license SQL Tools to simplify the ODBC calls. (simplfy a lot).

However, I'd also look for (google?) an 'OLE provider for DB2/400', which would allow you to use ADO to access the database. I have to believe there is such a thing available.

I know there's several ODBC API demos in the source code forum; and here's an ADO demo: Generic 'ADO' Connection and Query Tester (CC 5+/Win 9+) 11-02-08

The whole idea is whichever way you go - ADO or ODBC - your application should not care about what brand DBMS is in use... that's the premise of ODBC and OLE, they don't care about brand name.

MCM
    Michael Mattias
    Tal Systems Inc. (retired)
    Racine WI USA
    [email protected]
    http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

Thank you Michael for these infos.

I'm interested to have access to the native AS/400 file system; I will try tomorrow at work with the iSeries OBDC driver.

I've already a licence of SQL Tools (standard version) from Perfect Sync.

I will give it a try.

Thanks.
      Jean-Pierre
      Jean-Pierre LEROY

Comment

My experience with the ODBC driver that was supplied with our iSeries Navigator for Windows software (I believe) is very good. I've used it in various different applications (not PowerBASIC (yet!)) and never had major problems with it.

I still love the AS/400/iSeries... Still a very nice, powerful and stable platform, even today.
        Last edited by Vincent van der Leun; 19 Jun 2009, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X