A new IDE for PowerBASIC with enhanced project and debugging features

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JK

String Equates containing apostrophe's don't show up OK in the "Variables Window"

Comment

• Hi Rod,

Thanks - V 1.8.0.1 is online fixing this

JK

Comment

• Hi Juergen,

Thanks for the new version! I noticed something else what happens irregulary:

When I press compile I get "resource file error". If I press compile again (without altering anithing) compile is OK...
        It happens not quite often (maybe once a day or two days). Sometimes the error appears once, but it can also be that you get 3 consecutive errors, and then a normal compile...
        Regards,
        Peter

Comment

• Hi Peter,

did you compile the resource file right before compiling, or is the resource file untouched? Is this resource file on a network drive? Maybe you could supply some code for me to test, if you don´t want to post it here drop me a mail: "jk-ide at t minus online dot de"

JK

Comment

• Hi Juergen,

It happens irregulary with different files, so it's difficult to say something. Strange thing is that I even don't use resourcefiles...
            (but #resource statements...). It's not really a problem, but I found it strange just because I don't have resource files...
            Regards,
            Peter

Comment

• I sometimes get the "resource file error" intermittently when I am using PwrDev IDE by Edwin. Not sure if it has to do with the IDE or compiler.
              Fredrick Ughimi
              www.meganetsoft.com

Comment

• {deleted my erroneous report of syntax error}

...still discovering the power of this IDE!!! Fabulous work, Juergen!

Thanks,
                -John

Comment

• Hi Peter and Fredrick,

the error message comes from the compiler ("resource file error"). It means, it cannot access this file, because it cannot find the file you specified in an #RESOURCE statement, or this file is locked by some other process. This is not a problem specific to the IDE, did you try with PB´s IDE - you should get the same problem

JK

Comment

• Hi John,

"DIR$(NEXT)" compiles flawlessly here. The only thing i could think of is: you inadvertedly typed in an invisible character the compiler doesn´t like. It sometimes happened to me, that i got a syntax error when compiling, where there definitly wasn´t a syntax error. Deleting and retyping the offending line helps.

JK

Comment

• Hi Juergen,

How about adding a 0 to 31 characters conversion function in the IDE menu.
                      Of course excluding TAB and CRLF.
                      As an example, Chr$(5) could be converted to something like "[[5]]" using it.
                      It might give a clue of where this character come from and will be easy to erase...

Pierre

Comment

• DIR$(NEXT)" compiles flawlessly here. The only thing i could think of is: you inadvertedly typed in an invisible character the compiler doesn´t like.
                        The "(NEXT)" option for DIR$ and the 'DIR$ CLOSE' statement were not always supported in PB/Windows (PB/DLL) and/or PB/CC.

Yes, I AM going back more than one version.
                        Michael Mattias
                        Tal Systems Inc.
                        Racine WI USA
                        mmattias@talsystems.com
                        http://www.talsystems.com

Comment

• Hi Juergen,

I discovered the source of my problems. I installed Teamviewer (for tests because a client uses it), and it seems that it does ugly things now and then...
                          Sometimes all directories except one on my NAS are gone (also the directory holding the sourcecode), and after a few minutes they return.
                          In that time the directories are inaccessible (also by Explorer). After removing Teamviewer the problem is gone (now using Remote Desktop)
                          I didn't use teamviewer at that time, but it still seems to do ugly things...

I now only have to get used to the close buttons at the tabs. I already accidentally closed tabs numerous times by clicking them...
                          (I then have to close and reopen all tabs, because I want them in a fixed order...)
                          The old IDE method (right mouseclick on tab to close) was a lot less prone to accidental closures...

During some tests with an NTP program I accidentally found another glitch:
                          The IDE has a clock in the taskbar. If I change the date/time on my computer, the IDE clock gets neatly updated, but not the date...
                          Last edited by Peter Lameijn; 16 Feb 2017, 03:28 PM.
                          Regards,
                          Peter

Comment

• Hi Peter,

well, if you click the close button - it closes ...

... did you know you can sort the tabs by drag and drop. So, if you closed one by accident, just open it again and place it wherever you wish.

@Pierre

It sometimes happened to me ...
                            i also had this problem with PB´s IDE sometimes - most of times the compiler is correct and there is a bracket, a comma, whatever missing or too much, in rare cases it is an unwanted (and invisible character) the compiler doesn´t like. Deleting and retyping this line (no copy/paste because this hidden character would be copied and pasted again) always solved this problem. I don´t know, if Scintilla can do that (most probably - yes), i think about it.

JK

Comment

• Thanks Juergen,

I didn't know you could rearrange the tabs. I'll use that. The date thing I found because windows and IDE date/time are above eachother and I noticed they were different...
                              Regards,
                              Peter

Comment

• I had a look at how i implemented character representation for characters from 0 to 31 and at Scintilla´s documentation. Actually i did nothing special - which means, Scintilla´s default setting applies. The default setting is showing these characters in a colored box (just like $CR and $LF), and indeed i can verify such characters are shown as expected. That means the IDE already does what Pierre suggested.

Nevertheless i had cases where the compiler kept complaining "Syntax error" and there was no syntax error nor a character in the range of 0 to 31. In all these cases there was a $CR or $LF missing at the line end. The IDE is happy with $CRLF or $CR or $LF as line ending, the compiler isn´t - it insists on $CRLF. Closing and reopening a file removes the problem, because everytime a file is saved, all line endings are checked for $CRLF and made $CRLF in case they aren´t.

JK

Comment

• Two topics:

1. A problem with recognition of a macro:
                                  Code:
                                  macro mXO = lStatus = -42 : lRet = 0 : sRet = ""
                                  When I compile, the IDE pops up a pink panel that indicates:
                                  SELECT expected
                                  Expected (13): end select
                                  2. Changing key assignments:
                                  What is the APP key? I want to perform a "Repeat last Find", and don't know what that key is.
                                  I would like to change that APP to F3, and the two Help pages explain how to make changes.
                                  However, one explanation mentions "hotkeys.txt", the other "VD_hotkeys.txt"

I would also like to change CTRL-LeftArrow so that it moves the insertion pointer all the way to the left margin. I don't see any "cursor movement" functions (HOME, END, etc.), nor how to assign them to an arrow key...

Thanks!
                                  -John

Comment

• Hi John,

if you get a pink box, this is either a compiler error message (there is a syntax error in your code) or a GPF occured in that line when running your code (must have been compiled with the GPF option). In your case the compiler complains of an syntax error in your code - this is not an IDE problem.

The "App" key is on the left side next to the right "Ctrl" key. Usually it invokes a context menu just as "F10" or a right click with the mouse.

If you want to change hot key assignments, you must edit the function "usermenu" in userdll.bas and recompile. "JK_User_Enum.bas" contains all (commented) command identifiers you can use for hot key assignments. Study the existing code to understand how it works. Be sure to keep a private copy of your changes, because it gets overwritten with updates. That is, currently you must recompile userdll.bas with your changes after an update to get your changed settings again. Maybe i will add a more convenient solution for this later, but for the time beeing it is this way. Please ask, if you need more information/help.!

Ctrl + Left (Arrow) is predefined in Scintilla as: "go left one word". In general it is possible to override these default settings, but not as easy for you as a user with the method described above. Maybe i should post sample code here on how to do it?

BTW - what is wrong with the "home" key ?

JK

Comment

• Hi John and all others,

thinking about it, i decided to change and improve user code integration (aka "addons") a bit, so it will be easier to maintain your own code side by side with updated code for userdll.dll. And i will add more sample code showing how to do this or that. This will take some time ...

JK

Comment

• Juergen,

1. No problem now with the macro - I had inadvertently typed a character where it broke a SELECT structure (I shouldn't work so late that I start sleep-typing!)

2. I'll spend some time checking out the hotkey update stuff, but it's complex enough that I can't jump into it this weekend...Thanks for the guidance!

Originally posted by Juergen Kuehlwein View Post
                                        BTW - what is wrong with the "home" key ?
                                        JK
                                        I'm a touch typist. When editing, my fingers are almost always on the alpha section of the keyboard. On my laptop, the HOME key is in the keypad and is not easy to hit without looking for it. Unlike the HOME key, the CTRL and ALT keys and the arrow keys are easy to find by feel. So, CTRL-LeftArrow is a very familiar combination and used frequently.

In most editors, to delete a line, you need to get to the HOME position and select the line with SHIFT-DownArrow.
                                        In a lot of editors, if you CTRL-LeftArrow to the first word, then one more CTRL-LeftArrow goes to the HOME position on that line.
                                        But in this IDE, that extra CTRL-LeftArrow bypasses everything up to the last character in the previous non-blank line above - to me, a very strange and uncomfortable behavior.
                                        I'm accustomed to pressing CTRL-LeftArrow to move up line by line, regardless if blank or not. (If the line is blank, the cursor will be at the HOME position of the blank line.)

To me, the cursor is "too jumpy". I don't like it moving so far (jumping many lines), when I'm expecting more of a local "word-jump".

I suppose it depends on whose specification one uses to define what "previous word" means...in literal terms (go to wherever the previous non-blank character is, ignoring intervening white space), or in editing terms (go to the previous "thing", whatever it is). For many years, all the editors I've used have not been based on the literal interpretation, but have used the "editor" interpretation.

Old dogs...tough to re-train.

-John

Comment

• Hi John,

i see. The behavior is the default setting in Scintilla (the edit component of my IDE) and it don´t know of an easy way (some setting, i could change) to change it.

But if it´s all about deleting the current line, you could use "Ctrl + Backspace" from anywhere in that line - no need to go "Home"...

JK

Comment

Working...
                                          X