Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FireFly Visual designer 3.6 (for PowerBASIC Windows 10+)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FireFly Visual designer 3.6 (for PowerBASIC Windows 10+)

New! – FireFly Visual Designer 3.6 is available…

FREE to existing FireFly 3 registered owners
    (simply log into the private forum and download the registered version).

30 day trial version available for new users.

Released on May 5, 2012, here are some of the highlights of the new version:
    • The FireFly IDE and Application Code Generation is now High DPI aware (for high resolution monitors using DPI settings greater than 96 DPI).
    • New WebBrowser ToolBox Control allows the display of web pages, HTML text, and playing YouTube videos or music files.
    • Common graphical formats such as .png, .jpg, .gif., .tiff are now valid for controls and toolbars, etc.
    • Allow specifying Tooltip text for controls at design time (new 'ToolTip' and 'ToolTipBalloon' control properties).
    • New FontUpgrade property. Automatically adjust font name (Tahoma/Segoe) depending on current operating system.

FireFly Visual Designer is a rapid application development environment for the PowerBASIC computer language (Version 10 and above). Originally created in 2004, FireFly has become an integral part of hundreds of PowerBASIC user’s toolboxes ever since. FireFly accelerates the development of your Windows 32-bit programs. All the speed of "C" with the rapid application development time of Visual Basic - without the runtime DLL overhead of Visual Basic. Every FireFly created application is totally self-contained and does not require any supporting DLLs to be distributed.

Choose from almost 200 internal functions that make combining your code with TreeViews, ListViews, Labels, Command Buttons, TabControls, ProgressBars, etc. extremely easy. You can code entire applications without any Win32 API knowledge. Best of all, FireFly is now tightly coupled with Jose Roca’s incredible alternative WinAPI Include file set. This means that FireFly now generates code using Jose’s versatile cWindow class. On top of that, you also get access to an amazing collection of almost 1700 functions wrappers that make coding your Windows application very easy.

The FireFly Visual Designer creates modular code. You are able to quickly "attach" code to individual window's messages that are destined for the controls that you create. Separating the code for each control allows for highly maintainable code and discourages the use of bug causing global variables. The code editor is built in - no need to shell back and forth between a designer and a code editor.

The registered version of FireFly comes with many custom controls that you can use easily in the design environment and use royalty free in your applications. For example, FireTextBox, FireSplitter, FireAniGif, FireImage, FireLines and FireLink, just to name a few.

FireFly allows the use of many visual OCX controls (some Visual Basic created OCX controls will not work).

Registered FireFly users have access to a private support forum containing over 12,000 posts. Help is always close by with many veteran FireFly users ready to lend a hand.

Visit http://www.planetsquires.com for more information and program screenshots.

Limited 30 day trial version is available so you can easily evaluate FireFly to determine if it suits your needs.

FireFly Visual Designer sells for $97 US.
    FireFly 2 owners can upgrade for $47 US.

Visit http://www.planetsquires.com/purchase.htm to purchase.
    Requires:
    - Windows 2000 or higher
    - PowerBASIC for Windows version 10 or higher
    - Jose Roca alternative WinAPI include files
    Paul Squires
    FireFly Visual Designer (for PowerBASIC Windows 10+)
    Version 3 now available.
    http://www.planetsquires.com

Thank you Paul for this fantastic software!
    It is a dream to work with it.

Rudolf Fuerstauer
    ----------------
    Rudolf Fürstauer

Comment

Works like a charm!

Extremely comfortable coding environment with a great compiler behind it. What more can you ask for?

Rolf Brandt

Comment

The new Firefly includes Joses headers, which are the most complete collection of API headers for PowerBasic.
        Any of the thousands of Datastructures has been checked by Jose against the output of the original MS-Compilers.

And it comes together with unbeatable complete wrappers library, from Jose and also some native Firefly wrappers.

Now this all can be used together with a Visual Designer thats a little bit like the good old Visual Basic.
        If you have been using VB until now, this may be your logical choice.

The Mix between Jose's Headers and the thousands of professional developed and tested wrappers, with the Firefly Visual Designer is a milestone for PowerBasic developers.
        It has therefore my recommendation. Taken the fact that it is optimized for DPI-Awareness, I'd say thats also the most modern sollution actually available.

Comment

Hey Paul, much appreciated, excellent update!!
          "Ok, yes... I like pie... um, I meant, pi."

Comment

Is it ok (technically and legally) to have 2.x and 3.x installed on the same box?
            Erich Schulman (KT4VOL/KTN4CA)
            Go Big Orange

Comment

I'd say YES, and that you have no other choice if you also want to use otehr include systems (for compatibility with old code for example).

While i can say that I have migrated a larger project and it was no big problem.
              Its just better to have the new dpi-aware GUI these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Erich Schulman View Post
                Is it ok (technically and legally) to have 2.x and 3.x installed on the same box?
                Yes, just make sure that you install them in totally separate folders. If you start intermixing system files from each version then you will run into a lot of trouble, fast.
                Paul Squires
                FireFly Visual Designer (for PowerBASIC Windows 10+)
                Version 3 now available.
                http://www.planetsquires.com

Comment

Support for image files other than icons and bitmaps is important because we can now use PNG icons with alpha channel in our toolbars.
                  Forum: http://www.jose.it-berater.org/smfforum/index.php

Comment

Jose, does it work with XP also, or on Vista and up?

Comment

I don't have XP.

Comment

I shoulkd have known that you only use newest technology

Comment

Theo, I think it would be more accurate to say that he's not using ancient technology. Remember, Windows XP is over 10 years old at this point. In terms of elapsed time, using Windows XP today would be like someone that continued to use Windows 2.0 when Windows 98 was the current version.

I've said this before, but software is not like wine. It does not get better with age. With technology, you are either moving forward or you're being left behind.
                          Mike Stefanik
                          sockettools.com

Comment

Windows 7 provides a lot of new technologies. Should I not use them because they don't work in XP? As far as I know, XP supports 32-bit icons with partial transparency and alpha channel, but I can't test it.

Comment

For me, Windows 2000 was the best windows ever, they could have just keep it and just make bugfixes to it from time to time.

Comment

Software such as FireFly and PowerBASIC enables us to squeeze a little more service out of older machines than perhaps Microsoft and others would like. An older PC can still perform a useful role as long as it isn't a security risk.

I think Firefly is a brilliant development tool and I wish it had been around in the days of Windows 2000.

Comment

Thats the case for all fine tools, here.
                                  I wish i have had PB 10 on my ATARI 400 (it had 32 KB RAM ).

Comment

I've tried all the other designers for PB and for me Firefly far and away fits my needs above all others. Its it easy to use and if you are coming from a VB background it will take just minutes to understand it enough to start writing. It is a great designer for a great compiler.

Doug
                                    Doug McDonald
                                    KD5NWK
                                    www.redforksoftware.com

Comment

Yes, that's really fantastic.
                                      Even very large projects with firefley remain clear and manageable.
                                      A tool that you must have!
                                      ----------------
                                      Rudolf Fürstauer

Comment

Get it Now...

FireFly is like this:

You have 4 cars in your garage and over time will drive them all... but there is one you drive more than others...

That one is FireFly ..

Single .exe to distribute no muss no fuss..
                                        Warped by the rain, Driven by the snow...

jimatluv2rescue.com

Comment

Working...
                                        X