• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I forgot os and video.

Vista HP64 SP2
    Nvidia gforce 9800gt

James

Comment

• Patrice added two new drawing modes in GDImage.

My tests and others show the two new modes:

AlphaBlend mode - to be 200% faster than the previous composite drawing mode

TransBlt mode - to be 300% faster than the previous composite mode.

Where fast graphics, we are talking here!

Very good Patrice!

Note, the speed improvements will really most likely be most noticable on Windows Vista.
      Chris Boss
      Computer Workshop
      Developer of "EZGUI"
      http://cwsof.com
      http://twitter.com/EZGUIProGuy

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris Boss View Post
        Note, the speed improvements will really most likely be most noticable on Windows Vista.
        TransBlt should show a huge speed increase on XP, too. I know with my old TransparentBlt routines, on XP I could blit over 80,000 images with transparency per second.

Comment

• on XP I could blit over 80,000 images with transparency per second
          ???

Patrice Terrier
          www.zapsolution.com
          www.objreader.com
          Addons: GDImage.DLL 32/64-bit (Graphic library), WinLIFT.DLL 32/64-bit (Skin Engine).

Comment

• Some things that I would really need in a sprite system is the following:
            • Write-access to raw pixel data, even after loading a sprite from a file
            • Transparancy for sprites
            • Basic resizing (stretch) routines would be more than welcome
            • Same applies to features like horizontal mirroring of sprites, though the last three items of this list are not strictly necessary when we have access to the raw pixels.
            That is something you can do with GDImage, and much more ...
            Patrice Terrier
            www.zapsolution.com
            www.objreader.com
            Addons: GDImage.DLL 32/64-bit (Graphic library), WinLIFT.DLL 32/64-bit (Skin Engine).

Comment

• I did some more benchmarking:..
              On Windows XP Home (SP2),
              GDImage (100 sprites) (I modified the program to up it to 100 sprites)
              9 FPS

EZSPrite (100 sprites)
              14 to 21 FPS (averaged around 19 FPS) (200% faster)
              Out of curiosity I tried a little benchmarking of my own and on my 5 year old AthlonXP 1.9GHz WinXP computer my code will do 100 HalRed sprites of 140x140 pixels on a 800x600 screen, in 15ms which equates to about 66fps.
              With Patrice's code from post 89 changed to 100 sprites I get 18fps.

On the assumption that if I get twice the frame rate for Patrice's code that Chris gets then my PC is twice as fast as Chris's (which is surprising considering the age of mine!) then I'd expect Chris's code to also run twice as fast at 2 x 19fps = 38fps.
              Mine is then 66/38 = 1.75 times as fast. That's 75% faster than the fastest so far.

Do I win?

Paul.

Comment

• Its funny that you mention my PantherVST software not running on an eMachine, because the computer that my employeer provided me to develop Panther is an eMachine.

My software was not designed to run on a high-end computer because it was created to run on a Proface/Xycom 1341 Industrial PC. Here are the specs of this PC:
                • PC is completely fanless
                • Intel ® Celeron® M 1.3 GHz
                • 512MB RAM
                • ATI Radeon 9250 PCI Graphics Card w/256MB RAM (added by us)

As you can see the stats of this computer are nothing great. Even the video card we add is about 7 or 8 years old technology wise now.
                Thank you,
                Ryan M. Cross

Comment

• Its funny that you mention my PantherVST software not running on an eMachine, because the computer that my employeer provided me to develop Panther is an eMachine.
                  It has been my experience that you should take what Patrice says with a grain of salt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brice Manuel View Post
                    It has been my experience that you should take what Patrice says with a grain of salt.
                    Well I wasn't actually knocking Patrice. He helped me a lot with loading PNG graphics as textures and some other things back in the day when I started this software.
                    Thank you,
                    Ryan M. Cross

Comment

Working...
                    X